Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Co2 pfd (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=6368)

eDUBz 12-01-2009 06:42 PM

Co2 pfd

Just bought a co2 pfd from west marine it was on sale so i got it.
Its a manual one fits comfortable and low pro.
Was wonderin' if anybody uses theses and if so what are the advantages and disadvantages.? Thanks.

fishinkid2010 12-01-2009 10:03 PM

I have one. I only use it in the bays though. Whenever I fish La Jolla or the Point Loma kelp I always wear my regular Extrasport jacket.
They are obviously more comfortable and less bulky, but they are not always as reliable. If I'm somewhere where I couldn't swim to shore easily I opt to go with a regular pfd.
I'm sure you'll like it, but do take into consideration that your CO2 tank better be working if you truly need it.

Matt 12-02-2009 06:13 AM

Hey Edubz

I do use one, it is the west marine belt kind, I use it versus a waders belt, it is super low pro and I am not too worried about needing to float anyway but if I did need to use it, I am more than confident in it helping me stay afloat. Generally speaking if you flip, your boat is pretty damn closeby and you shouldn't have a problem getting to it and righting yourself. But always better safe than sorry.

SGV Rookie 12-02-2009 07:40 AM

Waist type inflatable

I also use a belt type inflatable with my waders or plain shorts. It allows a lot of mobility. I do keep a full type three in the front hatch just in the case that you have an extended stay in the water. I also suggest practicing in a pool. I know I can get back on fairly quick and I am a pretty confident swimmer. If you practice in a pool, the regular pfd may be the type of bouyancy you need to get up onto your yak again. I say try them all out. Living another day to fish is priceless. :)

:cheers1:

eDUBz 12-02-2009 09:29 AM

Thanks for all the input. Looks like i'll be using the co2 pfd inside the harbors, anything outside the harbor i will use the buoyant one. Both will stored onboard. Thanks again.

Siebler 12-02-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDUBz (Post 48001)
Thanks for all the input. Looks like i'll be using the co2 pfd inside the harbors, anything outside the harbor i will use the buoyant one. Both will stored onboard. Thanks again.

Dont just store them on board wear one. A stowed PFD does you no good if your get separated from your kayak or are knocked unconscious in the surf.

eDUBz 12-02-2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siebler (Post 48028)
Dont just store them on board wear one. A stowed PFD does you no good if your get separated from your kayak or are knocked unconscious in the surf.

Yes thats what i meant thanks for looking out. I'll have both with me with one on.:)