Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Electric motor battery (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35107)

baileybikes 04-29-2020 09:04 AM

Electric motor battery

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

After finishing some electric motor work for my job, my kayak covid project was to setup a trolling motor for my AI so I can get out to 9 mile and not worry about my old cycling legs failing me.

I picked up a 35lb Newport Vessels motor. Pretty straightforward disassembly - I was surprised to see a brushed motor and pretty minimal water proofing of the head unit. I plan to take all of that off and remote the controls but I want some time with it as is to round out the needs.

Battery options were a bit/heavier and or expensive than I was planning so i am starting off with just a 35Ah SLA to get things tested out and understood. I'll likely mount the battery(s) mid-hull with motor connectors near the mirage drive holes. Likely a bilge and connections for my FF and livewell but one step at a time...

Suggestions?

chibosader 05-01-2020 05:43 PM

I need to figure out how to replace my pedal drive with an electric motor, I don't think they make any specific mounts for my kayak yet, but I may be wrong. I just got my new kayak this week, a Vibe Shearwater 125, but these JUST got released and shipped out a few weeks ago. Hopefully I can figure out a way to do it. On the battery front, I don't think I can much help you on the cheap. I have purchased 3 batteries, for various situations.
I have a HUGE 70 lb SLA battery, that I believe is closer to 200ah, for a super long day at max, somewhere I can launch straight from the truck and I don't have to carry that big old thing. Also requires the battery up front... just for balance.
I then figured I'd spend about 100-150 bucks, and got 50ah AGM battery, Less than half the weight, and so much easier to move around. This thing has been great!, got it in a nice battery box too. In the box, its a little bulky still. I've never run out of juice, but the longest trip since I got it was only about 7 hours out.
Lastly, I have a 50ah LiPO battery. This thing was EXPENSIVE! even on sale. If I recall, with a promotional offer, I paid around 300 dollars for it. There is also some concerns with LiPO batteries for voltage, some claim they output 14+ volts, and if you run your motor at max for extended periods it may damage it. Overall weight on the LiPO is ~12 lbs. It is less than half the size of my 50ah agm, and about half the weight. A godsend for portability. I have yet to use it, I received the battery after this shutdown and I haven't had time to take the trip to find somewhere open to try it out. The claims I had read were Lithium batteries you could drain straight down to 0%, with no worries of damaging it, they output the same voltage regardless of charge, and they are SO much lighter AND smaller.

igotpron 05-01-2020 06:10 PM

Electric motor battery

Quote:

Originally Posted by chibosader (Post 306443)
I need to figure out how to replace my pedal drive with an electric motor, I don't think they make any specific mounts for my kayak yet, but I may be wrong. I just got my new kayak this week, a Vibe Shearwater 125, but these JUST got released and shipped out a few weeks ago. Hopefully I can figure out a way to do it. On the battery front, I don't think I can much help you on the cheap. I have purchased 3 batteries, for various situations.

I have a HUGE 70 lb SLA battery, that I believe is closer to 200ah, for a super long day at max, somewhere I can launch straight from the truck and I don't have to carry that big old thing. Also requires the battery up front... just for balance.

I then figured I'd spend about 100-150 bucks, and got 50ah AGM battery, Less than half the weight, and so much easier to move around. This thing has been great!, got it in a nice battery box too. In the box, its a little bulky still. I've never run out of juice, but the longest trip since I got it was only about 7 hours out.

Lastly, I have a 50ah LiPO battery. This thing was EXPENSIVE! even on sale. If I recall, with a promotional offer, I paid around 300 dollars for it. There is also some concerns with LiPO batteries for voltage, some claim they output 14+ volts, and if you run your motor at max for extended periods it may damage it. Overall weight on the LiPO is ~12 lbs. It is less than half the size of my 50ah agm, and about half the weight. A godsend for portability. I have yet to use it, I received the battery after this shutdown and I haven't had time to take the trip to find somewhere open to try it out. The claims I had read were Lithium batteries you could drain straight down to 0%, with no worries of damaging it, they output the same voltage regardless of charge, and they are SO much lighter AND smaller.

I’m playing around with something similar. I got a used valence lifepo4 battery. They’re used In commercial electric trucks. Mine a valence 138ah battery. Weighs about 40lbs. I replaced the internal BMS with my own cell balancer. Got it mounted in a nice pelican “like” waterproof box. Should provide me all the battery I could ever want.

Which lipo battery did you purchase? Most of these newer batteries have a BMS. And safety cut off features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk