Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   I think I had my first GWS incounter of LJ (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=27484)

MITCHELL 10-28-2015 02:39 AM

I think I had my first GWS incounter of LJ

I was fishing out off la jolla in 150 feet or so of water and the sealions were working me over and going under my kayak and all of the sudden this gray object catches the corner of my eye breaking the surface 10ft from my kayak I say WTF ....was that.... did not see head or tail just a grey boil it was moving fast the thought that came to mind was it was headed for me and veered off at the last second than awhile later I thought it was just a sealion and kept fishing but no.... sealions are brown this was grey and the size of a porpoise but I no it was not a porpoise by the way it moved and never surfaced again as I sit here and type this with that vision in my head I'm thinking a juvenile great white shark chasing a sealion
Anybody out there have a similar incounter and I no it was not a hammerhead

jorluivil 10-28-2015 05:26 AM

If it was a GWS the seals would not be around.

Geno Machino 10-28-2015 05:33 AM

What day was this?

MITCHELL 10-28-2015 06:26 AM

The middle of oct.2015

lowprofile 10-28-2015 06:53 AM

Great whites won't hunt seals until they are over 10ft. Even then most of the SoCal population eats fish and small grey whales. Now if there was a 9-10ft mako nearby the seals would be SOL. Those west coast makos are seal killers.

You could have also seen a very large soupfin, 7gill or a hammer. No doubt it could have been a white though, I ran into a rather large one there.

MITCHELL 10-28-2015 07:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I release a soup fin....why would it breach right next to my yak...

ful-rac 10-28-2015 07:19 AM

Could've been...

You never know...:eek: !

DanaPT 10-28-2015 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 245914)
If it was a GWS the seals would not be around.

I disagree. I had a sea lion zig zag under my yak briefly before I saw the GWS swim by for a closer look.

No doubt in my mind on this day, the sea lion was looking for a place out of the water OR simply lead the shark to me as a diversion. It worked.

I too was chased from the water. only shark I care not to see while fishing.

MITCHELL 10-28-2015 07:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My new toy saving time and money making my own mackerel flys :D

MITCHELL 10-28-2015 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Are you in the Christmas spirit before Holloween....

chris138 10-28-2015 11:10 AM

I'd say it was a white shark almost for sure. This is the time of year they are very common, as are attacks. I saw one attacking a sealion a few months back. Its hard to believe what you are seeing while its happening, but when you replay it in your head usually there's not much doubt. I can say for sure it wasn't a sevengill, soupfin, thresher, or hammer. Sounds like you have lots of hours on the water... you would've easily identified them by their behavior and appearance. Possible to mistake a mako for a white though....

Also as an aside, we do not have porpoise here. We have short-beaked common dolphin, which are often incorrectly referred to as porpoise by fishermen. Pointless detail, I know, but while we are identifying animals we might as well be consistent. Don't even get me started on the seal vs sea lion thing:rolleyes:

MITCHELL 10-28-2015 11:29 AM

Like I said WTF was that....

TJones 10-28-2015 02:15 PM

You think you had an encounter !

When you have an encounter you will know . There will be no doubt in your mind . Come hang out up north .

vincentek9 10-28-2015 02:40 PM

had a 12ft GWS hanging out with me for about half an hour in LJ once. i had a dead bloody YT and the blood was trickling through the scuppers. he just cruised under my yak.. then hung out for a bit. never breached water other than his fin. looked like a giant thick torpedo.

GregAndrew 10-28-2015 04:11 PM

Yeti or Chupacabra for sure!

2-Stix 10-28-2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 245961)
When you have an encounter you will know . There will be no doubt in your mind . Come hang out up north .

Come meet "Fluffy"...the Malibu local.

MITCHELL 10-28-2015 06:03 PM

Would love to fish Malibu never been there trailer parks $1000 pre week can't afford that....

TINCANYAK 10-28-2015 09:29 PM

Three wonderful encounters these past few months: Juvenile G W breaching 3 times 30 feet away off Capo Beach. Mr. You-know-who bumpy solo ride off D P break wall and the third two weeks ago during 7 foot swell surfing the Point...6 foot juvenile cursing deep in wave peeling off in channel between point and Old Mans where I was paddling out just while I was duck diving ...definitely not a mammal. Wifey hears about it and reminds me who's visiting who...da.
Cheers to all the good times!

Dail14 10-29-2015 12:01 PM

If it was a great white the seals would have abandoned you long before you spotted it or you would have seen a seal turn into a cloud of blood with half of it trying to swim away. If the shark is obviously not hunting, the seals would have been long gone before it showed up. If it was hunting you would never have seen it near the surface.

lamb 10-29-2015 03:17 PM

Wahoo? :D