Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   hauling 2 kayaks rooftop? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=17675)

skrilla 04-09-2013 02:05 PM

hauling 2 kayaks rooftop?

Anyone hauling 2 kayaks rooftop? I might add a 2nd one to the arsenal this summer and looking at ways to get both up there. I drive a 3rd gen 4Runner and currently use the 33" wide OEM rack and straps. Any input, tips, tricks anyone could share?

RedSledTeam 04-09-2013 03:34 PM

Here's 3 on top...

1 Attachment(s)
It all depends on what make of kayak you're haulin'... here's a Revo, an Outfitter and a Torque all on an '87 Pathfinder. The racks are Yakima with Mako saddles in the middle and 2 Yakima Hull Raisers on the sides:
Attachment 8873

Hogstir 04-09-2013 03:45 PM

I used to stack 2 Mini X kayaks on top of each other on my jeep. Just depends on the kayaks.

packeryakker 04-09-2013 05:31 PM

My brother and I double deck our yaks all the time. He has a PA 12 and I peddle an outback. his goes on first keel down and mine goes on top keel up. Each are strapped down individually to the rack. We drive 180-250 miles round trip depending on where we go and have never had a problem. If I can find a pic I will post one up.:cheers1:

I drive a Suburban and he drives a wrangler we have done it on both, carrying the yaks I mean.

FishNinjaY 04-09-2013 07:41 PM

I carry a Hobie Oasis Tandem (14.5Ft), and a Malibu Mini-X on my roof rack, side-by-side. It's a bit wide on my Honda Accord roof, but it works fine. I have the Hully-Roller and Mako saddles for the long Hobie. For the mini-X, I just have the Yakima Landshark saddles since the mini-X is light enough to just toss up there. I'll post a pic later, since it's already dark outside.

BUT.. for my year Honda Accord, I'm supposed to use a 48" crossbar, but mine are 55", so it works for me.

jorluivil 04-09-2013 08:20 PM

You can load one right side up and put the second one upside down on top of the one that's right side up, right?

boxturtle 04-09-2013 09:07 PM

i think the trick is having at least one j style rack cradles

Siebler 04-10-2013 08:56 AM

Dont risk having a possible insecure load. Go with a Thule Hullaport Pro or a Stacker. The cost of this is worth it in the ease of use and the security in knowing your not going to be replacing a kayak or somebodys car or even killing somebody just because you tried to avoid spending a little money to do it right.

FishNinjaY 04-10-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siebler (Post 153245)
Dont risk having a possible insecure load. Go with a Thule Hullaport Pro or a Stacker. The cost of this is worth it in the ease of use and the security in knowing your not going to be replacing a kayak or somebodys car or even killing somebody just because you tried to avoid spending a little money to do it right.

Agree.. I guess the J carriers or putting them on the side are probably safe. For some reason, I worry about them getting bent or dented or moving more in the J racks. I just feel like they are more secure flat on their hulls, on some type of saddle. That's mainly why I like having mine side-by-side. And, on my sedan, it seems easier for me to strap them down since it's not so high. YMMV.. :doh:

mralbacore 04-10-2013 11:45 AM

Try this... lol :D

http://www.mansmanbuyguide.com/2012/...lo-tandem.html

FlyFishinYakr 04-10-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siebler (Post 153245)

DITTO!!
Or you better have lots of liability insurance! :)
FFY

ctfphoto 04-10-2013 12:09 PM

I use a Thule Stacker, It works great.

skrilla 04-10-2013 12:31 PM

Thanks for the replies and the pic does help some.

Any pros and cons on J style vs. stacker setup?

FishNinjaY 04-10-2013 06:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FishNinjaY (Post 153188)
I carry a Hobie Oasis Tandem (14.5Ft), and a Malibu Mini-X on my roof rack, side-by-side. It's a bit wide on my Honda Accord roof, but it works fine. I have the Hully-Roller and Mako saddles for the long Hobie. For the mini-X, I just have the Yakima Landshark saddles since the mini-X is light enough to just toss up there. I'll post a pic later, since it's already dark outside.

BUT.. for my year Honda Accord, I'm supposed to use a 48" crossbar, but mine are 55", so it works for me.

Here's my roof.. if anyone's interested, I can snap a pic of it fully loaded next time I take both yaks out.. but you get the idea.

boxturtle 04-11-2013 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishNinjaY (Post 153251)
Agree.. I guess the J carriers or putting them on the side are probably safe. For some reason, I worry about them getting bent or dented or moving more in the J racks. I just feel like they are more secure flat on their hulls, on some type of saddle. That's mainly why I like having mine side-by-side. And, on my sedan, it seems easier for me to strap them down since it's not so high. YMMV.. :doh:

like any rack don't over tighten the ties...if you see a dimple then it's too tight. I always use a stern and bow tie down. The only thing about the j carriers is the loading and loading. I would put lighter of the two kayak in the j cradle. I know the new ones folds down making the job a bit easier.