Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Share Your Innovations (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=6394)

FISH11 09-19-2019 02:42 PM

Great write up and installation, Bob. Looks great and should be awesome when the Yellows hook up, and you get to see them on the new FF screen. Thanks for sharing, it should help guys with their installation plans.

NikitaMolot 10-10-2019 05:07 PM

thank you

2013outback 06-10-2020 06:23 PM

Some mods made to my newly acquired 2013 outback

5 Attachment(s)
Needed a cutting board and saw someone post on this thread a similiar idea, hope you don’t mind my take on it🤙🏽 Cheers. Have more mods coming up too will be posting soon as I start to learn to use this forum. I’m in Newport Beach and new to kayaking but if anyone is in the area shoot me a dm and let’s exchange numbers and meet up. Thanks guys, this forum is rad, glad stumbled upon it🤙🏽

SoCalEDC 06-11-2020 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whereubinh (Post 307844)
Just recently upgraded my fish finder on my hobie and found out that the transducer did not fit into the hobie lowrance ready hull. I tried a couple of diy on youtube to add an extension to the provided adapter and tried to attach it to the existing lowrance ready cover but it cause the tranducer end to stick out of the back of the cover. When the cover was tighten down, it crushed the end of the transducer and I didn't think it was a good idea to keep it liek that. I Came up with a pretty solid solution to mount the transducer so that it fits completely in the transducer slot using my 3d modeling skills and a 3d printer. I put in a giant open to provide maximum water flow and to prevent sand from being trapped inside the cover. I was getting tired of having to flush all the sand out after every use as the sand builds up greatly and falls all over my car roof when transferring. If anyone needs something similar for their garmin transducer, lmk. I can help out. This diy could've came out really bad if I didn't have access to a CAD software or a 3d printer.

very cool solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013outback (Post 307949)
Needed a cutting board and saw someone post on this thread a similiar idea, hope you don’t mind my take on it🤙🏽 Cheers. Have more mods coming up too will be posting soon as I start to learn to use this forum. I’m in Newport Beach and new to kayaking but if anyone is in the area shoot me a dm and let’s exchange numbers and meet up. Thanks guys, this forum is rad, glad stumbled upon it🤙🏽

cool, does that render your hatch unusable?

2013outback 06-11-2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalEDC (Post 307964)
very cool solution.

cool, does that render your hatch unusable?

The cutting board is strapped onto the lid of the hatch with shock cord. Knot on each end and therefore making the cutting board stay perfectly in place and also makes the hatch handle easily accessible . Just lift the cutting board with same hand and lift turn and open the hatch.

Tried to upload a picture and video but it’s not workIng

JohnMckroidJr 10-31-2020 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tuna Tubes

SoCalEDC 11-09-2020 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 311443)
Tuna Tubes

Cool, what are you fishing for out there that require baits that size? Big grouper?

JohnMckroidJr 11-11-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalEDC (Post 311562)
Cool, what are you fishing for out there that require baits that size? Big grouper?

The baits are generally no bigger than 1 to 3lbs, but the Small Tunas are a favorite food of many species. It's kind of like using live squid in SoCal in that everything wants to eat them. The challenge is keeping them alive and presenting them to the right species without catching a less desirable Barracuda or worse yet, Shark. So far I have taken Wahoo, Sailfish, King Mackerel and Black Grouper on them. Lately, Barracuda is all I have been able to get with the tunas, but I did have something good hanging for 45 minutes on 40lb test before I got greedy tweeked the drag just a little too tight, breaking the wire leader :( Earlier this year a World record 97.8lb King Mackerel was taken on a Little Tunny in the same waters that are frequently fished by kayaks. Wouldn't it be sick if the next world record King Mackerel was taken off a kayak?

SoCalEDC 11-18-2020 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 311580)
The baits are generally no bigger than 1 to 3lbs, but the Small Tunas are a favorite food of many species. It's kind of like using live squid in SoCal in that everything wants to eat them. The challenge is keeping them alive and presenting them to the right species without catching a less desirable Barracuda or worse yet, Shark. So far I have taken Wahoo, Sailfish, King Mackerel and Black Grouper on them. Lately, Barracuda is all I have been able to get with the tunas, but I did have something good hanging for 45 minutes on 40lb test before I got greedy tweeked the drag just a little too tight, breaking the wire leader :( Earlier this year a World record 97.8lb King Mackerel was taken on a Little Tunny in the same waters that are frequently fished by kayaks. Wouldn't it be sick if the next world record King Mackerel was taken off a kayak?

Wow thats cool. I am so jealous of the south florida fishery

whereubinh 12-14-2020 02:26 PM

3d Printed Livewell

6 Attachment(s)
Thought i share this project of mine I've been working on for a bit over a month. This is my design of a Hobie style livewell. It has a self priming tube that will prime the pump when given some speed. I was able to water test it and it worked better than expected.

JohnMckroidJr 12-15-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whereubinh (Post 312028)
Thought i share this project of mine I've been working on for a bit over a month. This is my design of a Hobie style livewell. It has a self priming tube that will prime the pump when given some speed. I was able to water test it and it worked better than expected.

Interesting, what material did you use to make the livewell?

socal.beach.bum 12-15-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 312047)

Looks like he 3D printed it.

whereubinh 12-15-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 312047)

Hey man,
I used carbon fiber additive PLA plastic.

JohnMckroidJr 12-17-2020 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whereubinh (Post 312049)
Hey man,
I used carbon fiber additive PLA plastic.

Very cool. It looks like it was made in sections that you fused together. I would like to learn more about that type of fabrication. Was it done with a 3d printer, if so what type?

whereubinh 12-17-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 312086)
Very cool. It looks like it was made in sections that you fused together. I would like to learn more about that type of fabrication. Was it done with a 3d printer, if so what type?

Yes this was made in sections. The 3d printer i used was an ender 3 pro with a couple of upgrades for better quality prints. The sections were bonded using jb weld steel reinforce epoxy.

JohnMckroidJr 12-18-2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whereubinh (Post 312109)
Yes this was made in sections. The 3d printer i used was an ender 3 pro with a couple of upgrades for better quality prints. The sections were bonded using jb weld steel reinforce epoxy.

Well done! Appreciate the info, and quick reply. Does the printer come with the software needed to make the design, if not what do you consider a good program for a beginner who wants to fab parts for his kayak? Thanks.

whereubinh 12-18-2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 312124)
Well done! Appreciate the info, and quick reply. Does the printer come with the software needed to make the design, if not what do you consider a good program for a beginner who wants to fab parts for his kayak? Thanks.

The printer does not come with any software. I personally use Solidworks to design and model my parts. This can take some time to learn as ita more of an engineering tool. I know alot of people that do you fusion 360 to cad for 3d printing as it is free and more user friendly. You should check that out.

JohnMckroidJr 12-20-2020 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whereubinh (Post 312136)
The printer does not come with any software. I personally use Solidworks to design and model my parts. This can take some time to learn as ita more of an engineering tool. I know alot of people that do you fusion 360 to cad for 3d printing as it is free and more user friendly. You should check that out.

Good to know, I am checking out Fusion 360 -- Thanks.

socal.beach.bum 12-20-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whereubinh (Post 312136)

Solid works? Wow how did you swing a license? I pay almost $100k per seat for my engineers.

tomahawk 12-20-2020 09:27 PM

Solidworks and ProE both used to be available in student versions to students. My son used the ProE version when he was in school. I think you meant $10K per seat (I did a web search and that is what I saw), still not for the casual user. I also read something that said Solidworks gives a free version to start ups.