Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Flying fish Flying sharks and calicos (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29407)

HobieOneCanoebe 06-25-2016 05:32 PM

Flying fish Flying sharks and calicos

Went out last weekend on Fathers day around 2pm looking to get some yt to BBQ up on the beach.
Started out at table tops and made my way parallel to the beach and into my favorite channel out there the tide was pretty low and I almost dry docked my self checking out one of the big tabletop reefs on the way out lol
Saw a couple kids fishing the inside reef on a little paddle board and decided to drop my sabiki down got a barelycudda almost instantly.
After that I decided to make the paddle out about a mile to the kelp, when I was coming up on it maybe a couple hundred yards away I saw a nice sized mako go fully airborn ass over tea kettle so I paddled over to drop a :jig: on his head.
I was tieing on my surface iron in dead calm water when this mako decided to do another full flip 3 feet away from my yak I got a better look it was about a 4-5 foot mako just showing off for me.
Threw out my crocodile a few times after no luck with the iron and landed a nice calico all the way out there, once that happened I started throwing the 4" fish trap and hooked into a school of giant mackies.
At that point I did another hour or two of slow trolling a mackie and saw a school of flying fish being chased through the kelp good sign for this time of year, but I was good and tired so I headed in caught like 4 more calico on the inside and called it a day.

taggermike 06-28-2016 08:28 AM

With all the warm water n exotics around last summer I expected to see flying fish in LJ. But didn't. Fliers are fun to see getting chased around. Time to fish the skip jig. Thanks for the report. Mike

YakDout 06-28-2016 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taggermike (Post 264245)
With all the warm water n exotics around last summer I expected to see flying fish in LJ. But didn't. Fliers are fun to see getting chased around. Time to fish the skip jig. Thanks for the report. Mike

Saw two or three flying fish over the canyon and down by blacks two weeks ago when I was out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HobieOneCanoebe 06-28-2016 04:37 PM

skip jig

What kind of skip jig do you use? I use a big popper or top water wax wing right now

HobieOneCanoebe 06-28-2016 04:38 PM

turtle

Also a turtle was spotted in the surf there yesterday crazy stuff hopefully the dodos are next

PapaDave 06-30-2016 06:42 AM

Saw a flying fish at DP last weekend, mixed in with the massive school of anchovies.

FullFlavorPike 06-30-2016 07:55 AM

I was offshore in my friend's RIB a few years ago. We scared some flying fish fry, and one of them leapt out of the water and landed right on the cushion next to me. It was about an inch long, and otherwise perfectly formed. Really cool looking little guy. I let him go so that the swords would have something to eat.

Snags 06-30-2016 08:13 AM

Have never seen them here but used to see big schools
all the time when I lived in Australia. So cool and always a good sign that Marlin were around. They love them.
Maybe some lucky kayaker will hook up to a Marlin this summer.

Denis_Ruso 06-30-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snags (Post 264363)
Have never seen them here but used to see big schools
all the time when I lived in Australia. So cool and always a good sign that Marlin were around. They love them.
Maybe some lucky kayaker will hook up to a Marlin this summer.

If I recall correctly there was a kayaker that hooked a Marlin off Dana Point last year. Towed him out to sea for a mile and half and after 2 1/2 hours broke off.

So maybe someone will land one this year.

Zed 06-30-2016 12:02 PM

Sammons landed one off LJ years (shit over a decade) ago*.

*East Cape motherships dont count.

taggermike 06-30-2016 06:03 PM

Pretty much and surface iron can be skipped. Keep the rod up n wind fast. Mike

YakDout 06-30-2016 06:36 PM

High gear ratios. 7.1 and up help

maquinapescado 06-30-2016 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zed (Post 264376)
Sammons landed one off LJ years (shit over a decade) ago*.

*East Cape motherships dont count.

I asked Sammons and he said he has never landed one in US waters. I asked him over this past winter. He said to his recollection, he doesn't believe it has been done in US waters.....landing a marlin in US waters. Maybe he can chime in on this.

I've done a lot of marlin fishing from power boats and catching one from kaykak definitely has my attention.

Zed 06-30-2016 07:25 PM

Surprised. I thought he spent hours out off the canyon on one. My bad.

Bruntoj 06-30-2016 07:47 PM

Can anyone give me info about where I'm allowed to kayak fish in the tabletops/George's/Cardiff Reef area? I was trying to use the DFG website/webapp and it shows a protected region around there. I've surfed there a lot but want to try fishing. Only been fishing the bays and Carlsbad lagoon so far, looking to try some open water in North county.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YakDout 06-30-2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zed (Post 264404)
Surprised. I thought he spent hours out off the canyon on one. My bad.

That was my understanding as well. That his first kayak marlin was local.

HobieOneCanoebe 06-30-2016 08:58 PM

Bruntoj

Hey Bruntoj the marine protected area ends at tabletops. I use the 30ft tall sea wall as my marker if you are south of the sea wall you are good. You can fish tabletops no worries I do it twice a week and have never had a problem. Don't venture too far north though if you're in front of seaside parking lot at all you're in the protected zone. The northern border of the marine protected zone is at moonlight beach..if I want to fish North of the zone I'll go to Ponto walk my @ss about 1/4 mile south of where the cliff starts and go straight out, there is good kelp & even reef if you look hard. Other than that I like going out of warm water jetties real fishy place.

If you want to do some research on your own just look up Swamis mpa to find out where to go and you can get a nautical chart to find fishy areas look for big drop offs, high spots, etc. I'll have some video out soon on youtube.

HobieOneCanoebe 06-30-2016 09:00 PM

9 mile bank

Marlin are one fun species to catch we used to see alot on the 9 mile bank back when we had access to a pb. It would make my fishing year to see someone land a big one off a kayak bring a camera if you'll be trying!!!!

PapaDave 07-01-2016 10:48 AM

If I remember correctly, didn't one of the kayaker's in Hawaii that was on that show awhile back have the record for marlin from a kayak? At the least it was in U.S. water.

HobieOneCanoebe 07-01-2016 11:21 AM

marlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhzsxX39VMU

Here's a cool one caught off Hawaii lets get one on the mainland!