Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   LJ Fishing tips (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=26317)

Cjopson 07-21-2015 10:24 AM

LJ Fishing tips

I understand that some guys don't like to give up too many secrets. But I just had some general questions about fishing in La Jolla.
1. I have been out a few times and I have spent most of my time near the kelp line, with no success. Is deeper water the way to go?
2. I see everyone refers to the northwest corner or the corner. I was wondering if anyone could clarify the area people are referring too.
3. Does anyone have a tip for making bait when its tough to come by?

I really appreciate any help given and if anyone is free in the middle of the week to make a trip I am always up for fishing with friendlies.

Iceman 07-21-2015 10:44 AM

if you can see the tip of Point Loma you are around the 1/2 (1/2 way to the NWC) if you see the Hyatt regency in Mission Bay, you are around the NWC. Try trolling your sabiki, casting on any puddling bait and dropping on every set of marks.

kayakfisherman 07-21-2015 10:55 AM

During the summer, when the water is warm, stick to the kelp
line. You need a fish finder. Although the kelp is not always seen, the kelp
line is the 100' contour. Also, fish by flylining a mack, either
spanish or greenback. Use a kelp cutting rig, meaning 50-65lb
braid with a 6-8', 30-40lb flourcarbon top shot.

Yellowtail can be caught as soon as you leave the MLP reserve
line, all the way to the NW corner, about 2 miles out.

This should get you going. Follow these directions, go out as often
as you can, and post up your stories and pictures!

Deamon 07-21-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjopson (Post 234569)
Does anyone have a tip for making bait when its tough to come by?

Hey CJ,

If you really want to zero in on consistent bait making, start with a good fish finder w GPS.
MANY guys sit on a nothing spot (with the other sheep) and wait for bait to show...this can be a painful, waste of time.
You find a bait school in open water, mark it on your gps and work it over and over until they've moved on
If you hook a bait, slow your reeling and try to hook two or three bait at one drop, they will climb on
Move around and meter. Greenies aren't always tight on the kelp. Cormorants, terns, etc...can show you the way. Meter the areas they're working
Tip your hooks with small pieces of squid or fish skin. Smelt skin stays on the hook
When it's REALLY slow...I use two sabiki rigs. One in the hand and one in the holder...fish them at different depths
When desperate, hug up tight and drop down next to a kelp...up current...Spanish are usually there
Moving tide helps. If you're on a slack tide, you sometimes just have to wait until current arrives

Hope this helps.

Jim

kayakfisherman 07-21-2015 11:06 AM

Geez, Jim, what a nice guy!!

Deamon 07-21-2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayakfisherman (Post 234574)
Geez, Jim, what a nice guy!!

Ha Yanni-man...I was going to ask if I could borrow your cameras and make a you tube production on bait making but I quickly realized...there is only one Yanni-man in this world! You are awesome. Jim