Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dana Pt to Santa Monica (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=34651)

LAOC 09-25-2019 09:11 AM

Dana Pt to Santa Monica

is It safe to call this stretch the forgotten coast? Well, not Dana pt, maybe not Newport...but all else. Where are the kayak anglers? :reel:

Iceman 09-25-2019 09:41 AM

Seems to have gotten much quieter on all fronts in the SoCal kayak fishing community.......sign of times! Post up your reports and you will connect with like minded kayak fishers on and off the web.

tak100 09-26-2019 07:28 AM

Cabrillo Beach off of San Pedro has a very nice kelp bed. Good for calico's.

I have been spending my time and money chasing tuna during the season.

Back to my kayak after the season is over.

PM if you want to meet up some time. Always happy for some company.

Tight lines.

LAOC 09-26-2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 303491)
Seems to have gotten much quieter on all fronts in the SoCal kayak fishing community.......sign of times! Post up your reports and you will connect with like minded kayak fishers on and off the web.

Some good advice here at the end. As soon as I lock down a sea worthy kayak, I’ll do just that.

LAOC 09-26-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tak100 (Post 303498)

Tight lines.

Thanks for the info.

Totally understand with you chasing Tuna. That’s hard to pass up.

I’ll have to get with you once you jump back on your kayak. I’ll shoot you a pm after the tuna season wraps. I’ll have a second kayak by then. I’m the same in regards to company. Thanks for the invite!

buckygoesfishing 09-26-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tak100 (Post 303498)

Tight lines.

Hey Tak,

I’ve been to Cabrillo but i’ve never gone past the break wall. I’ve always heard about the kelp bed and was wondering how far is it from launch? I would be down to meet up if you don’t mind the company!

Steven

Amish Ed 09-27-2019 06:55 PM

To fish the kelp beds you need to launch on the beach side. I've done it a handful of times, it's a pretty easy launch.

tak100 10-06-2019 12:34 AM

Yep, it is pretty much a must that you launch through the surf if you want to fish those kelp beds. It is about 1.5 miles to the opening and then another 1.5-2 miles back to get to the kelp from the harbor side. The distance isn't too bad but if there is any kind of breeze to fight it makes for a tough paddle.

From the surf side it is less than 1 mile to get past the point to the big kelp beds. There is plenty of kelp below the surface around the point too. Depends on the day which has a better bite.

I have seen posts that the harbor has a ton of fish too but the water is much cleaner outside.

The surf is usually small but I always check the forecast before I go.

Hope to see you out there. PM if you are planning a trip.

SoCalEDC 10-10-2019 10:41 AM

Echoing some others

If you want to get together shoot me a PM and we can get it going. I try and get out once or twice a month. from LA down to SD depening on the weather and other variables.

:cheers1:

LAOC 10-14-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalEDC (Post 303624)
If you want to get together shoot me a PM and we can get it going. I try and get out once or twice a month. from LA down to SD depening on the weather and other variables.

:cheers1:

Just checking in on this post after a bit, I’ll be in touch. :cheers1: