Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   My "GIANT" Angel Shark (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=14180)

KatFish 06-30-2012 07:14 PM

My "GIANT" Angel Shark

Well went out on my new Outback for the second time and this time the kid was on the back! We went to Shelter Island and about two hours into fishing I get what I think is a snag. So I start to peddle thinking I am going to lose my hook! I tell the kid to pull on the line so I can reel it up with out losing anything or breaking my pole that I got for Mother's Day. She says MOM your NOT stuck I think its a BIG BUTT! So she lets go of the line and she says play with it mom!! So I work him up to the top meanwhile the kid is snapping picks. Hes at the top! I see what I thought was a gutiarfish at the time cuz last summer the hubby caught one of each and I couldnt remember which one it was. So I get the fish grip and grab him not thinking about his THEETH or strength lol and grab him he thrashes around almost tipping us over so I let go but I still had him hooked and thats why you see him with the grips and no one holding them lmfao So I took out the hook while holding the grips and then I released the grips and he JUMPED UP and BIT my fish grips! I could hear his teeth hit the plastic and he swam away. WOW that was so exciting for me! :linesnap:

KatFish 06-30-2012 07:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
heres pics

KatFish 06-30-2012 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
TEETH!

Ddwineguy 06-30-2012 08:40 PM

Nice post Kat! How big is your child and how did the outback handle it? My 8 year old had been wanting to cone out with me. Haven't tried it yet.

KatFish 06-30-2012 08:48 PM

She's almost 12 and 120 pounds it wasn't bad at all we stayed out for 7 hours!

StinkyMatt 06-30-2012 09:03 PM

Cool post, that got the blood pumping. Nice to have your kid there with you to share the experience.:cheers1:

theluckypig 06-30-2012 09:04 PM

:cheers1:

Jimmyz123 06-30-2012 09:14 PM

Nice report, love the pictures. I love catching those, but I don't like messing with them on the release. I was out fishing with Old Rookie about a month ago and hooked one of those using a lizard fish for bait. At first I thought a big Halibut also and was about to net the thing, but then I saw the tail and new what I had. Beware of the teeth for sure, I'd rather have one of those guarding my house than a dog. I've seen those teeth do some serious damage. Many people will stick something in the mouth to keep them from taking a chomp out of them but I found it easier to just cut the line a safe distance from the teeth.

taggermike 07-01-2012 12:48 PM

I've been fishing SD Bay for 40 years and have never caught an angel shark. Congrats, I guess. ;-) For a kinda sluggish bottom dweller angels have a nasty temper and can shoot their jaws out like a bass. A buddy of mine who used to fish them commercially calls then "Snappy Toms" for a reason. Maybe just cut the line next time. Well done, Mike

Vikingj 07-01-2012 01:03 PM

Nice post and great pictures. Maybe a big 'but next time?

oneyedeer 07-01-2012 01:17 PM

nice post! first time i seen one of those girl your BRAVE!

T-Rex 07-01-2012 02:35 PM

Cool post. Nice work handling the angel shark. They've got a nasty disposition when hooked and lots of needle like teeth.

lamb 07-01-2012 07:49 PM

Nice!

One of these days, a big ol' halibut will sign in. :cheers1:

steveooo 07-01-2012 09:15 PM

Looks fun :luxhello: Never caught one of those, but I've heard they typically come up with a bad attitude. Lamb is right, won't be long until the big hali comes yakside, and then the real fun begins. I've heard of a few commercial fishermen that swear that the big barn door hali's are often found near Angel sharks. Don't know if its true of not, but it might be worth a shot :bigear:

mtnbykr2 07-02-2012 09:30 AM

you keep going girl...nice pics excellent report...

SquidJig 07-02-2012 06:24 PM

Thanks for the fun story. And props to your little photographer. Nice shots.

KatFish 07-04-2012 12:47 PM

Thanks guys! Let's see what I catch this weekend lol

Photoxic 07-04-2012 08:50 PM

Nice job to you both. I've never seen that fish before until today.

rhyak 07-07-2012 03:05 PM

Nice shark.

Hookalrg1 07-13-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddwineguy (Post 123491)
Nice post Kat! How big is your child and how did the outback handle it? My 8 year old had been wanting to cone out with me. Haven't tried it yet.

I have the same model and take my 6 yr old out all the time in the harbor and bay. He rides in the back and likes to net the fish. It's a great and stable yak with plenty of room in the back.