Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   LTB Lowrence HDS 5 2Gen (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=27355)

TXMJG 10-15-2015 12:22 PM

LTB Lowrence HDS 5 2Gen

Looking to buy an HDS 5 2gen. Let me know what you have. Thanks

Deamon 10-15-2015 01:36 PM

Hey Manny

Good luck finding one that works well for you. If I can help offer some perspective with a couple of comments:

If the dollar amount is not much different, try to buy new from West Marine and purchase their extended warranty.

With this warranty, it puts that unit fully protected for (4) years.

Even though these units are "water proof/resistant" I have turned my unit in 3 or 4 times for service at no charge.

Having a used unit die with no warranty pretty much kills that spent amount...

P.S...secure your unit if surf launching and landing. This will probably prolong its life.

Jim

Cadillyak 10-15-2015 07:39 PM

^ This guy doesn't even have an HDS5. :eek:

TXMJG 10-15-2015 07:50 PM

Thanks for the advice Deamon.

Eric D Man 10-16-2015 09:29 AM

What about the Transducer?

Deamon 10-16-2015 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadillyak (Post 244799)
^ This guy doesn't even have an HDS5. :eek:

Hahahaha!!! Coming from a MoFo who doesn't even yak anymore...:the_finger:

HDS...7 baby...the WSB look bigger on a 7" screen... :eek:

Jim

Deamon 10-16-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric D Man (Post 244833)
What about the Transducer?

Old school method that came from Drake that I heard came from...Darkhorse...what happened to Josh anyways

The low spot in a PA is just at the front hatch. I place my transducer inside the hull, drop in a couple of handfuls of water...transducer mounted and works like a charm...Jim

Cadillyak 10-16-2015 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deamon (Post 244838)
Hahahaha!!! Coming from a MoFo who doesn't even yak anymore...:the_finger:

HDS...7 baby...the WSB look bigger on a 7" screen... :eek:

Jim

What's a "yak?"

Oxbeast1210 10-16-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deamon (Post 244839)
Old school method that came from Drake that I heard came from...Darkhorse...what happened to Josh anyways

The low spot in a PA is just at the front hatch. I place my transducer inside the hull, drop in a couple of handfuls of water...transducer mounted and works like a charm...Jim

Is there anyway you could take a picture of that please how u hold the transducer in place?

Deamon 10-18-2015 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxbeast1210 (Post 244885)
Is there anyway you could take a picture of that please how u hold the transducer in place?

Hey Ox,

Super high tech stuff so stay with me...when I bought this PA, it had the battery holder in place. I wedge my flip flop to hold the transducer down but that's not even necessary. It sits up right. All excess cable is zip tied and out of the way. I drop in a couple of handfuls of water to hydrate the space between hull and transducer. It works as well as any goop or putty and NEVER fails. Hope this helps. Jim

Oxbeast1210 10-18-2015 07:17 PM

Very nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Eric D Man 10-19-2015 07:29 AM

thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deamon (Post 245025)
Hey Ox,

Super high tech stuff so stay with me...when I bought this PA, it had the battery holder in place. I wedge my flip flop to hold the transducer down but that's not even necessary. It sits up right. All excess cable is zip tied and out of the way. I drop in a couple of handfuls of water to hydrate the space between hull and transducer. It works as well as any goop or putty and NEVER fails. Hope this helps. Jim

Thanks for the info... I'll give it a try.

maquinapescado 10-19-2015 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deamon (Post 244839)

Question: Why don't you mount it in the transducer pod aka Lowrance ready location?

YakDout 10-19-2015 05:12 PM

LTB Lowrence HDS 5 2Gen

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian (Post 245080)
Question: Why don't you mount it in the transducer pod aka Lowrance ready location?

That is a feature hobie came up with just a few years ago. So it is probably a pre 2013 PA.

jorluivil 10-19-2015 07:08 PM

Quote:

Jim, as much as I'd like to think this is some sort of joke I have a feeling that this is really how you mount your transducer. Those wiggly lines on your aren't fish, they're air bubbles.

jruiz 10-20-2015 05:32 AM

Quote:

Hey Ox,

Mods,

Please move and sticky this post to the "share your innovations" thread.:the_finger:

Deamon 10-20-2015 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 245094)
Jim, as much as I'd like to think this is some sort of joke I have a feeling that this is really how you mount your transducer. Those wiggly lines on your aren't fish, there's air bubbles.

JORGEE...I turn my gain up...I turn my gain down...I count the "bubbles" on the screen...I change colors on my screen...I play with myself out there in the dark...but when the fish cruise through on my FF, I take a picture, with or without the bubbles...and when the fishies bite, I don't look at the screen. Bottom left of the screen, three fishies cruising through. Jim