Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Another no fish report (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31620)

Harry Hill 07-29-2017 04:48 PM

Another no fish report

Another no fish report. Got a late start again but was on the water by about 9. Trolled an underspin with a white fluke and then a gulp shrimp for no love. Bounced a squid strip along the boat channel and trolled plug. Time was coming and and the drifts were fast but I couldn't buy a bite. Finally when into the harbor and got some strikes on the white fluke casting around the docks and boats but nothing stuck. Chula Vista isn't loving me too much the last couple of weeks. Off the water about 1 and got interviewed by F&G about our results. The game warden said we deserve a refund on our fishing licenses. He also suggested we hit LJ for better results. I saw lots of something on the fishfinder, I think balls of crab. At least the FF is working correctly for a change. There were two navy osprey doing maneuvers for about an hour. that was cool to watch. I'm doing something wrong and I don't know what it is but what ever it is I have to change it. Great day to be on the water though, water temp was 75 and lots of loose grass floating around.

MITCHELL 07-29-2017 04:57 PM

Should of went to tidelands

3 Attachment(s)
Bass were bitting good,for heroes on the water....

MITCHELL 07-29-2017 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)

TJones 07-29-2017 05:02 PM

Salt in wounds

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITCHELL (Post 283567)
Bass were bitting good,for heroes on the water....

:D.
You're not doing something wrong, you are doing more than most by getting off couch. Good fish report. I'd rather be fishing. Duke is catching all the fish.

MITCHELL 07-29-2017 05:09 PM

Hookup....

1 Attachment(s)

Harry Hill 07-29-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITCHELL (Post 283570)

I was going to go to Tidelands, I could have helped. It completely slipped my mind that a Heros on the Water event was happening.

Amish Ed 07-29-2017 07:33 PM

Well at least you tried, and 2 weeks in a row no less. Did you try any other colors besides white? Vary the size at all? Is there lots of healthy eel grass on the bottom?

Harry Hill 07-30-2017 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amish Ed (Post 283586)
Well at least you tried, and 2 weeks in a row no less. Did you try any other colors besides white? Vary the size at all? Is there lots of healthy eel grass on the bottom?

I did Ed. I'm not sure what is going on. I keep a big plug on one rod in case I see the birds feeding on the surface to cast at the bait ball. I never saw the birds feeding on bait balls yesterday either. I think I will try terminal island next week and see if maybe I'm just having a dry run at Chula Vista.

MITCHELL 07-30-2017 07:44 AM

Maybe your moving your jig to fast

Try dropping your leadhead straight down to bottom wined up a couple of turns off the bottom and put rod in pole holder and let current drift you plus slow padding.
That way the fish doesn't sense your mojo...thats what I do....plus casting

Harry Hill 07-30-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITCHELL (Post 283604)
Try dropping your leadhead straight down to bottom wined up a couple of turns off the bottom and put rod in pole holder and let current drift you plus slow padding.
That way the fish doesn't sense your mojo...thats what I do....plus casting

Next week I'm trying Terminal Island to see if a change of location makes a difference.

I didn't want to go there because I worry about my wife's boat sinking but this is fishing man and if her boat sinks then I can always fall back on widower sympathy to get a new wife.

Orca Winfrey 07-30-2017 07:33 PM

At least you're getting out there Harry. I've been too busy to fish for the past month.

Harry Hill 07-30-2017 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey (Post 283619)
At least you're getting out there Harry. I've been too busy to fish for the past month.

I had a long spell away from the salt. In the early spring when the stripers come ,into shore to feed we hit that two or three times a week and load up on stripers. Fun to catch and less than an hour from home. We go up and fish the evening bite and still get home early enough for me to get up and go to work the next morning. San Diego is a two hour drive for me so I can't fish it as often. Newport is almost as long on the road because of the 91 freeway but it's about 60 miles closer. I will keep banging away, as I've said before, I love fishing, even when I'm not catching. Terminal Island this Thursday I think. Then I have to try LJ, even though the surf scares me in this kayak I'm fishing from.

Orca Winfrey 07-30-2017 10:41 PM

That's good. The stripers should be getting active. Are you shore pounding or yakking?

Harry Hill 08-02-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey (Post 283627)
That's good. The stripers should be getting active. Are you shore pounding or yakking?

Shore pounding, if I could be on the water at sun up I would fish from the yak but as soon as the sun hits the water the stripers go deep.