Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   hobie live well help (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=14413)

TJones 07-16-2012 03:06 PM

hobie live well help

one of batterys went dead for hobie live well. picked one up at frys for about 10 bucks less. 7 amp instead of 8 amp. i cut the connector off old battery and put it on new battery. when i charged it up with the standard hobie charger it i charged up very fast. to fast. why is this ? will this battery have a decent output time? the battery was sitting on metal shelf at frys which would decharge the battery given enough time? correct? which would mean the battery would be, or should be completly dead. in that situation the battery should take more the 5 hours to juice up . but it took only 3 or less. again it was a 6 volt 7amp . as oposed to 6 volt 8 amp. one amp should not make much differece, correct? is this gonna work for a reasonable amount of time. my other option is get heavy duty battery from hobie. i saw one on the kevins yak. does anyone know where to get one? it would come with a new live well cover to accomadate extra width. any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

467echo 07-16-2012 03:37 PM

I was told the Hobie batteries come charged, but when I bought it a few weeks ago it took a couple of hours to juice it up. The newer/bigger battery fits under the stock cover. Hope this helps

TJones 07-16-2012 04:27 PM

any info helps

thanks. i was under the general impression that most batterys are complety dead when new? i know i am not the first person to try this. the question is , will it work with reasonble success ? the amp difference should not make a terrible amount of difference? right? i still have one original hobie battery that i will use, and the modified battery as backup. i am not sure why i am even worried about it anymore , i can not even outlast the one battery on the water , these last few outtings. :svengo:. it is nice to have a battery that you do not have to fudge with on the water should you decide to have an extended stay on the water. thanks again.

TJones 07-16-2012 04:29 PM

i did locate

a heavy duty battery online. 10 amp 6 vlt. that should last a good 8 - 10 . sold with out cover. price was over 40 $ you think the original cover will saffice?

mtnbykr2 07-16-2012 04:41 PM

I am about to get my third battery for my livewell, I got another 7amphr this
last one and I would like to bump it up to 8 or 10 amp hr I know the 10 is larger
I borrowed one on the Islander trip, but the cover does't fit, so I was thinking of
trying to fit a different box or modify the cover...anyway you need to check the stock charger and see if it is getting the 8-10 amp hr battery charged to max, as in checking the output of the charger, so i would be interested in what you find out as well...

StinkyMatt 07-16-2012 05:55 PM

6volt charger will charge it regardless of it it's 6amp hrs or 10amp hrs. Amp hrs is the "amount" of juice you have.

The gray and blue batteries fit, but the cover does not sit down perfectly like the old battery.

467echo 07-16-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 (Post 125489)
I know the 10 is larger
I borrowed one on the Islander trip, but the cover does't fit, so I was thinking of
trying to fit a different box or modify the cover...

The 10 I bought from OEX Oceanside fits perfectly in my stock Hobie livewell.:confused:

gupppy 07-17-2012 06:43 AM

If you have a decent volt meter you can test it. Or run your livewell with the new battery for a few hours and then charge it again.

mtnbykr2 07-17-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 467echo (Post 125511)
The 10 I bought from OEX Oceanside fits perfectly in my stock Hobie livewell.:confused:

thanks for the info, I will go that way....

deepdvr 07-17-2012 07:28 AM

FYI. There is a 6V 12 AMP that comes in the same size casing as the 6V 10AMP.

mtnbykr2 07-17-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepdvr (Post 125574)
FYI. There is a 6V 12 AMP that comes in the same size casing as the 6V 10AMP.

Even better...6v 12amphr...thanks:D

TJones 07-17-2012 03:59 PM

went to shop today

had dealer call hobie. looks like they only carry one battery and one cover now . probably 10 amp and extra wide cover. is the molding on the battery recepticle of tank same on new ones? and the only difference cover? 10 or 12 should be more than enough for those long nites of sea bass fishing . :wsb:

mtnbykr2 07-17-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 125666)
had dealer call hobie. looks like they only carry one battery and one cover now . probably 10 amp and extra wide cover. is the molding on the battery recepticle of tank same on new ones? and the only difference cover? 10 or 12 should be more than enough for those long nites of sea bass fishing . :wsb:

"Mcgyver" that's what I'm takin' bout...good info here right when I needed it thanks