Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Places to park at DPH? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=27022)

King Saba 09-11-2015 09:46 AM

Places to park at DPH?

I'll be heading down to Dana tomorrow with my buddy to try my hand a Bonita and kelp critters. Is there any place that we can park at that won't get us a ticket if we stay for longer than 4 hours? I'm seeing on Gmaps that the launch ramp lot is only for sport fishing customers and guys with boat trailers. Thanks I hope to see some of you guys tomorrow. I'm in a stealth 12 Sand color.

LBKayakDude 09-11-2015 09:54 AM

Pay the $10 fee, launch your yaks and park in car parking spots, not truck and boat trailer spots. They're right by the entrance. I think you can park up to 24 hrs. I've been there up to 12 hrs with no problems. I know more than 4 is ok 👍

DanaPT 09-11-2015 10:50 AM

a few ideas. . .

1) Baby beach. I don't recall a 4 hour minimum. get there early and parking even on a Saturday won't be an issue. if it is there is the loading and unloading area you can stop.

2 ) boat Launch. Pay the $10 and your good all day. I park in the small parking spots created by trailers and trucks pulling across two spots.

3 )Doho metered parking: pay the meter $1 per hour for the number of hours. I think you can park all day (well more than 4 hours). wheel your kayak across the sand to the water. follow the jetty out to the sea.

4) An out of the box place to park: on the island (across the bridge). You and your buddies carry your kayak over the rocks and out to sea you go. No meter$$. Free parking.

5) I've read a post about parking in the harbor lot near the launch ramp and wheeling the kayak to the launch ramp for free. This is monitored, but free, 4 hr parking. Seems this year they've cracked down and issue $40 tickets if you over stay your welcome.

6) Beach Rd & PCH. If you ever want to fish south capo beach and are okay with a shore break surf launch (not always and can be tricky with a swell). It's $1 per hour metered parking. Gate opens at 6 am closes at 10 pm I believe.

HobieScot 09-11-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBKayakDude (Post 241659)
Pay the $10 fee, launch your yaks and park in car parking spots, not truck and boat trailer spots. They're right by the entrance. I think you can park up to 24 hrs. I've been there up to 12 hrs with no problems. I know more than 4 is ok 👍

X2

That's what I've done the couple times I've been down there this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mwhitcraft 09-11-2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBKayakDude (Post 241659)

X3

Amish Ed 09-11-2015 01:21 PM

I personally pay the $10 to launch at the ramp. I usually have limited time and saving 20min each way paddling from Baby Beach is a good thing. Leaves me more time to fish.

sanomick 09-11-2015 04:44 PM

Tall Ships festival this weekend

Parking at Baby beach will be really bad this weekend with the Tall Ships Festival. And there are lots of boaters trying to get in the boat launch area, so get there early.

King Saba 09-11-2015 04:56 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it.

jorluivil 09-11-2015 05:08 PM

I don't know if its changed but you must have exact change to get into the ramp

TINCANYAK 09-11-2015 05:27 PM

Baby Beach...keep going past sport fishing but before tall ship parking at end. Get there before sunrise and your all-day parking is FREEEEEE!. Just a little more paddling/peddling. Bunch if nice family kids on the return......show em your fish!

Amish Ed 09-11-2015 05:37 PM

Yes, you do need exact change for the ramp.

DanaPT 09-11-2015 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 241718)
I don't know if its changed but you must have exact change to get into the ramp

If you intercom the office they will lift the gate and make change. They get there early 5 am ish. Just in ccase one of your 5s won't go.