Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   First trip out to La Jolla Saturday 9/14 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=34623)

Egon 09-12-2019 09:24 PM

First trip out to La Jolla Saturday 9/14

First of all it’s my first time fishing La Jolla area. I will be going alone so if anyone wants to join you are more than welcomed to just send me message. To anyone that’s fished there if you have any helpful advice would be appreciated. How’s the parking work down there ? Do I have to drop my stuff off at the launch then go park or is parking close enough to where I can pull my kayak on wheels down to the launch? Anything helps thank you

Bruntoj 09-12-2019 09:58 PM

I prefer to street park first and roll down to the launch, but plenty of people drive into the launch, drop off, then park ( in the lot I assume)

You won’t be alone on a Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Egon 09-13-2019 10:40 PM

Thank you bruntoj

daperrin 09-16-2019 10:11 AM

Is there an actual parking lot for kayak-ers, beach go-ers, etc or just street parking. If there is a lot, does it cost and how far from the launch/beach is it?

Thanks.

FISH11 09-16-2019 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The boat/kayak launch area is at the end of Avenida de la Playa, you turn into it from La Jolla Shores Dr. The parking lot is by Kellogg Park like 2 block to the north and Camino del Oro connects the two. If there is street parking available in the near by street the walk back to and from the car can be shorter. Be careful as to the day since there are signs explaining the Street Sweeping schedule, they will ticket you if you violate it. You can drive onto the beach to unload and load but 4X4 is recommended, so you don't get stuck is the soft sand and it is 5MPH on the beach. Good Luck

daperrin 09-17-2019 09:45 PM

Thanks for the picture. Can you just launch in front of the parking lot? Why walk all the way down the street?

DanaPT 09-18-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daperrin (Post 303404)
Thanks for the picture. Can you just launch in front of the parking lot? Why walk all the way down the street?

:toetap05:

In the water already David.

FISH11 09-18-2019 09:08 AM

No, the boat launch area is a designated area, also the surf is smaller in that area which is why it was picked as the launch by the city long, long ago. The area by the parking lot is strictly swimming, a little north of that is surfing. The life guard would stop you or ticket you if you did it during times when there are a lot of people there. If you launch at first light there would be few if anyone there but again the surf is higher. I you want to use that parking lot you can wheel the kayak down to the launch area using the boardwalk and back again after landing, it a little over 1000' distance. On Avenida de la Playa if you don't want to drive onto the sand the is some 15 minute curve parking for unloading/loading, then you would drive to a parking area. The parking lot can be a pain when coming back and trying to load your stuff in a regular space with other cars along side by side.

daperrin 09-19-2019 07:38 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be ready to launch at 6:30 Sat and Sun. If I can meet up with anyone who might be going out, that would be great. :kayak-surfer: