Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Heroes on the Water/Mission Bay video (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=34101)

SoCalCuda 05-01-2019 12:06 AM

Heroes on the Water/Mission Bay video

Recently participated in the annual Heroes On the Water Mission Bay Classic kayak fishing challenge. I broke my personal best spotty with three fish consecutively. The biggest at 15.5” and 2.4 lbs. these fish have to be some of the funnest fish to catch.

What do you guys think of the umbrella rig? I have used it in two tournaments now and have slayed with it. It is quickly becoming my go to lure of choice.

Thanks goes out to HOW, I’m a veteran and appreciate what you guys do.

Thanks also goes out to Paige (sp) with Yak Ninjas, he gave me some solid advice.

See you next year......

https://youtu.be/NgUI0VvUvq0

SoCalEDC 05-01-2019 06:30 AM

Cool video. Is there a limit on how many hooks one can use on an umbrella rig?

Mahigeer 05-01-2019 07:07 AM

Can't see the HOW part.

FISH11 05-01-2019 07:50 AM

The Mission Bay Kayak Classic is a super fun event for a great cause. The weather and the fish both cooperated and the new location is great. I think it is more centrally located for most fisherman's choice of fishing spots. Can't wait for next years. Thanks for sharing the video.

Reiner 05-01-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalEDC (Post 300875)

I found this question and answer posted online.

Can full Alabama rigs be used in ocean waters?
Question: Can full Alabama rigs be legally fished in ocean waters? (Zack P., Santa Barbara)

Answer: Alabama rigs have been all the rage, as well as very controversial, in the bass fishing circuits this year. While in freshwater lakes and Delta waters the Alabama rig must be modified (only three hooks total allowed rather than the standard five), in ocean waters no modifications are required. However, if fishing for salmon or rockfish or if salmon or rockfish are in possession, the angler would be limited to only two hooks.

this was posted on wonews website in 2012

SoCalCuda 05-05-2019 01:53 PM

A-rig

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reiner (Post 300878)

Question: Can full Alabama rigs be legally fished in ocean waters? (Zack P., Santa Barbara)

Answer: Alabama rigs have been all the rage, as well as very controversial, in the bass fishing circuits this year. While in freshwater lakes and Delta waters the Alabama rig must be modified (only three hooks total allowed rather than the standard five), in ocean waters no modifications are required. However, if fishing for salmon or rockfish or if salmon or rockfish are in possession, the angler would be limited to only two hooks.

If I remember reading the regs right I would be limited to three lures with barbed hooks on the fresh water a-rig as well. Still an awesome lure! Thanks for the post.

SoCalCuda 05-05-2019 01:56 PM

Hooks

Quote:

I don’t remember how many are max, but let me tell you that 5 are enough! I lost three of them at about 15$ a piece. :doh:

fourtogo 05-06-2019 12:18 AM

A-Rig

Quote:

Yes 3ea only , should be using heavy braid , with all that iron in water . Fish aren’t caring to much about size of your line . You can use teezer swim baits held on with worm screws .

SoCalEDC 05-06-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reiner (Post 300878)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCuda (Post 300923)
If I remember reading the regs right I would be limited to three lures with barbed hooks on the fresh water a-rig as well. Still an awesome lure! Thanks for the post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCuda (Post 300924)
I don’t remember how many are max, but let me tell you that 5 are enough! I lost three of them at about 15$ a piece. :doh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourtogo (Post 300930)
Yes 3ea only , should be using heavy braid , with all that iron in water . Fish aren’t caring to much about size of your line . You can use teezer swim baits held on with worm screws .

hmm, seeing some conflicting info here. from what i gather above, unlimited in saltwater so long as you are not targetting salmon or rockfish, and so long as you dont have salmon or rockfish in your possession, in which case it would be 2 hooked lures total.

@fortogo do you have a source on that?

FoodGeekFish 05-06-2019 03:02 PM

Freshwater: https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...cumentID=55060'

Saltwater: 28.65. General.
Except as provided in this article, fin fish may be taken only on hook-and-line or by hand. Any number of hooks and lines may be used in all ocean waters and bays except:

(a) San Francisco Bay, as described in Section 27.00, where only one line with not more than three hooks may be used.

(b) On public piers, no person shall use more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs.

(c) When rockfish (genus Sebastes), lingcod (Ophiodon elongatus), cabezon (Scorpaenichthys marmoratus), or kelp or rock greenlings (Hexagrammos decagrammus and Hexagrammos lagocephalus) are aboard or in possession, where only one line with not more than two hooks may be used pursuant to Sections 28.55, 28.27, 28.28 or 28.29, respectively.

(d) No gaff hook shall be used to take or assist in landing any finfish shorter than the minimum size limit. For the purpose of this section a gaff hook is any hook with or without a handle used to assist in landing fish or to take fish in such a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily in its mouth. No person shall take finfish from any boat or other floating device in ocean waters without having a landing net in possession or available for immediate use to assist in landing undersize fish of species having minimum size limits; the opening of any such landing net shall be not less than eighteen inches in diameter.

(e) North of Point Conception (34°27’00” N. lat.), where only one rod and line may be used by each angler fishing for salmon, or fishing from any boat or floating device with salmon on board.

(f) Mousetrap gear prohibited: It is unlawful to use, assist in using, or to possess aboard any vessel, hook-and-line gear commonly termed “mouse traps” constructed of a hook(s) or lure(s), attached to one end of a line that is attached to a float, or floats at the other end, and that when fished, is not attached directly to a person or vessel. Possession of such gear aboard a vessel shall be prima facie evidence that the gear is being used in violation of this regulation.

(g) North of Point Conception to Horse Mountain, Section 27.80(a)(3) applies to each angler fishing for salmon or fishing from any boat or floating device with salmon on board.

SoCalCuda 05-12-2019 07:33 PM

Regs

#Socaledc and #foodgeekfish are right. #Fourtogo I believe 3 hooks are limit in fresh water/ fresh water regs.

bertha 05-18-2019 10:31 AM

Great video, thanks for sharinghttp://juragan.club/assets/7/o.png