Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Leopard Sharks At The Shores (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=3730)

bloodykayak 08-05-2008 11:59 AM

Leopard Sharks At The Shores

I have not been able to make it out to the shores lately, have the Leopard sharks come into the shores yet?

madscientist 08-05-2008 12:13 PM

Yes

speedydk 08-05-2008 02:52 PM

Where is the shores? And what do you use when fishing for leopards? Sounds like fun! I've caught some in the surf before but would love to try it in my yak!

madscientist 08-05-2008 03:33 PM

Leopards are always around. They are thick at the launch, but that is in the reserve so you can't fish there. Leopards sharks are usually considered a big pain the ass, not a targeted species.

gotz togo fishin 08-05-2008 03:52 PM

Leopard sharks taste like BIG STINKY SEROTE! :puke:

bajadog 08-05-2008 04:13 PM

They taste like fishy dirt...don't ask!:rolleyes:

Corey 08-05-2008 04:51 PM

They are much more popular & enjoyable to snorkel with than to fish for.

bloodykayak 08-06-2008 02:56 PM

Thanks For The Info

Thanks, Can Finally Get Back In The Water After Three Months Of Being Land Bound

moondoggy 08-06-2008 05:30 PM

If I put a electirc trolling motor on my YAK do I have to regester it like a boat . can some one tell me . what the law says about this . thanks guys MOONDOGGY _______OUT

Billy V 08-06-2008 06:13 PM

A couple past under me in 8' of water as I was landing the yak last week.

I didn't expect to see them in so close, good fun for snorkeling.

TheSherThang 08-06-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moondoggy (Post 27639)
If I put a electirc trolling motor on my YAK do I have to regester it like a boat . can some one tell me . what the law says about this . thanks guys MOONDOGGY _______OUT

Anything motorized must be registered with the state of California.

What Vessels Must be Registered?

Generally, every sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length and every motor-driven vessel (regardless of length) that is not documented by the U.S. Coast Guard which is used or on the waters of this state are subject to registration by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The vessel must be located in California.
Vessels previously registered in other states must be registered in California within 120 days of being brought into the state, if it will be used upon California waterways the majority of the time.
The term vessel applies to every description of water-craft used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water, except the following:
  • A seaplane on the water.
  • A watercraft specifically designed to operate on a permanently fixed course and guided by a mechanical device that restricts the watercraft's movement to the fixed course.
  • A floating structure that is designed and built to be used as a stationary waterborne residential dwelling, which, (a) does not have and is not designed to have a mode of power of its own, (b) is dependent for utilities upon a continuous utility linkage to a source originating on shore, and (c) has a permanent, continuous hookup to a shoreside sewage system.
The following vessels do not have to be registered in California:
  • Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles.
  • Nonmotorized sailboats that are eight feet or less in length.
  • Nonmotorized surfboards propelled by a sail and with a mast that the operator must hold upright.
  • A ship’s lifeboat (a dinghy is not a lifeboat).
  • Vessels currently and lawfully numbered (registered) by another state that are principally used outside California.
  • Vessels brought into California for racing purposes only (exempted only during races and tune-ups).

speedydk 08-07-2008 03:25 PM

Does the sail part also apply to hobies with the sail kit?