Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Dana Pt. (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=16801)

sanjuancapokayak 01-30-2013 01:01 PM

Dana Pt.

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 8307

Had a fun day on the water today. Caught 4 bass three keepers. A 14.5 sandbass, a 15 sandbass and a PB 16" (2lbs on the nose) Calico Bass.

Was wide open off the pt. in the Morning. The tide was moving out quickly. I also had a few get caught up in kelp and/or farmed them. (still learning).

Used my new 6500 abu garcia. Had a blast this morning. bite shut down with the tide. Beautiful sunshine.

Also my first time out in my Trident 15 Prowler.

Wayne_R 01-30-2013 01:12 PM

Sweet day on the h2o! Nice goin

wade 01-30-2013 01:32 PM

HA!
Nice report & retriever!
Hes looking pretty intently at that there bass!!:drool5:

StinkyMatt 01-30-2013 03:36 PM

Great first trip.

Looks like you better buy a lock for your ice chest, that dog Looks like he is about to rob you.:D

Biggameaddict 01-30-2013 03:58 PM

Congrats on the pb looks like the new yak has some mojo :reel:

sanjuancapokayak 01-30-2013 04:10 PM

yeah, didn't notice that before...my dog does look like shes up to no good there. Thinking of taking her with me next trip since I have a more stable ride. She can last the 3-4 hr. I fish in the morning. I'll just leave the bait tank at home and chuck plastic. Love the way I can wing that chovie out there far with my abu reel. They were hungry today! Should have probably caught double what I did today. Rookie mistakes... maybe shoulda thrown plastics. Forgot my damb pliers. Need to be in the H20 when the getting is instant ca-blamb!!! Was happy the new yak has good what you guys call it...juju??? Was fun. Been out about a dozen times in the homemade yak...but, this day was the most fun.

Today, I made a classic error. I decide I'm gonna try a white weedless sledhead right. Saw a guy post a pic the other day with a bass hanging a white plastic out it's mouth. So, I grab this thing ... I start puting squid smellyjelly all over it. And I chuck it overboard without TYING it to my line. I'm like damb, that was a waste of tackle. Fishing makes you feel special ed sometimes. And, kinda right now...I'm half baked and wobbly at work (night custodian) but - when else are we gonna have time right? That's why God invented coffee?

DanaPT 01-30-2013 07:54 PM

any day catching fish is a good day.

I'm happy for you and excited for my next trip. I'm kind of sorry I missed today, but will try on friday.

Amish Ed 01-31-2013 12:19 AM

Glad you had such a good day in your new yak. Definitely watch out for that dog.

min-va 01-31-2013 08:42 AM

That look on the face, really up to no good :D

Nice catch!

sharjak 01-31-2013 01:29 PM

Did you launch at the beach or ramps. Still trying to figure out how to drop my yak in at the ramps solo...

DanaPT 01-31-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharjak (Post 146168)
Did you launch at the beach or ramps. Still trying to figure out how to drop my yak in at the ramps solo...

park.
Unload.
use the wheels to roll your yak to the ramp/water

OR

back in unload your yak and drag your yak in the water. BUT that coarse and patterned cement will grind the bottom your yak.

sanjuancapokayak 02-01-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharjak (Post 146168)

I always launch at baby beach. Couple of ?'s too, for you experienced DP'ers. 1) is it free to launch a kayak at the ramp? Is the parking over there free?
2) When some of you launch over by DP Jet & Ski...is that always open? Do they charge for parking??? That seems like a way better spot to launch from, but if it cost $ ...I'm Out.

Thanks for answer in advance. Anybody up for Wed. outta DP? I wanna fish the pipe for the first time.

no fish finder rigged yet on new yak

Whit-

Amish Ed 02-01-2013 09:43 PM

$10 to launch at the ramp. Not sure about DP Jet Ski.

mrJB 02-02-2013 05:45 AM

There is no public dock or parking lot at DPJS but purchasing a Hobie at DPJS comes with launching/parking priviledges.

Montesdad 02-02-2013 06:08 AM

It would be best to check with Tim Boyer, owner of Dana Point Jet Ski before parking and/or launching at his facility.
As JB stated, there is no public dock or parking there.

The boat yard next door has had it's struggles with people coming thru their gate and onto their side, launching from their docks, not DPJS's.
Please communicate with Tim before attempting to use the facilities there - he is excellent to work with but does have a business to run with a working boat yard next door neighbor that he needs to coordinate with.

Tim sells and supports Hobies.

'Montesdad'
Dana Point Kayak Fishing Mafia

Vikingj 02-02-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjuancapokayak (Post 146298)
I always launch at baby beach. Couple of ?'s too, for you experienced DP'ers. 1) is it free to launch a kayak at the ramp? Is the parking over there free?
2) When some of you launch over by DP Jet & Ski...is that always open? Do they charge for parking??? That seems like a way better spot to launch from, but if it cost $ ...I'm Out.

Thanks for answer in advance. Anybody up for Wed. outta DP? I wanna fish the pipe for the first time.

no fish finder rigged yet on new yak

Whit-

Baby Beach = free park & launch; DP Launch ramp = $10 park & launch; DP Jetski = parking or dock launch for customers only except for tournaments & special events; Doheny Beach is another good option = hourly parking fee.

Fished DP kelpline on Fri. Water temp. 57*F and beautiful clear day with abundance of sealife. Numerous baitfish, dozen playful sealions, Rizzo & Common dolphins, and 3 Gray Whales cruising the kelp line and coming within 20-30 ft of our yaks! 5 fishing yaks made it more fun but unfortunately not a single bite all day long.
Wayne

madncrzydm 02-02-2013 04:36 PM

Im down to go out on wed what time were you going to head out

sanjuancapokayak 02-03-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madncrzydm (Post 146364)
Im down to go out on wed what time were you going to head out

I'll be out at Baby Beach at 6am Wed. In an Orange trident

madncrzydm 02-03-2013 05:03 PM

ok cool ive only launched from the ramp but ill find it. I hope i can make it i may have a dr appointment on wed

sanjuancapokayak 02-04-2013 08:20 AM

Cool

Hope to see you out there Wed.