Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Squiddily Yellows (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29808)

chris138 08-16-2016 08:01 AM

Squiddily Yellows

Hey Gang,

Wanted to share some of the footage from the recent flurry of yellowtail we had in La Jolla. As people found out pretty quick, there was a squid nest up inside the hump in about 70-90' of water. Fish were on the bottom which meant dropperloops and carolina rigs were the go to setups. When you get into these bites, it might seem like the skiffs are practically anchored on top of each other. There is very little room on the sea floor between the anchorlines and people's spread. You don't want to be that guy who causes a huge fustercluck when the fish swim through. Here's a couple tips to help you increase your success ratio on the bed.

Fish heavy line. When the yellows roll through 30 fish deep, they are not line shy. I have been fishing straight 50# mono. That way when you get bit, you can button the drag down to full and horse the fish as hard as you can. You have to stay right on top of the fish to keep it out of anchorlines and dropper spreads. Also fishing straight mono makes it easy to retie if your fish goes into the rocks, or gets all twisted up.

Don't be the guy who is flylining a greenback through the middle of the squid bite. Its fine to fish the flyline, but stay outside the fleet or around the perimeter. First off, the fish are biting on the bottom so your mack will be ignored. Second, if you do get bit, your fish is going to dive straight to the bottom in whichever way it wants. This will very likely result in a total disaster with nearby anchors.

Give the skiffs enough space. Carefully observe the drift line you are taking before you go through a crowded bed. Probably that skiff has been anchored in that same spot all night, so you sliding in too close at greylight will never be met with "aloha". Give enough room and don't drift right through their spread, and you will be tolerated. You might even get a piece of bait or two if you are cool to them.

Cant wait to see that big bluefin bring it on guys!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hy6shNhwGpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iceman 08-16-2016 08:14 AM

Now that is what I call "Ropin' Em" :luxhello:

Feel all the power and every tail beat.

onetriphudson 08-16-2016 08:21 AM

Awesome Chris. You are a fish catching machine. :notworthy:

jorluivil 08-16-2016 08:39 AM

Buena Vista Social Club.......I love that song and that album

P.s.

Nice fish

YakHanded 08-16-2016 08:43 AM

That is some good catching :cheers1:

the dude 08-16-2016 08:51 AM

legit.

tunaseeker 08-16-2016 09:28 AM

Awesome!

tamddo714 08-16-2016 10:57 AM

awesome video and great tips. i see youre running a raymarine dragonfly. what settings are you running for your sonar? is everything on auto? thanks again

chris138 08-16-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamddo714 (Post 267463)
awesome video and great tips. i see youre running a raymarine dragonfly. what settings are you running for your sonar? is everything on auto? thanks again

Auto sensitivity, but manual depth range and noise filter. I like the Dragonfly for clarity and target definition, but it also has issues. The SD card readers just suck. I will say that Raymarine customer service is top notch, they replaced my last unit out of warranty when the card reader died. The coolest feature I thought was the "screen shot" option which got me all those bitchin shots at the end of the video. But once the SD reader dies, no more screen shots.

h2ofishfo 08-16-2016 11:45 AM

I still go braid I had some big homegaurds take weird horizontal runs right in the kelp next to the beds but either way good info

radastaff 08-16-2016 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris138 (Post 267466)
Auto sensitivity, but manual depth range and noise filter. I like the Dragonfly for clarity and target definition, but it also has issues. The SD card readers just suck. I will say that Raymarine customer service is top notch, they replaced my last unit out of warranty when the card reader died. The coolest feature I thought was the "screen shot" option which got me all those bitchin shots at the end of the video. But once the SD reader dies, no more screen shots.

my first ended up with corroded sd, df6
replaced under westmarine with df5 pro

df5pro has a more water tight sd card bay

both had issues holding bottom in auto mode
also forced to use manual depth setting because of this

hate the downgrade in size

figured any replacement would also not work properly in auto mode

P

chris138 08-16-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 267452)
Buena Vista Social Club.......I love that song and that album

P.s.

Nice fish

Who's down for a kayak fishing trip to CUBA?!?!

summers in kuwait 08-16-2016 02:10 PM

killer report!

Great video & report Chris!

See you offshore.
:sifone:

MITCHELL 08-16-2016 05:12 PM

Sweet....

Like your fish finder really show the squid and yellowtail

Sully1 08-16-2016 05:16 PM

Nice Vid!

iethinker 08-16-2016 09:32 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the report and the advice.

kayakfisherman 08-17-2016 08:52 AM

Wow Chris, great footage!!! Great report. This will help a lot of
newbies out there.

Silbaugh4liberty 08-17-2016 04:39 PM

Awesome video! Great report and info too!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LEEZO 08-17-2016 06:07 PM

nice haul! keep em comin.

Geno Machino 08-18-2016 09:58 AM

Sweet!!!