Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   solo skiff (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=30614)

2-Stix 02-13-2017 08:22 AM

solo skiff

Not sure if this has been posted before...
...http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/solo-skiff

Mitchell, Bob...this has your name all over it.

Theres some places up North of me that I could fish and surf with access like that.
Would be a blast.

SDROB 02-13-2017 08:42 AM

Holy crap! That looks like a lot of fun. Perfect for Baja

Iceman 02-13-2017 09:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Brent already sold one, guy picked up from me last week. Brent and Kerry supposed to be rigging one up for our booth at both Fred Hall Shows. I think the Hobie 21" H Rails would add some cool rigging possibilities.

tunaseeker 02-13-2017 10:25 AM

wow... Very cool. i see a lot of these selling!

Denis_Ruso 02-13-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDROB (Post 275286)
Holy crap! That looks like a lot of fun. Perfect for Baja

I was thinking the same thing. We should get a fleet for your place down there! haha.

cris 02-13-2017 10:59 AM

I drooled over these before deciding on a kayak. Cool piece of kit.

Baja_Traveler 02-13-2017 11:44 AM

I can see myself fly fishing out of one of those. Would be perfect for Bob's place to get out to the islands real quick...

Double the price once you figure in an outboard, and still it would be cheaper than the Hobie Tandem or Adventure Island I was lusting after...

Bit wider and longer than my PA14, and the hull is heavier at 150 pounds. But still, I think it could be car topped.

FullFlavorPike 02-13-2017 05:12 PM

I would get a kaboat before that. Similar capabilities and capacity, but you can roll up a kaboat.

Any reason this thing would be superior?

MITCHELL 02-13-2017 05:54 PM

Not for me....

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2-Stix (Post 275284)
Not sure if this has been posted before...
...http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/solo-skiff

Mitchell, Bob...this has your name all over it.

Theres some places up North of me that I could fish and surf with access like that.
Would be a blast.

I built my better mouse trap
But looking for a plastic mold man to make my new canoe hull....with never before seen design...
It's in my head ? after catching a 44in YT a 45in halibut and a 30in halibut plus freshwater bass and trout and a a dozen or so surf launchings I no what I want in a hull design....float like a butterfly sting like a bee ----->

2-Stix 02-14-2017 07:53 AM

I like that its pretty much un sink able. Like a boston whaler. Little safer than a canoe or inflatable.

Dannowar 02-14-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2-Stix (Post 275322)
I like that its pretty much un sink able. Like a boston whaler. Little safer than a canoe or inflatable.

And just like a Boston whaler (skiff) prepare to be wet all day

hook1fred 02-14-2017 08:39 AM

Probably paddle better than my PA 😂 I like it I'd probably wait till they sell used before I get one

Baja_Traveler 02-14-2017 12:01 PM

Like I'm never wet in my kayak - even my PA.

But I can see needing proper attire when it gets chilly out - definitely eating spray in quartering winds and swell - just like my PA, only at a more rapid pace.

I see myself using this in Baja where I'd be dry in just a few minutes.
Launch at the Old Mill and have a blast cruising out to the mouth of the bay without concern of sand bars, going where no panga dares.
Maybe shooting out of La Jolla to the outer kelp on those fall glassy mornings.
Zipping out to the island at Bob's place to fish with pole and speargun without the 10 mile round trip paddle/pedal getting in the way.
Imagine this thing down in Mag Bay! My god it would be awesome.
That little Tohatsu outboard with an external 2 gallon tank gives it a 40 mile range @ 11 mph. You can go places in this thing - and since it is a true skiff, I can use it at all the local lakes that ban SOT kayaks.

I'd put money on it being easier to paddle than my PA, though I'd probably get a stand up paddle for it instead of a kayak paddle. As you can guess, I'm pretty sold on it - spent all last night watching youtube videos and reading reviews. Gotta get a target rifle I'm not using sold to fund it first, but I'm targeting picking one up at Fred Hall San Diego (assuming rifle sells by then). Maybe have it at Bob's place during the April trip...

SDROB 02-14-2017 01:11 PM

Check out this video. This makes me really want one

https://youtu.be/9acCgcKXXDk

2-Stix 02-14-2017 01:18 PM

Wear waders and a splash jacket if you don't like the wa-wa.

hook1fred 02-14-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler (Post 275336)
Like I'm never wet in my kayak - even my PA.

But I can see needing proper attire when it gets chilly out - definitely eating spray in quartering winds and swell - just like my PA, only at a more rapid pace.

I see myself using this in Baja where I'd be dry in just a few minutes.
Launch at the Old Mill and have a blast cruising out to the mouth of the bay without concern of sand bars, going where no panga dares.
Maybe shooting out of La Jolla to the outer kelp on those fall glassy mornings.
Zipping out to the island at Bob's place to fish with pole and speargun without the 10 mile round trip paddle/pedal getting in the way.
Imagine this thing down in Mag Bay! My god it would be awesome.
That little Tohatsu outboard with an external 2 gallon tank gives it a 40 mile range @ 11 mph. You can go places in this thing - and since it is a true skiff, I can use it at all the local lakes that ban SOT kayaks.

I'd put money on it being easier to paddle than my PA, though I'd probably get a stand up paddle for it instead of a kayak paddle. As you can guess, I'm pretty sold on it - spent all last night watching youtube videos and reading reviews. Gotta get a target rifle I'm not using sold to fund it first, but I'm targeting picking one up at Fred Hall San Diego (assuming rifle sells by then). Maybe have it at Bob's place during the April trip...

You're not the only one thinking about one of these. If not for fishing then definitely for the fun factor. They look like a blast. Maybe time to sell my trinidads and talicas

FullFlavorPike 02-14-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2-Stix (Post 275322)
I like that its pretty much un sink able

Ya hear this a lot, and it always sounds a little bit like a dare to me....:eek:

King Saba 02-14-2017 07:58 PM

I'm just thinking about all the fishing possibilities with this bad boy. Looks fun!!!!

PapaDave 02-15-2017 07:00 AM

The video is cool, but they didn't show how it does on a choppy sea. Would it still be stable at those speeds?

Other then that it would be cool to have a longer range. I could see the value in that. Heck, on a good day you might get out to the Coronado's, definitely reach any offshore tuna.

fishing md 02-15-2017 07:24 AM

Take my money!!!!!!
Perfect for flyfishing!
Can I demo one at OEX sunset?