Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Nocqua 10amp power not powering Garmin striker 5 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35288)

whereubinh 05-30-2020 04:41 PM

Nocqua 10amp power not powering Garmin striker 5

Have anyone have any issues using a NOCQUA 10 amp power supply on a garmin fish finder and have it shut off after a few minutes of operation? both the striker 5 and power supply is brand new and I am reading that a garmin unit will shut off if it isn't drawing enough power. thanks in advance.

etolentino13 06-07-2020 07:52 AM

I own the Nocqua battery and have had problems. The design of the connector is good and bad. Good because it is a watertight secure connection but bad because if you’re not careful, you may insert the plug backwards even though there is a small tab that should prevent it. I have done it. The problem I ran into was that the female end must’ve widened and I had an inconsistent connection. I thought it was the actual battery. I sent it back and they looked it over and it received a clean bill of health. Then I started playing with the connection and found it was that. I bought a new connection and haven’t had a problem since. Hope you find a solution for your problem. Thought I’d share mine.

-Eddie

filippo 06-07-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etolentino13 (Post 307820)
I own the Nocqua battery and have had problems. The design of the connector is good and bad. Good because it is a watertight secure connection but bad because if you’re not careful, you may insert the plug backwards even though there is a small tab that should prevent it. I have done it. The problem I ran into was that the female end must’ve widened and I had an inconsistent connection. I thought it was the actual battery. I sent it back and they looked it over and it received a clean bill of health. Then I started playing with the connection and found it was that. I bought a new connection and haven’t had a problem since. Hope you find a solution for your problem. Thought I’d share mine.

-Eddie

Did you install yours with a fuse?

Polychrest 06-08-2020 02:32 PM

I'm having voltage issues with my Nocqua. After a full chard with their "pro" charger my Lowrance 5TI shows 12.0v but after 2 to 3 hours it is in the low 11s to high 10s, which is just barely enough to power it. I think Garmins require 11v. I'm going to try one more test before I turn mine into a live well battery.

whereubinh 06-08-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polychrest (Post 307871)
I'm having voltage issues with my Nocqua. After a full chard with their "pro" charger my Lowrance 5TI shows 12.0v but after 2 to 3 hours it is in the low 11s to high 10s, which is just barely enough to power it. I think Garmins require 11v. I'm going to try one more test before I turn mine into a live well battery.

Yup, that is exactly what is happening. How many times have fully charged it?
I've open a cased with NOCQUA but they have yet to respond.

Polychrest 06-09-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whereubinh (Post 307876)
Yup, that is exactly what is happening. How many times have fully charged it?
I've open a cased with NOCQUA but they have yet to respond.

Less than 5 times.

jruiz 06-09-2020 10:25 AM

Most 12V lithium ion battery packs are 3 cell batteries. Each cell has an operating voltage of 3.7V. 3.7 x 3 = 11.1V

High 10s to low 11s is normal for the battery. If your FF truly will only operate above 11V, then this battery won't work for you. You will probably only get a third of the actual run time before it goes below 11.

etolentino13 06-09-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filippo (Post 307826)
Did you install yours with a fuse?

Yes, I did install a fuse.

SoCalEDC 06-10-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jruiz (Post 307909)
Most 12V lithium ion battery packs are 3 cell batteries. Each cell has an operating voltage of 3.7V. 3.7 x 3 = 11.1V

High 10s to low 11s is normal for the battery. If your FF truly will only operate above 11V, then this battery won't work for you. You will probably only get a third of the actual run time before it goes below 11.

Good info here.

A 12V 10AH battery is 20 bucks on amazon. Hard to beat that. Its bigger and heavier but we are talking about a pretty small battery over all.

FISH11 06-10-2020 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalEDC (Post 307927)
Good info here.

A 12V 10AH battery is 20 bucks on amazon. Hard to beat that. Its bigger and heavier but we are talking about a pretty small battery over all.

X2