Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   DP 3-21-21 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=36193)

Salty 03-21-2021 01:11 PM

DP 3-21-21

7 Attachment(s)
Started out early on the water at about 5:15ish at the baby beach. Planned to head to the kelp beds between the points at Strands/Salt Creek. Day started out gloomy and wet. Thick fog and drizzle on the way to the buoy. Got my first fish before sunrise: a decent sized Calico at 18". Made for a fun fight on the lighter tackle. Took some picks and let him go. Rest of the day didn't see much action at all. Water temps were cold, consistently in the 53-55 range. Water quality wasn't very good either until I got past Salt Creek and into the Monarch Bay area. Brought some shrimp to target sheephead, but big swells made it difficult to maintain a decent position. Had a few bites, but nothing stuck. Lots of snags though. Sun finally broke through and it was a really nice day on the water at least, even if it wasn't very fishy. Hope you enjoy the pics!

Oolie 03-21-2021 01:20 PM

Nice photo work.

dorado123 03-21-2021 04:05 PM

Nice photos !

I was thinking to go today but weather report was pretty bad and windy
But photo looks like water is pretty calm and nice
Maybe I shouldn't trust weather

Salty 03-21-2021 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorado123 (Post 313235)
Nice photos !

I was thinking to go today but weather report was pretty bad and windy
But photo looks like water is pretty calm and nice
Maybe I shouldn't trust weather

Actually I was going to go today(sunday), but saw the same surf/weather forecast! Saturday looked better so I rearranged my plans. Glad I did because it looked a bit rough out today. Ready for summer already lol

dorado123 03-21-2021 05:01 PM

how long it took you to go to salt creek from baby beach ?

I mostly concentrate to catch halibut so I stay beach area most of time
I tried to go there once but on the half way wind and wave stopped me

kayakfisherman 03-21-2021 07:10 PM

Very cool Dana Point report. Love the pics. Nice calle!

Salty 03-21-2021 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayakfisherman (Post 313240)
Very cool Dana Point report. Love the pics. Nice calle!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorado123 (Post 313238)
how long it took you to go to salt creek from baby beach ?

I mostly concentrate to catch halibut so I stay beach area most of time
I tried to go there once but on the half way wind and wave stopped me

I didn't time it, if I was on the water at about 5:15am, I didn't get back to the baby beach until about 2:30pm. So a solid 9 hours total. Most of the time spent cruising slowly, trolling the carolina rig and dropping on structure and marks when I saw them. Once the wind started getting angry, I kind of just booked it back as fast as I could. When I got back to the baby beach, there was a guy on a paddle board and his buddy on a kayak about to launch. Guy said it was his first time ever trying kayak fishing. I gave them all my leftover shrimp and squid and they were stoked. Maybe we'll see them on the forum here some day haha

JohnMckroidJr 03-21-2021 10:28 PM

Love the photography! Nice.

vincentek9 03-23-2021 05:23 AM

thanks for the report. yikes 53-55F water temp is pretty darn cold. Hope the water temps start climbing up real soon.

Salty 03-24-2021 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 313243)
Love the photography! Nice.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincentek9 (Post 313259)
thanks for the report. yikes 53-55F water temp is pretty darn cold. Hope the water temps start climbing up real soon.

Yeah, I was surprised at the temps too. Been hope to see that climb start.