Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Great loss - Vito Busalacchi (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=33751)

lamb 12-26-2018 01:20 PM

Great loss - Vito Busalacchi

With a heavy heart, wanted to let everyone know -
kayak community has lost one of the pioneers, and one of the nicest guys I ever had a pleasure knowing.

Vito Buaslacchi passed away on Sunday 12/23/2018.

I'm sure all the old guard knows Vito. He was in his 9th decade of life, and till the last day, he's been fishing off of his kayak. The last couple of years, he stopped hitting La Jolla, as he couldn't deal with the surf. But at least twice a week, he was launching from Mission Bay, paddling out the MB jetties and fishing PL/MB/PB.

Vito was a hard core fisherman, and truly wonderful human being.

He'll be burred at sea at a private family ceremony.

Condolences to Donna, and the rest of Busalacchi family.

RIP Vito!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...n_Bay_2017.jpg

T-Rex 12-26-2018 02:04 PM

Very sad news. Vito was a true gentleman. Now I know why I hadn’t seen him fishing La Jolla for a while. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iceman 12-26-2018 02:30 PM

This tugs so hard at my heart. Vito has always been my hero. He was as hard core as they get and always fun to be around. He will always be an inspiration. God Bless you Vito and safe travels my friend.

kirkdavis 12-26-2018 03:14 PM

Sad news indeed

I had no idea of his name, and I certainly thought he was decades younger than what you are reporting. I met that very nice gentleman probably half a dozen times outside Mission bay in the last year or so. We always chatted for a few minutes (about fishing of course), then each went our own way. Seems like he wasn't too concerned about whether he caught fish that day...he just loved being out there like the rest of us. He put a lot of miles on that yak. I am always outside the bay by daylight, and I believe he always beat me out, and he would go down as far as the green towers on Point Loma.
I last saw him just a month or so ago, and am saddened by the fact I won't be seeing him again.
May he rest in peace.
It gives us hope that we can pursue our dreams to a ripe old age!

steveooo 12-26-2018 03:42 PM

Oh man, this is rough news. Vito was a regular encounter on trips to La Jolla, always fun to chat with, a very fishy guys, and super helpful when I was just a newb. We should all be so lucky as to enjoy this sport as late into life as Vito did.

God Speed Brother.

kurt 12-26-2018 05:30 PM

A true gentleman, kind soul, and all around class act. I feel lucky to have known him, and he'll be missed. Rest in peace, Vito.

Holy Mackerel 12-26-2018 06:44 PM

RIP Vito, always a friendly voice on the water.

LEEZO 12-26-2018 07:38 PM

He lived a couple houses from my parents. He was always hosing down a salty kayak out in front of his home. Had the pleasure of chating with him a couple times. He was a legend and will be missed. RIP Vito

swinginFish 12-26-2018 10:37 PM

... Vito ...

I started kayak fishing in LJ in 2001. On one of my earliest outings I start chatting to a guy on the water and, after sharing names, we realized we knew each other from school-related work more than a decade earlier in Escondido. Ever since then, Vito and I would re-encounter each other on the water in LJ and recount both fishing and work-related incidents (Vito had the more interesting stories). While there's likely a former Escondido truant or two who might still have harsh feelings for Vito, the bottom line is his loss leaves a vacuum that is impossible to fill. He was, in short, a wonderfully animated, well-meaning and invariably gracious guy who knew what was what on the water and elsewhere. Those of us known or recognized as the so-called "old guard" were quite lucky to count Vito as part of our posse, and vice versa. I fear the day's passed when "Yo Vito!" would ring across the water. Those were fine times, fine times. RIP paison, RIP!
Avery

Deamon 12-26-2018 11:50 PM

Vito! The friendliest, most gracious kayak man. He’d want them bass for his pasta meals. Always alone when I’d run into him, but we’d immediately fish together every time! RIP Vito. :paddleersmilie:
Jim

katchfish 12-27-2018 11:25 AM

The Godfather of kayak fishing!

I'm honored to know him.

Good times, glad to spend time on the water with him.

R.I.P. Sir.

Pat 12-27-2018 06:39 PM

Ciao my friend, you will be missed. :jig:

RK 12-27-2018 08:41 PM

Rest in paradise one of my favorite fisherman and friends of all time! Vito my brother you truly were a legend and an inspiration to us all! You will be deeply missed but always remembered. Very sad news but thank you for sharing Adi

Dennis 12-28-2018 05:58 AM

RIP Vito! He was one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met, and fished with. A true loss for the community.

PAL 12-28-2018 07:39 AM

Too many legends fading away. Rest well Vito!

Lit-up1 12-28-2018 09:40 AM

Vito

You will be missed-RIP- thanks for putting me on the fish..

landwhale 12-28-2018 12:57 PM

I had the pleasure to meet Vito a few times and admired his friendly attitude and iron man nature. Rest in peace Vito!!!!!

MITCHELL 12-28-2018 11:24 PM

That smile looks real familiar.....

Rip... in the happy hunting grounds....:kayak-surfer::reel:

Johnp 12-30-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAL (Post 298965)
Too many legends fading away. Rest well Vito!

My Dad was one of those old legends! An Italian pole fisherman from the early days. He and Vito were friends and met with others from the little Italy neighborhood for lunch. Dad passed in early November of this year. Sad to see the greatest generation passing away. If you go to the waterfront bar you will see Dads pictures on the wall. They may be trading fishing stories in heaven!
I talked with Vito on the water the day he was making his maiden voyage on that Hobie Revolution. We chatted outside the surf zone for a bit, when I finally got out to the zone, I met another legend and great guy that was taken way before his time. Rod Bennet, hot bite that day. Rod had two WSB on the yo yo and handed off two more to me, As he was overladen. RIP Dad, Vito, and Rod

DESTROYER 01-02-2019 04:31 PM

Vito will be missed! Shared the water and some good bites with him several times. Hope he is have a frosty cold one with my Dad in the clouds. RIP Don Vito!

summers in kuwait 01-03-2019 09:56 AM

Very sad to hear about Vito.
My condolences to his family.

RIP

Billy V 01-04-2019 10:23 AM

In the saddle right untill the end - Godspeed Vito..

aguachico 01-15-2019 05:18 PM

Vito would never switch to waders. He told me one day commercial fishing he went overboard in waders and nearly drowned.

RIP buon amico.

phreshwon 01-16-2019 08:41 AM

Very sad to hear. I had the pleasure of fishing with him on many slow days. He always had a great attitude and energy about him. Although I always questioned his taste because he preferred to eat Spanish Mackeral over Yellowtail:confused:

Jimm H 01-18-2019 09:50 AM

Truely one of a kind

Ran into Vito and fished with him a number of times over the years. Phreshwon is correct in his taste for Spanish Macs. He would always ask for my left over bait because his wife had a recipe he absolutely preferred over any other fish!
God Bless, Vito.

rvonkaenel 06-11-2019 07:01 AM

Thanks for the heart felt post. Gives a 76 year young hope!