Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hummingbird 580 not turning on (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29196)

supaboy1981 05-28-2016 09:19 PM

Hummingbird 580 not turning on

Bought a kayak with this ff on it, seller showed me it works but whenever I try to turn it on it just stays blank. Does anyone have the same unit or a compatible one I could try my head unit on to see if it's the wiring or the head unit. I'm in carlsbad so anywhere near there would be fantastic

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Geno Machino 05-28-2016 09:43 PM

Sounds stupid, however is the battery charged...?

supaboy1981 05-28-2016 10:25 PM

Charged twice just to be sure

tacmik 05-29-2016 04:14 AM

Are the wires from the battery hooked up correctly. Try reversing them.

supaboy1981 05-29-2016 07:52 AM

Getting 12.47 on the voltmeter same at the terminal connectors and the at the head unit power attachment .9. There is a 2 fuse on the power line. So the unit has power. I'm guessing it's just the head unit. I tried to take it apart to see inside but I don't have a hex bolt that size and it's stripped just enough so my Allen doesn't turn it. Anybody have a lead on a compatible head unit?

YakDout 05-29-2016 08:14 AM

Brightness all the way down? Happened to me before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Rex 05-29-2016 08:17 AM

Are you getting 12v after the fuse?

Dennis 05-29-2016 08:30 AM

I would say send it back to hummingbird, but it doesn't look like they service that model anymore. Even if they did, at $120+ I'd just buy a new fishfinder.

YakDout 05-29-2016 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supaboy1981 (Post 262134)
Getting 12.47 on the voltmeter same at the terminal connectors and the at the head unit power attachment .9. There is a 2 fuse on the power line. So the unit has power. I'm guessing it's just the head unit. I tried to take it apart to see inside but I don't have a hex bolt that size and it's stripped just enough so my Allen doesn't turn it. Anybody have a lead on a compatible head unit?

Sounds like you are losing power in the wiring somewhere. Wires corroded? Good connections. Someone correct me if I am wrong but the .9 volts you are getting at the head unit should be close to the same as at the battery, no?

supaboy1981 05-29-2016 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Rex (Post 262136)
Are you getting 12v after the fuse?

Yep, but I don't have 12 at the connector to the head unit. I have .9. That's not normal right?

fishingfool 05-29-2016 09:17 AM

Ohm out your fuses sometimes they look good but are bad. redo your leads at the battery and use some contact cleaner on the connections at the head unit. spray the connector at the head unit and plug. Then put some dielectric on the head and cable. Also check the wire for any signs of or broken wire or worn spots along the length of wire. Also check the ohms between both ends of wire this should help find the bad wire. Hope this helps.

YOYOYaker 05-29-2016 01:47 PM

Try probing with the voltmeter with both probes at 2 different points along the same conductor path. For instance, neg. probe on one side of the fuse, pos. probe on the other side of fuse. When checking like this, on volts scale, you want to see very small to no voltage. When you see more than a volt, the problem lies between the two points just checked. What you are doing with this is looking for a voltage drop between the two points. Since you are checking conductors, there should not be a a drop (indicating resistance there). When doing this, everything needs to be connected, including the battery. Hope this helps.

FullFlavorPike 05-29-2016 02:51 PM

I would just rewire it and see if the problem goes away. If it does, it was definitely the wiring. If it doesn't, it wasn't. No guessing. Troubleshooting with binary options can be good that way.

tomahawk 05-29-2016 04:24 PM

0.9 volts at connector = bad wire harness
are you sure the volt meter is making good contact at the connector?
if so, the problem can either be:
1. bad fuse
2. broken wire
3. bad connection
I wouldn't send the unit back until I was getting the correct voltage at the connector.

Fishin' Magician 05-30-2016 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 262135)
Brightness all the way down? Happened to me before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, happened to me as well with my Lowrance unit. I had a completely black screen and thought that it was dead. Turned out that it has a brightness setting that I wasn't aware of and somehow I had accidentally turned it all the way down. Once I figure that out, it was a simple matter to get it up and running again. I felt pretty stupid afterwards as I was ready to throw the unit away.

supaboy1981 05-30-2016 11:29 AM

Got it to turn on, the power cable is def wonky, anyone got one they aren't using? These things cost $23 bucks, lol

supaboy1981 05-30-2016 02:04 PM

Put it all back together, bent the prong so it maintains contact, tested numerous times, put it all back together tested again and it doesn't work, lol. Take it all apart again pull my hair out trying to figure out what went wrong finally test the batt again and realized I blew the fuse putting it back together. Doh!