Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   post tsunami LJ fishing (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=9647)

roadx 03-11-2011 05:07 AM

post tsunami LJ fishing

wife doesnt want me to go until post tsunami and i have missed first light.

anyone that was planning on going out this morning to LJ want to go out post tsunami? say around 9:30?

waves look like they are increasing for tomorrow and tampering off sunday. today might be the best day to go this weekend.

so who's in??

jorluivil 03-11-2011 06:12 AM

Tsunami waves are expected to hit LJ at 8:48am and expected to last at least a few hours.

roadx 03-11-2011 07:10 AM

oh well i have been wanting to convert my wet well to a grease mount.
try again tomorrow i guess :cool:

jhook 03-11-2011 07:14 AM

You should be fine. Predicting a 2 foot surge. Go fishing.

wiredantz 03-11-2011 08:02 AM

I wouldn't go even if if i wanted to.... that just my opinion

wiredantz 03-11-2011 08:03 AM

plus our harbors are closed.... that should tell you something

fishsouthcounty 03-11-2011 09:02 AM

just make sure if you go you dont decide to put the yak in while the surge is coming back in otherwise youll be goin nowhere fast.

chris138 03-11-2011 09:08 AM

:kayak-surfer:

bus kid 03-11-2011 09:09 AM

jump in as the surge is going out, you might make it to SCI in under an hour.:biggrinjester:

mtnbykr2 03-11-2011 09:17 AM

I checked various beach cams around 8:30 thru 9:00 didn't really see anything out of the norm, I feel for the peeps on the other side of the pond though, that was pretty bad, the worst there since they started keeping track

MuddyMike 03-11-2011 09:24 AM

I had my truck all loaded up except for the kayak last night, went to bed, and woke up to a message on my phone telling me I better not go because of the earthquake/tsunami.

At first I was thinking, yeah right, I'm going fishing! .... but seeing the air shot of the wave in Japan somehow made staying home seem not so bad.

Since I took the day off, I'm just going to hit up the FH show today instead of tomorrow.... after a trip to the bank. :D

dsafety 03-11-2011 10:14 AM

If you are getting any of the surges on the mainland that I witnessed here in Kauai, my recommendation is that you stay home until things calm down.

All the low lying areas throughout the state were evacuated at midnight last night. The Tsunami was supposed to hit about 3 AM. I spent the night in my car a couple miles from the coast along with several thousand new friends. We were allowed to return at 7:30 this morning.

I went down to the beach as soon as I could and witnessed something I have never seen before. Over a period of a couple minutes, the water receded from the cove in front of our place, exposing the reef where I had snorkeled in ten feet of water yesterday. A couple minutes later, the water returned filling the cove to a level a couple feet above the high tide line. 20 minutes later, the event was repeated. I have never seen anything like this.

The tidal flows were fairly gentle where I was, but there were a few places in the Islands that got hit hard. Most of the damage that I have heard about was to docks in the marinas. Many of the boat owners took their boats to sea last night to avoid getting knocked around. There were hundreds of lights bobbing off shore last night.

This is an experience that I will never forget. Mom nature is a very powerful lady.

Bob

wiredantz 03-11-2011 10:56 AM

You should of filmed it!!!

maui jim 03-11-2011 12:42 PM

Who's gunna protect the seals at Chrildens pool?.....
Call Mrs. Psyco Chick, my God.... those protected mamamals were in danger....:cool:

old_rookie 03-11-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiredantz (Post 78286)
You should of filmed it!!!

First few pics show it.

http://www.kitv.com/slideshow/news/27160357/detail.html

Riskey Water 03-11-2011 01:16 PM

Damn !!! With fish all over the road tha AQUA HUNTERS didnt need to paddle out to get thier bag limit ,just walk the road and pick up those "Fish Out Of Water " Seriously though, this is a tragic disaster And prayers to all that were involved

dfroggy54 03-11-2011 01:29 PM

Man, those aerial shots are shocking.:eek:

Jimmyz123 03-11-2011 02:03 PM

A 2 foot surge doesn't sound like much but for someone on a Kayak the drawing out of the water and rush back in may be more than one wants to risk.

Riskey Water 03-11-2011 02:44 PM

Aqua Hunter Brothers

Those boys had a hell of network going on offering up there homes on higher ground to their fellow brothers of the water ,was good to see all went well for them on the islands

GregAndrew 03-11-2011 04:22 PM

This Tsunami was not a big deal on the SoCal coast. They were only forcasting 2 - 3 feet tidal swings on a day that would otherwise have had very little. Just had to keep yourself out of inlets to harbors, marinas, coves etc. I saw a similar thing today Bob. When we landed, I came in first about 15 minutes ahead of my buddies. I landed 4 -5 feet higher up the beach (a good 40 - 50 feet away on a steep beach) than them. A sailboater passed by me and said he could not even motor out of the harbor entrance due to the flow.