Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Spinnerbait for spotted - newport (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=12338)

min-va 01-09-2012 04:42 PM

Spinnerbait for spotted - newport

Sorry for the long story~

Yesterday, i hooked my first spotted in newport using spinnerbait, it was awesome!!

Not like most of the people fishing spinnerbait start with freshwater bass, in fact, i never really fish freshwater, my first bass was a spotted in DP few years ago, so spinnerbait for me is really new, and look weird, and i never really have confidence in them

I have a daiwa spinnerbait in my tacklebox for always 2 years, never catch anything, i did use it, but always put it away after few casts....lol...finally yesterday i said to myself, i have to catch my first spotted using spinnerbait, after 30 mins of cast, i got a really good hit, but i lost it on the surface, then i fished for another hour, got another hit, but same thing, lost it after few cranks..

Since i had this spinnerbait for almost 2 years, i never really wash it, the hook is kind of rust, so i think that was the reason.

So now i have more confidence in spinnerbait, can you guys give me some ideas which spinnerbait i should get for saltwater? name a few please..

Siebler 01-09-2012 04:49 PM

Its funny because I until a few years back never had any confidence in spinnerbaits for freshwater however they were my Go To in salt.

As for Brands, there are a lot but most Freshwater baits wont last long in saltwater.

Hate to do this shamless plug buuut...

I used to manufacture spinnerbaits specifically for Saltwater bass. Everything is as corrosion resistant as you can get, skirts are tied on so they wont rott off, etc. Anyways just getting restarted and will have them at OEX but if you are interested send me a PM and I will give you some special pricing. They arnt cheap but they are everything you could want form a spinnerbait for bay bass and you can make colors custom....

rogersmith 01-09-2012 09:46 PM

cool CJ, I'll be checking in at the shop for those!

roadx 01-10-2012 05:03 AM

do you have any heavier spinners in the 1-1/2oz range?

taggermike 01-10-2012 06:38 AM

Over the last decade or so I've seen fresh water bass techniques successfully moving in to salt water bass fishing. I'm thinking drop shot, jerk bait, crank baits, verticle flipping, and deffinately spinner baits. I heard Capt. Ron Baker talk about spinner baits about 10 years ago but I didn't take it too seriously. I haven't fished fresh water much and have zero experience with spinner baits there. Some guys swear by them but after trying several different spinnerbaits over the last few years in different salt water locations I have caught exactly 2 spotted bass. 1 in SD bay and the other in Baja. I will say that when a nice spottie hits a spinner bait it is just crushing. I conclude that I am a poor spinner bait fisherman and not that spinnerbaits are poor baits. I'll keep fishing with them. Mike

Siebler 01-10-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadx (Post 104674)
do you have any heavier spinners in the 1-1/2oz range?

Biggest I do is 1oz. The 1oz bait probably is closer to an actual 1 1/4oz after you add paint, blades, etc. I know some folks judge weights like this...

If I can get a hold of the guy that made my molds is like to get them to 2oz but all the CNC guys are AWOL lately it seems.

DESTROYER 01-10-2012 11:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Check out the Reebs Bolt Thrower. We will be releasing it on Feb 1. This spinnerbait is legit and you will love it. Almost completely weedless. I've been doing some prefishing with it before we release it and got 2 of my biggest spotties on it.

Attachment 5549

Attachment 5550

kobra 01-10-2012 04:29 PM

Hey Matty, what weights are going to be available? I could use a 1 1/2 and 2 ounce blade. Not looking for a hand out, just wondering if youse guys are making them that big.

roadx 01-10-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kobra (Post 104715)
Hey Matty, what weights are going to be available? I could use a 1 1/2 and 2 ounce blade. Not looking for a hand out, just wondering if youse guys are making them that big.

x2

of course i'll take handouts :D

eertkao 01-11-2012 12:24 AM

hey guys, I don't mean to thread jack in any way but I wanted to know how you guys fish with the spinner baits?

Do you just cast and then crank it back to you steadily? or do you let it sink a little and then reel?

Nic D 01-11-2012 03:44 AM

Bob, the 1oz will be the first to come out then the 1.5 and don't worry, there will be plenty bolt throwers on the skiff.

DESTROYER 01-11-2012 09:03 AM

EE- How you fish them depends on where and what depth you are fishing. For the most part because this is a heavier spinnerbait, I usually throw it out and slowly start reeling back. I change speed and sometimes do a pause to trigger a bite. It takes a little practice and you won't catch a ton of fish on it but you will hook up quality spotties.

I fish nothing less than 12lb test when fishing these. Hope this helps.

@Bob, Reebs just doubled his order cause OEX will be carrying them in Feb. Thanks Brent and CJ...They should sell well.

RedSledTeam 01-11-2012 09:15 AM

Iceman, will you be stoking these also?

Iceman 01-11-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Iceman, will you be stoking these also?

I better............I have always been a fan of the blade!

eertkao 01-11-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESTROYER (Post 104759)
EE- How you fish them depends on where and what depth you are fishing. For the most part because this is a heavier spinnerbait, I usually throw it out and slowly start reeling back. I change speed and sometimes do a pause to trigger a bite. It takes a little practice and you won't catch a ton of fish on it but you will hook up quality spotties.

I fish nothing less than 12lb test when fishing these. Hope this helps.

@Bob, Reebs just doubled his order cause OEX will be carrying them in Feb. Thanks Brent and CJ...They should sell well.

Got it. And can the spinner baits be fished without a worm/swimbait attached to the hook or is it a game changer? Thanks for the info!

robmandel 01-11-2012 03:36 PM

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...0/P7120053.jpg

Don't limit yourself to harbors. One of my favorite techniques is to get in close to shore and cast inside the surf line. You'd be amazed at the tight to shore bass. It's actually something I learned about on the islander m-ship trips.

They are fairly weedless too. Fish them on the drop, slow wind, stop and go, drag on bottom, etc

Though they rock in harbors too
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...9/P4060243.jpg

Amish Ed 01-11-2012 10:49 PM

I've got to put in my .02 for my favorite. The Edge Hyspin. Turns almost any lead head into a spinner bait. I love the fact that they take up so much less room than the traditional blade when it comes to storage.

roadx 01-12-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amish Ed (Post 104818)
I've got to put in my .02 for my favorite. The Edge Hyspin. Turns almost any lead head into a spinner bait. I love the fact that they take up so much less room than the traditional blade when it comes to storage.

interesting how weedless are they?

Amish Ed 01-12-2012 09:35 PM

How weedless it is depends on the head used. Pretty much however weedless the head is with out the Hyspin will be how weedless it is with. Ball heads are best and triangle next best. Spear heads not so good. A nice feature is the fact that you barely have to pop it to get the blade to spin. I figure it's a combination of the blade shape and that it's a single blade.

kobra 01-12-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamarack Studios (Post 104743)
Bob, the 1oz will be the first to come out then the 1.5 and don't worry, there will be plenty bolt throwers on the skiff.

Right on Nic.