Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   05/30 La Jolla all day. (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35291)

matthew7! 05-30-2020 07:23 PM

05/30 La Jolla all day.

Got up nice and early this morning and fished for all the fish ever haha. Started out making bait and drifting for hailbut(fish 1) found some great size bait but no takers. Drifted for a hour. Then went over to the edge of the kelp and drifted some baits for White Sea bass (fish 2) changed things up a little after the baits weren’t working very well for us. Dropped shrimp in the kelp and caught a couple kelp bass (fish 3) and pulled up a couple small sheephead (fish 4) now being around noon winds were about 8-10mph, went out rock fishing. Saw some birds working about a mile past the rock fishing spot so chased them down. Throw some irons and flat falls at them, lots of dolphins working and lots and lots of birds. Hoping for a yellow tail (fish 5) Didn’t mark much of the fish finder. Went back a mile and caught some rock fish (fish 6) for dinner. Then made the paddle back to the beach 4.4 miles away. Overall good day very windy all day. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...5b799f8a47.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ea52cfffd4.jpg

govomit 05-31-2020 02:38 PM

Matthew on his way to become Time-On-the-Water King and grab the crown from Greg B ♔ ! A rising star ✭ :luxhello:

SoCalEDC 06-02-2020 11:37 AM

Dude you are killing it. Getting out almost every day, huh?

igotpron 06-02-2020 12:03 PM

I’m starting to think he got kicked out of his house. Or really dislikes the people he lives with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matthew7! 06-02-2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igotpron (Post 307657)
I’m starting to think he got kicked out of his house. Or really dislikes the people he lives with.

Wife took a little trip gotta enjoy the extra fishing time.

TJones 06-03-2020 05:52 AM

Good report

That was me coming in behind you on a PA. Looked very fishy out there, but nobody wanted to play. Stayed on the water to see the sunset. Dolphins started to go on the chew as soon as the lights went out. Amongst other predators. You could feel the tension on the water. It was actually kinda eerie that night coming in. Felt like I was being watched. :D. Hope to get out there soon. :reel:

matthew7! 06-03-2020 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 307674)
That was me coming in behind you on a PA. Looked very fishy out there, but nobody wanted to play. Stayed on the water to see the sunset. Dolphins started to go on the chew as soon as the lights went out. Amongst other predators. You could feel the tension on the water. It was actually kinda eerie that night coming in. Felt like I was being watched. :D. Hope to get out there soon. :reel:

I stayed out after dark the day before and I definitely could agree with that. It’s gets really quite quickly and then you can hear things all around you. Dolphins hitting bait, the bait ball moving across the surface, the sea lions breathing and jumping. But what do you like to use for lures with the sun goes down? Do you switch to glow in the dark irons? Thanks!

chris138 06-03-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthew7! (Post 307681)
I stayed out after dark the day before and I definitely could agree with that. It’s gets really quite quickly and then you can hear things all around you. Dolphins hitting bait, the bait ball moving across the surface, the sea lions breathing and jumping. But what do you like to use for lures with the sun goes down? Do you switch to glow in the dark irons? Thanks!

Try frozen squid on a glow iron or on a swimbait head.

TJones 06-04-2020 06:12 AM

X2

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris138 (Post 307700)
Try frozen squid on a glow iron or on a swimbait head.

Some fresh stuff would be nice. :D. I don't have a ton of experience fishing in the dark, specifically on the kayak alone in the ocean. I do like the experience of watching the sunset while on the water. It is pretty humbling, and what you described is pretty spot on. The surf that night was flat, but coming in after dark when any kind of moderate surf is present, brings a whole different set of challenges. Especially on a loaded Pro Angler. Getting destroyed at night on a kayak is one thing, but on a Pro Angler is something I have yet to experience. Back to your question specifically, I do know plenty of guys that have caught fish on live bait using a dropper style rig. Chris is probably the go to guy though, and the fore mentioned technique might be the better option. If you are interested in giving it a go in the near future, give me a shout out. I will probably start heading down with a little more frequency in the next couple of weeks. I reside in Los Angeles County, so there is some commute involved, but I got lots of free time on my hands these next couple months. :D. Be safe.

igotpron 06-08-2020 07:23 PM

What’s your camera setup? Wanting to get something setup with my oasis so I can get pictures of the kid.

matthew7! 06-08-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igotpron (Post 307881)
What’s your camera setup? Wanting to get something setup with my oasis so I can get pictures of the kid.

It’s like a GoPro stick that goes into the front hole on my pa. Think it’s the hole for the sail.

igotpron 06-09-2020 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthew7! (Post 307886)
It’s like a GoPro stick that goes into the front hole on my pa. Think it’s the hole for the sail.

Thanks man. Now I’ve never had a GoPro. Are you recording video? Or have a remote setup to snap pictures?

matthew7! 06-09-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igotpron (Post 307900)
Thanks man. Now I’ve never had a GoPro. Are you recording video? Or have a remote setup to snap pictures?

On the GoPro app you can select individual frames and save the images. So I take like a ten second video then save the frame I like. I really like my GoPro for the use I get out of it, never had anything else ether so I’m a little bias.