Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Kayak fishing has been great but....... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=26187)

cell128 07-12-2015 06:13 PM

Kayak fishing has been great but.......

Who else is having the "need a boat" itch? Or has dumped their boat for kayakin? Seems like tuna and yellows right outside kayak range besides LA Jolla wich has not been that nice to me other than a fat ling I caught 3 days out of season??? I could get a boat but not sure if its worth the investment. Maybe I should stop reading so many bloody decks reports lol

surfisher 07-12-2015 07:34 PM

Well, I am lucky enough to have a dad that has an 18' Striper, which he lets me use as long as I clean every damn inch of the boat after I use it. They are both great. I prefer the kayak to the boat because of the ease of it all and cost. Granite, it only costs about 60$ to fill up the tank on the boat. They both have their place and I wouldn't give one up for the other.

But yes, the tuna are easily in kayak range! We ran into the tuna about 3-4 miles straight out of OSIDE today! If you think LJ on a crowded day is bad you should have seen the mess today. People were running completely over the paddies and running over boiling tuna. There must have been over 150+ boats out over a small spread. It was a joke. I would be scared to be on a kayak as they probably would obliviously run you over.

ful-rac 07-12-2015 07:43 PM

BWE POST POLICE! PULL OVER!

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfisher (Post 233380)
Granite, it only costs about 60$ to fill up the tank on the boat. They both have their place and I wouldn't give one up for the other.

GRANITE?! :eek:

surfisher 07-12-2015 07:58 PM

Haha damnit! I'm tired. Granted*

YakDout 07-12-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 233381)
GRANITE?! :eek:

We talkin counter tops here?

Silbaugh4liberty 07-13-2015 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfisher (Post 233380)
Well, I am lucky enough to have a dad that has an 18' Striper, which he lets me use as long as I clean every damn inch of the boat after I use it. They are both great. I prefer the kayak to the boat because of the ease of it all and cost. Granite, it only costs about 60$ to fill up the tank on the boat. They both have their place and I wouldn't give one up for the other.

But yes, the tuna are easily in kayak range! We ran into the tuna about 3-4 miles straight out of OSIDE today! If you think LJ on a crowded day is bad you should have seen the mess today. People were running completely over the paddies and running over boiling tuna. There must have been over 150+ boats out over a small spread. It was a joke. I would be scared to be on a kayak as they probably would obliviously run you over.

Probably busy because its free to launch, and there's a free parking lot close by too. And a barge right there. Last July me and a few buddies tried to launch from Dana in search of tuna, but it was closed by 7am, completely full, and had to go elsewhere, and that's when we discovered oceanside launch.

PapaDave 07-13-2015 08:17 AM

I got the itch for a boat and scratched it. Bought a used 20' Robalo...

Hunters Pa 07-13-2015 08:21 AM

My 18' center console was a casualty of my last move. Nowhere to park it. Wish I still had it.

cell128 07-13-2015 08:50 AM

I almost bought a 86 shamrock 18' center console a few weeks ago but it had carb issues. I said if he fixed it id buy it... Hasn't got back to me yet

cell128 07-13-2015 08:54 AM

We did 8 Mile round trip on Saturday 3-4 miles sounds easy and worth it for tuna. We went out 2 miles from Newport but weren't seeing any life so went back in after one of us hooked a baby gws didn't wanna see momma pissed

HobieScot 07-13-2015 11:15 AM

I have always had that need a boat itch ever since I got rid of mine. Just like I still get that motorcycle itch since I don't ride anymore.

It's been years and it seems that neither of those ever go away!

Silbaugh4liberty 07-13-2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cell128 (Post 233421)
We did 8 Mile round trip on Saturday 3-4 miles sounds easy and worth it for tuna. We went out 2 miles from Newport but weren't seeing any life so went back in after one of us hooked a baby gws didn't wanna see momma pissed

Next time let's not mess around with rockfish in the morning. Just go straight out. We saw a few terns, but didn't really go check to see what was going on. Instead of trolling sardines that kept disappearing from my hook, I'll have to bring a crank bait or something and troll that.

dc1983 07-13-2015 01:03 PM

I just sold my boat a couple weeks ago and came back to kayaking. Kayak fishing is more enjoyable if you ask me.

bluesquids 07-13-2015 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty (Post 233407)
Probably busy because its free to launch, and there's a free parking lot close by too. And a barge right there. Last July me and a few buddies tried to launch from Dana in search of tuna, but it was closed by 7am, completely full, and had to go elsewhere, and that's when we discovered oceanside launch.

Oceanside has been filled up too lately all the way up the hill to the del taco.

Silbaugh4liberty 07-13-2015 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesquids (Post 233457)
Oceanside has been filled up too lately all the way up the hill to the del taco.

Oh damn! I believe it! I kinda drives me crazy when you see some people take up 4 spots with their trick and trailer though.

surfisher 07-13-2015 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesquids (Post 233457)

Only on the weekends :D .... maybe 7-10 trailers today.

jimmy310 07-13-2015 04:28 PM

stop being a legalized homo and keep the kayak, pedal to the metal!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cell128 07-15-2015 06:53 PM

Feeling bummed out. Was suppose to go check out this sweet 16' skiff on a honda 4 stroke oubtoard he pmd me before he posted it for sale i skipped it til he posted it. Now that he posted it i was suppoed to go fishing on it tomorrow..and buy it....he sold it today FML lol

cell128 07-15-2015 06:55 PM

Also gave up a sweet 18ft shamrock that was real nice but I didn't like the inboard motor and had carb issues but it was a beauty .... Skipped and called back a few days ago.... Sold it a week ago FML lol

cell128 07-15-2015 07:02 PM

Need a break I'll be hanging out a Cabrillo tomorrow those halibut better jump on my hook or I'm gonna swim down and tear them a new hole 😠😠😠😠