Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   First post/ Islander 1.5 day review (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=25588)

JayB619 05-20-2015 10:24 PM

First post/ Islander 1.5 day review

Hello all! I'm Jay Barcia, 30 sd local who is still pretty new to kayak fishing, last october. I started with a 10' lifetime kayak from big 5 for 300 as I was un-sure if kayak fishing was for me. Well got hooked and sold it for what I paid and picked up a malibu stealth 12 demo from Oex. I've been trolling the Site for the last couple months and figured it's time to sign up already. I met some nice people and put faces to the screen names at the HOW fund raiser last month. It was a great event and I look forward to helping out at the next one at tide lands park next month. I also did my first (of many) mother ship trips on the Islander last weekend. Great captain, crew, food and they run the loading /un-loading of the kayaks super fast and orderly, very top notch! Lots of big mean calico bass hitting the 5" big hammer calico killer color on war bait 1/2 jig heads(orange, red, skirted) got a couple hard fighting bonito on the plastic and light tackle. The topper was landing my first yellowtail on my kayak off a fly lined sardine, the stoke is real! Look forward to meeting more of you out on the water. I'm in a mango stealth 12 say what's up I usually have a spare craft beer, water, and some good greens to share.

easyday 05-20-2015 11:07 PM

Welcome to the addiction, I'm assuming you already have the YT fever and it will only get better from here. I'll see ya on the water. Tight lines:reeling:

Fishin' Magician 05-21-2015 05:26 AM

I was also on the Islander trip last weekend so I probably saw you out there. I was one of the 'old guys' and was out in my Malibu Stealth 12. Great kayak for that kind of a trip, very stable.

I also caught my first yellowtail on the kayak and now I'm hooked! What a rush to catch one and get towed around while fighting it!

Welcome to BWE!

Goose1993 05-22-2015 09:07 PM

Did you have the Lifetime Tamarack? Thats the one I use. I got it last year for the same price. It's basic, but deffinetly gets the job done.

JayB619 05-23-2015 02:46 PM

Yeah it was nice meeting you on the Islander Fishin' magician, I remember you telling me about your first yellowtail on the yak, good times. Yeah the lifetime Tamarack did just fine in the bays but once I got more into kayak fishing I maxed the weight compasity and storage wasn't enough. Have you had yours out through the surf or ocean at all?

Goose1993 05-23-2015 06:43 PM

Yaa I've fished yellowtail in La Jolla out of it. I was probably about 3-4 miles offshore. I didn't catch any YT though because I didn't have a fish finder on it and couldn't really find a good place to fish. It handled fine though. I got my boat back so I fish yellowtail in la jolla with that now.

I actually just took a trip to the central coast for lingcod and used the yak there. Again, it did great. (I'll post a picture thread tomorrow or the next day). I love that yak.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a 12ft+ angling kayak or a hobbie with more storage space that is all around bigger, but when you're on a buget, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's not like it effects the way you fish, unless of course you're fishing yellowtail without a fishfinder. On my central coast trip, I limited on lings before everyone else out there.