Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Bottom Fishing: Holiday Double 2016 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=30462)

surfisher 01-12-2017 08:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Very informative! I also like medium chirp mode and low chirp mode when fishing deeper. Although these are a bit shallower, medium chirp is awesome and reads great. These were from a week ago during a nice weather window.
Attachment 20787
Attachment 20788
Attachment 20789

Deamon 01-13-2017 04:21 AM

Sweetness right there. :luxhello:

kirkdavis 01-13-2017 05:05 AM

Great tutorial

I am a retired Navy SonarTech, so I get it, but it is great to see the differences that you pointed out.
As a rule with sonar, the lower the frequency goes, the further the sound will travel. The higher the frequency, the greater the resolution. Sound in the audible range is used to find big object like submarines miles away, but a very high frequency is used to see the precious baby in a mother's womb.

Even with that knowledge, I have been too lazy or preoccupied trying to catch fish to figure out how to make changes like that on my Lawrence. Dropping to a lower freq will extend the range, but it is still a high enough freq to get pretty good detail.

Thanks!

chris138 01-13-2017 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkdavis (Post 273926)
I am a retired Navy SonarTech, so I get it, but it is great to see the differences that you pointed out.
As a rule with sonar, the lower the frequency goes, the further the sound will travel. The higher the frequency, the greater the resolution. Sound in the audible range is used to find big object like submarines miles away, but a very high frequency is used to see the precious baby in a mother's womb.

Even with that knowledge, I have been too lazy or preoccupied trying to catch fish to figure out how to make changes like that on my Lawrence. Dropping to a lower freq will extend the range, but it is still a high enough freq to get pretty good detail.

Thanks!

Ya you're totally right... the downscan frequencies (455/800) give even greater detail. But they can see such small objects that the scattering layer can be too much for them too look through. On 83 (or med chirp) small objects will kinda all lump together as big clouds, where as on 200 or hi chirp
you might see individual sardines. If you can run dual frequency there are a lot of advantages and further inferences you can make... but that will have to wait for the intermediate lesson.

Another thing to remember is the scale of column. When fishing in deep water say over 150', the returns look so much smaller due to the scale of the fish in relation to the depth of the water. A school of yt in 200' looks almost identical to a wad of greenback in 65'.

If you're preoccupied with catching fish... tuning your sonar is how its done.

jorluivil 01-13-2017 07:49 AM

I just drop my bait down and fall asleep

kayakfisherman 01-13-2017 08:01 AM

Unlike George, I'm wide awake!!

Very cool Chris, I learned a ton!!! Thanks! Can't wait for more.

I've got an Elite 7 hdi that I'm replacing (since it doesn't seem to like
all the salt water I've exposed it to). I'm wondering if the touch screens end up with salt water deposits on the screen? Making for constant screen wiping.

Thanks ahead of time. Yanni

kirkdavis 01-13-2017 08:17 AM

you are correct Chris

i have been "trying" to catch fish instead of learning to catch fish. BWE is helping me to overcome that. When I caught a BSB a few months ago, i was using a mackerel bigger than I had ever used before, and it worked! I almost didn't use it because I thought it was too big, but I dropped it down to soak while I fished another pole with plastic. "Big bait = big fish". I am now a believer.

TheBentRod 01-13-2017 08:36 AM

This is what it is about

Great post. Sharing your knowledge and techniques is the way to be a team member of the kayak community.

Thanks.

chris138 01-13-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayakfisherman (Post 273929)
Unlike George, I'm wide awake!!

Very cool Chris, I learned a ton!!! Thanks! Can't wait for more.

I've got an Elite 7 hdi that I'm replacing (since it doesn't seem to like
all the salt water I've exposed it to). I'm wondering if the touch screens end up with salt water deposits on the screen? Making for constant screen wiping.

Thanks ahead of time. Yanni

Yes, for sure you get salt deposits on the screen. I had a windy day in gonzaga and the screen was totally covered in salt. That said, i could easily see the GPS through the residue, and the touch screen worked fine. Mine has been covered in guts and mackerel slime and touch works fine. It really seems like they nailed the enclosure on the Ti.

However, its pretty heavy. I found that I needed a 1.5" RAM ball to hold it securely.

chris138 01-13-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkdavis (Post 273930)
i have been "trying" to catch fish instead of learning to catch fish. BWE is helping me to overcome that. When I caught a BSB a few months ago, i was using a mackerel bigger than I had ever used before, and it worked! I almost didn't use it because I thought it was too big, but I dropped it down to soak while I fished another pole with plastic. "Big bait = big fish". I am now a believer.

YT also will take very large baits... and usually prefer them. I'm sure many will attest to that hahaha

5-20 01-13-2017 09:50 AM

Nice! Ended up watching some of your other YT vids. Cool stuff.

Mr. NiceGuy 01-13-2017 10:11 AM

Excellent thread Chris. Thanks!

I use my FF all the time. Still can't figure out what I'm looking at :p

chris138 01-13-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy (Post 273938)
Excellent thread Chris. Thanks!

I use my FF all the time. Still can't figure out what I'm looking at :p

Post up some screenshots, lets see what you got going on.

That goes for whoever, post up your sonar pics and I or some other knowledgeable individual will help you out!

chris138 01-13-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 273928)
I just drop my bait down and fall asleep

Probably better that way... Then you don't have to watch the 10 fish that sniff out your bait before you get one biter.

steveooo 01-13-2017 11:46 AM

Nice write up, tutorial, and sweet fish to go along with it!

Love winter time fishin'!

:luxhello:

jorluivil 01-13-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris138 (Post 273941)
Probably better that way... Then you don't have to watch the 10 fish that sniff out your bait before you get one biter.

I hate when that happens.

You see the mark on your sonar and just as you're ready to see your rod go bendo the fish is gone.

FullFlavorPike 01-13-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 273954)
I hate when that happens.

You see the mark on your sonar and just as you're ready to see your rod go bendo the fish is gone.

Or you watch your dropper fall right on their heads and they don't hit it . . . you can actually see that happen to the kook in the floppy hat :doh:

sanomick 01-13-2017 05:13 PM

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Harry Hill 01-13-2017 06:30 PM

I sure need to learn a lot more about my FF. I have the Garmin SV7 and I don't understand anything I'm seeing on the bottom. I did finally understand I was seeing bait last week, there was a lot of bait around.

FISH11 01-13-2017 08:48 PM

However, its pretty heavy. I found that I needed a 1.5" RAM ball to hold it securely.[/QUOTE]

Hi Chris, I have the same problem with the 7TI. When I had the 5TI the 1" ram mount was fine, but now with the 7TI a hard bump or a wave over the bow on launches and the Fish Finder tilts towards me, no matter how hard I tighten the mount handle. Did you just switch out the ball on the deck to a 1 1/2" and leave the 1" on the Fish Finder head end. I love your screen shots. Super detail, it always annoys me when I see those same screen shots and have the bait right in the middle of it and there are no takers. It is so easy to tell that those are large fish and likely yellow tail but just don't go for the nice mac on your line. I guess I got a little spoiled by the bite the past couple of years, all you had to do was troll a mac in the area of the bait clouds and WHAM!. Thanks for sharing. Mark