Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Aces Up My Sleeve (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=12383)

The Kid 01-17-2012 07:21 PM

Aces Up My Sleeve

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/p...&pictureid=848

Ahhh! Is it the beginning of a new year already? It honestly feels that way when it is this cold at night. It makes me want to stay under the covers and look forward to summer that much more. When it is decided to get up and bear the cold, a lot of late winter days are spent with blue water staring right back at you. Though from time to time, the heavens decide to part and grace kayak anglers a taste of what the afterlife just might be like. Even in January!

Well Saturday, heaven came within a bit of a closer reach when a couple of yellow eyed angels sang sweet drag ripin’ melodies to me. To all those who have gotten to experience such harmonious music you understand that there is nothing locally that sounds as rad. No matter how many times I hear it, that sound never gets old.

On most days unaccompanied and in the pursuit of yellows, I leave the sabiki high and dry. Saturday was one of those days. Call me crazy! That’s fine, I call myself an “Iron Nut”. I get the greatest satisfaction when one of my artificial lookalikes gets the paint worn off of it. These two wanted to bend my jig in half when they struck, so I gladly rewarded them with a hook stuck in their jaw. Sorry no hard feelings ladies. :sifone:

Even after Monday’s awesome beat down by the weather, I still assume many brethren will brave the harshness of SoCal (sarcasm, btw it’s 6 degrees in Michigan). The wind was unbearable, with swells that were peaking at 6 ft. Unfortunately the fish became demons today with such hellish weather. Nonetheless, there will be some better days.

So here comes the inevitable, conclusive rant that everyone should be aware of by now. After the craziness of last year, and moving into this year it seems hard to believe that anglers have any breathing room at all. It was hard enough to see California limit our access, but now access to inshore fishing Mexico requires Visas. I mean maybe I won’t be able to take a piss of my yak unless I have some kind of special permit. Who knows anymore? The bottom line is that for all of us who call fishing a sport, the restrictions will probably only get worse throughout the rest of our lives. Keep catching fish while we can!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/p...&pictureid=849

kobra 01-17-2012 07:32 PM

Awesome pair of jacks Kev! Thanks for the cool read.

dwntwnall4u 01-17-2012 07:36 PM

Thanks for the report Kevin, as usual catching very nice quality fish.

bellcon 01-17-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Great job!!! January yellows are not commonplace :cheers1:
:D
Seriously...great job Kevin!:yt::yt:

deepdvr 01-17-2012 07:47 PM

:aetsch:

HA! Quoting me out of another thread. I still stand behind the fact that it isn't commonplace.

yakrider 01-17-2012 08:00 PM

I wish I was...the kid...again...
something like that!
nicely done!
we dont need no stinking bait!
live and die by the iron! Love that!

lowprofile 01-17-2012 08:20 PM

wow. way to go on the yellows. hopefully the bite starts early this year.

Aaron&Julie 01-17-2012 08:52 PM

Nice haul of quality yellows. Thanks for a timely report. What iron and colors work well for you out there?

Devildawgjj 01-17-2012 09:10 PM

Sweet duo!! :jig:What depth were they at?

ashmoz 01-17-2012 09:44 PM

Sweeeeeeet!

Those dumbbells look freakin' sweet! congrads dude...

cheers:cheers1:

MrPukaShell 01-18-2012 04:46 AM

Very nice. Thanks for taking the time to share

blitzburgh 01-18-2012 05:34 AM

YOU DA' MAN!:luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

dmrides 01-18-2012 06:04 AM

Bait? We don't need no stinking bait. Nothing better than jacks on the :jig: And in January no less! Looks like you had to get a bigger boat to be able to haul your quarry.

Thanks for the report and great story.

bus kid 01-18-2012 06:11 AM

Wait a minute, isnt Kevin like only 4 feet tall? :D
Nice Yellers, did you get any footage of the strikes?

steveooo 01-18-2012 06:47 AM

Aces? Those look like Jacks :cool:

Either way, congrats on a nice day. Nice upgrade on the skiff since the last time I saw you OTW too :cheers1:

j mo 01-18-2012 06:56 AM

SOLID! I agree there is something amazing about making a fish eat a hunk of metal.

dos ballenas 01-18-2012 07:59 AM

What no video?!?

Nice fishies... you make it look like "child's play" :jig:

Chuck D 01-18-2012 09:06 AM

Nice Twins Kev! Sounds like I need to dust off the Iron from a long winter break.

yani 01-18-2012 10:36 AM

Wow Kevin, nice job. makes my mouth water.

Hey, is that a new pro angler????

lterrero 01-18-2012 11:08 AM

The Kid did it!