Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Dana Pt, 9-30-16 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=30063)

Amish Ed 09-30-2016 04:44 PM

Dana Pt, 9-30-16

Landwhale and I launched from Baby Beach at 6:30am. It was cool with no clouds and a light offshore breeze. Water was 68º and out on the Pipe it was pretty clear, but there was a weird scum on the surface in various places. It was whitish and went down about a foot.

We stopped at the end of the jetty for a few casts, but all there was were macs and lots of loose weeds on the bottom. So, we didn't linger there. We got out to the Pipe and the offshores kicked up a bit more, but it wasn't too bad. I could just reach bottom with 1/2oz warbait. Tried my favorite jig for a while, but didn't get bit. Switched over to a 1/2oz War Blade in Sexy Dine and got bit right away. I was missing a lot of fish to short bites, but I did manage to pick away at the calicoes and by the end of the day I had 9, with 4 of them legal. Best was about 3lbs. All fish were on the War Blade except for one. It was caught on a Silver Warbait head with a 5" Bad Shad Paddlerz.

Onshore wind kicked up pretty good about 9:00 and we headed back at 10:15. Of course we had to paddle against the tide and wind on the way in and it really kicked up in the channel. Fun stuff. Reminded Steve of Cabrillo.

As always, I had a great time with Steve and look forward to our next outing.

Tandem Assassin 09-30-2016 05:11 PM

Yellowfin 5 miles off Laguna today...

octico 09-30-2016 05:11 PM

Nice report Ed. Nice to see you and Steve out there.

Amish Ed 09-30-2016 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tandem Assassin (Post 269898)
Yellowfin 5 miles off Laguna today...

YT supposedly 3 miles out of Dana PT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by octico (Post 269899)
Nice report Ed. Nice to see you and Steve out there.

Thanks John. It's so good to have my partner healthy and back on the water.

Harry Hill 09-30-2016 07:00 PM

Ed, looks like you guys had a good time out there. I think my back is finally back where I can paddle but I won't be able to find out for at least a week. I guessing after the 9th I will get out again. Say hi to landwhale, good to see he's out fishing.

Amish Ed 10-01-2016 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 269907)
Ed, looks like you guys had a good time out there. I think my back is finally back where I can paddle but I won't be able to find out for at least a week. I guessing after the 9th I will get out again. Say hi to landwhale, good to see he's out fishing.

Yes, we did have a good time. Let me know when you're healed up and we'll head out.

Harry Hill 10-01-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amish Ed (Post 269914)
Yes, we did have a good time. Let me know when you're healed up and we'll head out.

Ed, next week is out but I should be good for the week after

Amish Ed 10-01-2016 01:35 PM

Sounds good, Harry.

alanw 10-01-2016 08:03 PM

Was out today and that scum was patchy all over nearshore. Glad the wind didn't get too bad on you, that channel can get tough some days.

Amish Ed 10-01-2016 08:15 PM

That scum is weird. My calves (which were in the water a lot) had a crusty layer on them after I dried out. I wonder what it is?

alanw 10-01-2016 08:34 PM

I don't know Ed, but it was turning into hard lumps on my line, and it's all over my mirage drive, and it was plugging up my bait pump. Today was the first time I had a few Macs die in my tank when the flow rate dropped. Just hearsay but so.e dude at the launch said the scum was from here to Catalina.

XLbass 10-09-2016 03:49 PM

Hey guys,
New to the board and live near Dana. Question for ya...
How is the fishing for spotties and calicos from now through winter?
Also, how is the fishing in Dana Point Harbor? I heard Newport Harbor is good, but haven't heard anything about Dana. Any info would be appreciated.
thx!

alanw 10-10-2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XLbass (Post 270331)
Hey guys,
New to the board and live near Dana. Question for ya...
How is the fishing for spotties and calicos from now through winter?
Also, how is the fishing in Dana Point Harbor? I heard Newport Harbor is good, but haven't heard anything about Dana. Any info would be appreciated.
thx!

Welcome. The bass are here year round but I always have to work harder for them in the winter. The main thing to know is that you can't catch any from your couch ;)

XLbass 10-10-2016 07:18 PM

Thank you... (as I sit on my couch) haha! Just got a "new to me" Pro Angler and need to get some salt water on it. I hope to see you guys out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amish Ed 10-10-2016 10:02 PM

Yep bass and butts are year round. Just gotta go a little deeper in the winter for the bass and slow down too. Definitely harder to catch them, but they're there.