Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dialing in your sounder (FF)? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=13848)

SoCalCJ 06-01-2012 11:32 AM

Dialing in your sounder (FF)?

Just picked up a used Lowrance Elite-5 on CL. Spent the last day reading the manual and trying to figure out all the bells and whistles! My question is what are the proper settings I need to worry most about (ping speed, advance rate, A-scope, white marker, etc.....)? How do you guys configure your electronics to maximize their capabilities? All info is greatly appreciated!

Drake 06-01-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCJ (Post 120539)
Just picked up a used Lowrance Elite-5 on CL. Spent the last day reading the manual and trying to figure out all the bells and whistles! My question is what are the proper settings I need to worry most about (ping speed, advance rate, A-scope, white marker, etc.....)? How do you guys configure your electronics to maximize their capabilities? All info is greatly appreciated!

I put everything on auto pretty much, except I turn the sensitivity up just under max. I can see bait balls, fish arches and every leaf on every kelp stalk perfect. Hasn't let me down once.

mtnbykr2 06-01-2012 11:39 AM

You will want to set the meter to saltwater, I believe that one has it it the menu and set to shallow water unless you are in over 100 ft ping speed I set a little over medium, the Lowrance is a good unit, but like everything else you will want to play with it until you are satisfied with the performance, and learning curve is complete...

Rotten Chum 06-01-2012 11:57 AM

CJ, why did you chose the Lowrance Elite-5? I am looking at some many diffrent ones my head is spinning. Any info whould help?

SoCalCJ 06-01-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotten Chum (Post 120544)
CJ, why did you chose the Lowrance Elite-5? I am looking at some many diffrent ones my head is spinning. Any info whould help?

I read a lot of reviews and went into West Marine to play around with a variety of units. I chose the Elite-5 because I wanted a 5" screen that was strictly a basic FF & GPS unit. I didn't need a unit with radar screens, DSI, SIRUS, nuclear launch codes, etc....

Rotten Chum 06-01-2012 12:52 PM

Serious...No SIRUS? No Nuc Launch Codes...So what you're saying is its the basic model :). Went onto the Lowrance web site Good looking model. Think I will have to go look at it.. Thanks for the feed back

T-Rex 06-01-2012 12:53 PM

Spend 15 minutes with Darkhorse getting it dialed in. The Lowrance seminar at Fred Hall was good, but I learned more useful tips in a few minutes with Josh than I did in the seminar. I now have no problems finding the smaller patches of squid in deep water.