Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Homecoming ... and living up to my namesake (9/6/11) (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=11353)

Hamachijohn 09-11-2011 10:36 PM

Homecoming ... and living up to my namesake (9/6/11)

1 Attachment(s)
Other than taking the kids to Legoland and Seaworld, I haven't been back to the San Diego area since college some 19 years ago. Sure wish I had taken up yakfishing back then. So after spending Labor day weekend with family in Mexico, I dropped off the wife and kid @ SD airport and wished them a happy flight back to San Francisco.

I checked into a hotel and dreamed of yellowtail. My handle on Norcalkayakanglers is Hamachijohn. I love to eat it - and while I love fishing norcal for lings, cabezon, halibut, salmon and sturgeon (OK, I actually don't enjoy fishing for sturgeon) - yakfishing for YT so far had been only a dream. Damn it, if my handle is "Hamachijohn", by golly I sure was determined to catch me one. Back to dreaming of YT... zzz.

I arrive @ the hallowed grounds and take in the scenery as I sip my coffee. I talk to a few locals getting ready to launch- very friendly folks. Maybe they saw me in my 3mm farmer john wetsuit, and decided to show some kindness to a tourist who didn’t have a chance. I have come to the end of the pilgrimage, with the only remaining task at hand- catching a YT. I unload my Adventure and realize that I left my paddle @ home 500 miles away. I went thru my checklist 4 times for this epic journey, and I still forget gear ?? But nothing was going to ruin this dream trip to Yellowtail-Land. I was determined to stay until I had caught one, and didn’t want to leave room for any excuses for not catching any, so I arranged for guide service from “The Kid”. How can you go wrong with a name like that?

Symphonies have pre-concert talks by the composer, and I got one right on the beach. I tried to remember everything being said and soak up any and all YT wisdom. It was early enough that there weren't bikini-clad folks to be distracted by.

Got on the water and had a blast, fishing with a grin on my face the whole day. I was living the dream, yakfishing for YT in La Jolla. I learned a lot from Kevin while on the water, and he was a professional the way he went about things. Now I want the season pass to YT-land. Thanks again to The Kid, and hope to be back in October, now that I’ve got yellow fever.

bellcon 09-12-2011 05:31 AM

Awesome John
glad it all came together for you!

:yt::cheers1:

Handymansd 09-12-2011 07:08 AM

Awesome job John, and Congrats on a Beautiful fish! Kevin works even better than a paddle when it comes to fishing!

Ed 09-12-2011 07:28 AM

Congrats John. Sweet Yellow

DanaPT 09-12-2011 07:30 AM

Love those ringing endorsements. . .

That's a nice fish.

:jig:

Dan 09-12-2011 09:52 AM

Living the dream, indeed. Congrats!

Limits 09-13-2011 06:46 AM

Congrats on living up to your name. :cheers1:

deepdvr 09-13-2011 07:10 AM

Very impressive for a first :yt:

:cheers1:

yakrider 09-13-2011 11:19 AM

very cool story!
thanks for sharing...

lamb 09-13-2011 01:39 PM

Nice fish! :cheers1:

Hamachijohn 09-13-2011 03:24 PM

thx everyone for your kind words. Now that I'm back in SF, I'm still dreaming YT.
I remember it like it was yeterday. The Kid sights some YT that I can't see for the life of me, and the next thing we're both rocked by yellowtail. Hope to revisit in October.

Jonathan