Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Surfrider Foundation (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=11823)

bellcon 11-01-2011 02:14 PM

Surfrider Foundation

Surfrider is again proving they are not our friends:

Quote:

To help improve our ocean’s health and preserve coastal
resources for future generations, the State is creating
Marine Protected Area (MPAs) similar to “underwater
parks.” Join Surfrider Foundation and Reef Check California
as we explore newly established MPAs throughout southern
California. We’ll look at maps, videos, photos and discuss
regulations.

Anyone feel up to making a meeting?
Check it out:

http://public.surfrider.org/MLPA/MLPAforum.pdf

lbsurf2ca 11-01-2011 03:46 PM

Yeah i got a community letter on that as well. Guess there will be a meeting in Encinitas about it. So bummed on Surfrider.

Tman 11-01-2011 03:49 PM

Don, you numbskull...it's smurfrider...

Clay and I will be at the Encinitas one again...

And if pasty-faced dude shows up makes another shit comment like he did last time, "if your 50 lb 9 year old can't paddle 3 miles out maybe he shouldn't be kayaking", I will encourage Clay to defend himself this time and have a word or two with that idiot.:the_finger:

I know that he is sick and tired of the complete lack of respect the kids and fishermen have received...

More than half of those kooks didn't even look like surfers...

ChefT 11-01-2011 04:39 PM

See ya there.....

Can I bring my jig stick?????

GregAndrew 11-01-2011 07:01 PM

Give away fish tacos. Then at the end of the night tell them that the fish came from either a) The new MPAs or b) the polluted waters they left us to fish in. They can decide for themselves.

blitzburgh 11-01-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregAndrew (Post 99414)
Give away fish tacos. Then at the end of the night tell them that the fish came from either a) The new MPAs or b) the polluted waters they left us to fish in. They can decide for themselves.

LMAO

RK 11-02-2011 07:49 AM

Don---those guys are crooks and jerkoffs (so your getting rich off of protecting the environment???) , the other hidden jerkoffs is an organization called Wildcoast, my whole youth I surfed there contests donated to there causes......... And there balls deep in this mess too

T Bone 11-02-2011 07:07 PM

I cant wait to fish in the new MPA's.It will weed out all the PB's and posurs...

Actually the surfrider foundation should have just shut the hell up on this one.

Tman 11-06-2011 07:04 PM

Funny, Clay had his basketball assessment at the same place Saturday...

Ya, think we will be there. Wonder if they know that by agreeing to shut down fishing in those spots, the smurfriders better be careful stepping on shells and sand dollars on the way out, since we all know they would be hurting sea life...:doh:

Amish Ed 11-07-2011 09:43 AM

Just had a conversation with a friend who works for Surfrider. He said they've gotten lots of angry comments. Supposedly the great Greg Noll hates them for it. They definitely should've stayed out of this mess.

Billy V 11-07-2011 10:29 AM

They have showed themselves for the D@uchebags they really are....

Amish Ed 11-07-2011 08:38 PM

Here's what Surfrider has to say about the MLPAs and why they support them... http://www.beachapedia.org/Marine_Life_Protection_Act

Tman 11-08-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amish Ed (Post 99832)
Here's what Surfrider has to say about the MLPAs and why they support them... http://www.beachapedia.org/Marine_Life_Protection_Act

I just spent some time reading through that, all I can say is read between the lines.

In my opinion, they sure seem like they are trying to go out of their way to pacify kayak fishermen with every paragraph by claiming that they are also fishermen and fisherwomen, that they are one of us, and how we will still be able to kayak, dive, surf these areas...but no extraction...

C'mon smurfrider, we saw these same type of tactics with the BRTF.

Make us think that you too enjoy fishing, kayaking, that you're on our side, and want a healthy fish population as well. Then say that the best way to go about it is to close the best areas, no take, and the resulting explosion of fish population will cause the fish to go to other areas that are open to us...really?

It doesn't matter if the areas they go to have no structure to support them (kelp, reef, prime habitat, etc.) they will still magically reproduce in huge numbers!

We'll all benefit in the long run!

It's simple, and the science has proved this!

Don't worry that the numbers are down because of the increase of human population and consumption, or the lack of enforcement, nay, not even the massive increase in the seals and sea lion population!

There's no need for reduced slot limits, commercial take, creation of artificial reefs, or better enforcement. All we need to do is close the most productive areas and the result will be an abundance of fish that will relocate to the areas we left open for you!

Like I said, read between the lines...

Billy V 11-08-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tman (Post 99838)
I just spent some time reading through that, all I can say is read between the lines.

In my opinion, they sure seem like they are trying to go out of their way to pacify kayak fishermen with every paragraph by claiming that they are also fishermen and fisherwomen, that they are one of us, and how we will still be able to kayak, dive, surf these areas...but no extraction...

HAAAhh - Kayak Fisherman my A$$ - Its all Kalifornia Fluff.

Talking, talking, talking, talking and more talking, its all bullsh^t.

-They are as much Kayak fishermen - as I am a Surfer - and I ain't No Surfer coming from the jungles of Jersey. Ba ha ha ha:D
-----------------------------------------

RK 11-08-2011 09:56 AM

Billy- Jersey gets really really good surf.