Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Anyone ever have a smell in their hull (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35981)

Hillbillymad 12-16-2020 12:33 PM

Anyone ever have a smell in their hull

If you’ve had this problem just curious how you get rid of it

summers in kuwait 12-16-2020 12:46 PM

That sounds like a personal problem.

An easy start to the problem is take it outside, open the hatches and drain plug(s) and hose it down. Washing out any nooks and areas were debris, guts, etc could get trapped. I've also used a soapy solution and brush as needed. But the hose with jet nozzle works well. Rinse well and let drain and dry. Then I have also used simple green as needed.

Preventive measure. I usually do a fresh water flush, after use and typically don't have issues, unless a little bit of guts are squid got trapped in the hull.

socal.beach.bum 12-16-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillbillymad (Post 312062)
If you’ve had this problem just curious how you get rid of it

Leave the hatches open during storage to air it out. Any moister will create some kind of a smell over time.

ProfessorLongArms 12-16-2020 07:27 PM

Don't crap in your kayak. Problem solved :p

In seriousness, every 3-5 trips, I'll stop at the coin wash and pressure wash the whole rig, open up the hatches and spray with a bit of soap, then a bunch of water... Sometimes I'll just take it home and tilt it with the drain plugs down hill and run a bit of water through.... Once it's drained I'll put a big towel where the water pools and leave it for a day with the hatches open.

dapHBCM 12-17-2020 10:31 AM

Mine had a smell to it for sure when I purchased it.

Opened up all the hatches, rinsed it thoroughly, then flipped and tipped it to drain as much out as I could. I didnt want to leave it sitting out in the sun to dry so I stuck it in the garage and rigged up a shop-vac to blow into it (with all the hatches and plugged open). Moved it around a couple times to make sure it got all areas well.

No more smell.

Saba Slayer 12-17-2020 12:09 PM

Smell

You didn’t buy that Revo from Jorge did you...
I’ll bet I know what the smell is...LOL...:rolleyes:

skrilla 12-17-2020 01:09 PM

I freshwater rinse and drain the bilge after each use. Every few trips or every outing when I store fish inside I'll add soap or bleach to the wash. Deck gets a scrubbing every trip.

jruiz 12-17-2020 05:13 PM

Lighting a match or one of those scented candles you're bound to receive as a Christmas present.

igotpron 12-17-2020 05:50 PM

I drain or soak up whatever waters inside. Then run a small box fan forcing air out all of the hatches to keep the inside dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonG 12-18-2020 07:15 AM

Just rinse periodically with fresh water, and always store with hatches open.

Hillbillymad 12-18-2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saba Slayer (Post 312092)
You didn’t buy that Revo from Jorge did you...
I’ll bet I know what the smell is...LOL...:rolleyes:

What’s it from ?

hiramehunter 12-18-2020 12:46 PM

Same here, rinse the inside if water got in (not just a little water but enough to see a puddle), then let it air dry with the hatches open after every use.
I also add some bleach if necessary. Fill up with some water/bleach mixture, slosh it around, drain it, and let dry with open hatch, remove excess water with sponge or towel.

deptrai 12-18-2020 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pressure wash mine after each outing. Hang upside down with front hatch and rectangular hatch open.

jruiz 12-19-2020 08:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillbillymad (Post 312127)
What’s it from ?

Still haven't gotten the hint?

Hillbillymad 12-19-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jruiz (Post 312139)
Still haven't gotten the hint?

What’d he leave something dead in there or sum

YakDout 12-19-2020 02:47 PM

Rinse with water then google a product called sink the stink. The best deodorizer I’ve ever used. Originally it was used to deodorize wetsuits but had translated to many applications. Kayak, carpet, etc. love the stuff for inside the hulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJones 12-19-2020 02:48 PM

if you made the mistake

of storing your yellowtail in the hull only to find out he crapped his shorts while rigor mortis set in, then for sure you will need to use a solution of water and bleach. be mindful of the rudder lines, if it is a Hobie. if your dilution is not overly powerful, you will be fine, even if the lines get wet. flood the whole yak with this concoction. it will remove even the worst of smells. if done with mild soap and water and given enough time, it will dissipate also.

DanaPT 12-19-2020 09:10 PM

Lobsters stink em up too.

I like the smell.

JohnMckroidJr 12-20-2020 07:17 AM

It's the smell of victory!:yt::wsb: LOL

FullFlavorPike 12-21-2020 07:35 PM

quit sniffing around inside your hull -- problem solved