Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   LJ Scouting 12-19 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=8963)

chris138 12-20-2010 09:35 AM

LJ Scouting 12-19

While all normal sane people were on the couch watching football with a snuggie and a cup of hot cocco, myself and a couple other brave souls launched into 20-30 kt SE winds to see what is going on in the cove right now. With the direction of the gale, it was actually fishable near the kelp. I have had a special connection with the squid lately; they sense my power and seek the life essence. :D But I could not make one single squirt yesterday for the first time in months, i think they are super deep. There were eggs though. After trying every trick in my book, I went and holed up in the kelp and dropper'd some fresh frozen for a couple calicos and my PB blacksmith perch, a donkey 1.5#er. Got one solid strike in the kelp that didn't stick (elusive jaguar shark). Water did look a little cleaner by the reserve than it has been. Made about 1 kt coming headlong into the stormy offshores.

On a side note, did you know that a hobie livewell will drop right into an x-factor with virtually no modification? Amazing the blasphemous discoveries you can make on a day where you know you're gonna get skunked. And I'm pretty sure it was a narwhal that flipped that guy...

-Blevins

old_rookie 12-20-2010 09:38 AM

I can't believe someone went out on a kayak to LJ yesterday. I thought I was crazy for fishing the beach at TP yesterday - that wind was brutal. And the surf was insane too.

j mo 12-20-2010 10:48 AM

I wanted to get out there too, to see how the yellow tail migratory patterns hold. This time last year I had a fridge full. It was wide open just before a big front the week of Dec 14th. Uncanny

I guess ill have to wait till next year to find out...

PS loved that movie!

dorado50 12-20-2010 01:38 PM

and on a full moon no less.........

chris138 12-20-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j mo (Post 71393)
I wanted to get out there too, to see how the yellow tail migratory patterns hold. This time last year I had a fridge full. It was wide open just before a big front the week of Dec 14th. Uncanny

I guess ill have to wait till next year to find out...

PS loved that movie!

"Are you aware, Mandrake, that flouridation is a monstrously conceived Soviet plot to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids? I do not avoid women, Mandrake... However I do deny them my essence."

I'm glad you caught that Kubrick reference. Yep, the yellowtail migration may be behind schedule. Or they're just too stuffed with squid... I also fished w/ fin bait to no avail.

Old_Rookie- the cove actually wasn't that gnarly. There was enough south in it (the wind) that there wasn't enough fetch to get the whitecaps going. Like J mo said, there is historical data which point to yellows in mid December. Sorry I don't have more to report. Looks like a break in the storm coming... good luck, see you guys out there!
:cheers1:

Jzo 12-21-2010 06:28 AM

Thx for the report.