Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   6/7 LJ (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29279)

Geno Machino 06-07-2016 06:05 PM

6/7 LJ

Slow slow slow - has been my main theme for the past 9 trips now including today. Caught a couple 60-75 pound bft last week outside, however my kayak results have been zero since Jan 1. Lots of red crab, bait was up really early then disappeared. Water was slightly green, calm and around 60-63 degeees on my meter. Ankle slappers both in and out...got my exercise, and fortunate to have pulled out some bf from the freezer for eats when I got home. O well there's always next time, which wil come again next week.
Tight lines,
Geno

PS. Great meeting you today Yanni!

fishja 06-07-2016 07:40 PM

Time for a boat ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phishphood 06-07-2016 08:25 PM

Thanks for the report Geno. Headed out on Friday morning, guess I'll make it super early to make bait.

Geno Machino 06-07-2016 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phishphood (Post 262855)
Thanks for the report Geno. Headed out on Friday morning, guess I'll make it super early to make bait.

Go get'em!

MITCHELL 06-07-2016 08:59 PM

Thanks for the report

Heading out in the morning to LJ 6/8

maquinapescado 06-07-2016 09:48 PM

I started at 3am. I would get big balls of squid under my kayak and you could tell they wanted to float but all the red crab would swarm my light and spook the squid. I couldn't find the nest. I got a few pieces but couldn't find a fish to feed them to. Tried to make some macs and they were no where around. I even pulled out my secret weapon and couldn't drum any up.

On another note, when I was paddling out, a few seconds after I started to pedal in about chest deep water I saw a big ass shark. I had my headlamp on and looked over and it looked up at me. It was awesome. Couldn't identify it, but it was a solid 7-8 feet tip to tip judging it being 2 feet from my PA14. ts eye looked like a soupfin. There was also a ton of tootsie roll size squid in the surf.

kayakfisherman 06-08-2016 07:47 AM

Nice meeting you too Geno!!

What a slow day. More red crabs than I have ever seen--all the way to the NW corner where they were the thickest.

Even the rockfish had indigestion and weren't interested in eating!

2-Stix 06-08-2016 08:04 AM

The rojo crabs are all up in the Ventura, Channel Islands area also.

Again thanks for the numbers on fish to trips.
Reading fish reports sometimes looks like you can walk on fish at LJ.
I am 0 for 6 as I stated before and I drive 7 hours round trip for that.
Reading the "first time on a kayak and to LJ and I got this beauty" is just plain brutal to read.
And I HAVE put my time in.

Iceman 06-08-2016 01:53 PM

Might be a seven gill Brian, saw a good sized one posted on FB from a diver at LJ

dillpick 06-08-2016 02:09 PM

I would say seven gill also.

pingpangdang 06-08-2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2-Stix (Post 262871)
The rojo crabs are all up in the Ventura, Channel Islands area also.

Again thanks for the numbers on fish to trips.
Reading fish reports sometimes looks like you can walk on fish at LJ.
I am 0 for 6 as I stated before and I drive 7 hours round trip for that.
Reading the "first time on a kayak and to LJ and I got this beauty" is just plain brutal to read.
And I HAVE put my time in.

Today report of one tail on dropper from a boater who blind anchored blind dropped....his first tail. Fought it like a large mouth bass rod tip pointed to the sky. This was further south sw corner-streets.

Toughest day making bait. Many folks couldn't make bait until nw...spanish. some didn't make bait until south of sw.

A lot of kelp further south...50 yards of surface kelp. Had no problems catching spanish there...every drop inbetween holes in the kelp.

Tons of red crab transiting south.

None of the kayaks south landed before noon. Some trolled rapalas because of the lack of bait north.

Trolled a sabiki from nw to sw not one green back.

Flylined for skunk do to the long paddle...

Maybe I need to just commit and blind drop a dropper and cross my fingers some tails will pass by.

Besides no greenbacks I had no good marks.

Bd report of one on surface iron...no hits on fly line.

Will try again with a different gameplan.

Sounds like many of us have been getting skunked

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

2-Stix 06-09-2016 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingpangdang (Post 262940)
Today report of one tail on dropper from a boater who blind anchored blind dropped....his first tail. Fought it like a large mouth bass rod tip pointed to the sky. This was further south sw corner-streets.

Toughest day making bait. Many folks couldn't make bait until nw...spanish. some didn't make bait until south of sw.

A lot of kelp further south...50 yards of surface kelp. Had no problems catching spanish there...every drop inbetween holes in the kelp.

Tons of red crab transiting south.

None of the kayaks south landed before noon. Some trolled rapalas because of the lack of bait north.

Trolled a sabiki from nw to sw not one green back.

Flylined for skunk do to the long paddle...

Maybe I need to just commit and blind drop a dropper and cross my fingers some tails will pass by.

Besides no greenbacks I had no good marks.

Bd report of one on surface iron...no hits on fly line.

Will try again with a different gameplan.

Sounds like many of us have been getting skunked

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

hahahaha....and there you have it.