Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Loading PA14 in shortbed truck (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=36856)

Pagzzz 03-16-2022 12:20 PM

Loading PA14 in shortbed truck

Looking at getting into Kayak fishing for the first time, and have never owned a big kayak. How does everyone deal with a 14' kayak and a 5' short bed truck? I have a 2013 F150 supercrew with the short bed. I also have a collapseable Thule Rack that I used for carrying my 40lb outrigger canoe ... but I am guessing it is impractical to carry a 100lb+ kayak up on those racks without wrecking my back getting it down/up.

Curious to see what the best solution is for transport

FoodGeekFish 03-16-2022 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pagzzz (Post 316834)
Looking at getting into Kayak fishing for the first time, and have never owned a big kayak. How does everyone deal with a 14' kayak and a 5' short bed truck? I have a 2013 F150 supercrew with the short bed. I also have a collapseable Thule Rack that I used for carrying my 40lb outrigger canoe ... but I am guessing it is impractical to carry a 100lb+ kayak up on those racks without wrecking my back getting it down/up.

Curious to see what the best solution is for transport

Hitch extenders (Boonedox, Yakima, Rhino Rack) are a common solution if rack loading doesn't make sense.

Saba Slayer 03-16-2022 04:30 PM

Bed extender...

1 Attachment(s)
The extender works great on my Tacoma with a 6' bed...:cheers1:
I have a few friends and customers that have bought the 12' PA so that they don't have to use an extender...

Pagzzz 03-16-2022 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saba Slayer (Post 316839)
The extender works great on my Tacoma with a 6' bed...:cheers1:
I have a few friends and customers that have bought the 12' PA so that they don't have to use an extender...

I definitely need the PA14 since I am a BIG guy, but the extender looks like the trick. Just have to watch those tight turns I guess since it will swing wide, but I have towed 40' canoes, so probably OK.

LEEZO 03-16-2022 07:19 PM

the boondox groovy T-bone is game changer for my PA14. I disconnect it from the hitch and pop it inside my Tahoe when i head out to the water. if there is a way to cable lock or pad lock it to the hitch or truck bed i would recommend that to deter the methmaticians.

JohnMckroidJr 03-24-2022 05:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
3x for the T-bar. Mine is a cheap one off eBay fortified with a towel tie-strapped onto the base to cushion the kayak and PVC with reflective tape added to the goalposts for increased visibility.

tak100 03-24-2022 06:46 AM

I put PVC pipe over the bar the kayak rests on and I have been very happy with the results.

Much better the pool noodles that just couldn't handle the weight.

JohnMckroidJr 03-24-2022 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tak100 (Post 316902)
I put PVC pipe over the bar the kayak rests on and I have been very happy with the results.

Much better the pool noodles that just couldn't handle the weight.

I started out with the pool noodles, but like you mentioned they don't handle the weight and created more friction. The folded-up towel is just now starting to break down, but it has been there for several years and provides a soft cushion to push the kayak along.