Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   MPA Enforcement (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=12378)

WahooUSMA 01-16-2012 01:47 PM

MPA Enforcement

http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2012/0...rotected-area/

They should kick these F*#kers in the nuts and throw the key away first and foremost. :the_finger:

Secondly, so much for no funding for enforcement.

Seahunterr 01-16-2012 01:50 PM

I bet they get off with a moderate fine and no jail time.

PAL 01-16-2012 01:56 PM

Sheesh. This isn't a story about the new MPAs. This is about a pervasive poaching problem caused by a lack of enforcement. It went down in an area that's been closed for years. Let's see if the DA bothers to back the warden. All too often, poachers get off with a slap on the wrist.

It's an obvious attempt to play up the new MPAs. With no signs or buoys to mark the boundaries of the vast majority of the new closures, DFG is desperate to get the word out. The internet alone won't do it. And to answer your question, although DFG may have stepped up their presence in the new MPAs, they are spread thin enough that fishing continues, mistakenly or deliberately.

I wrote the above on Facebook in response to this non-story.

Mr. Adventure 01-16-2012 01:58 PM

I would gladly hit those assholes had I witnessed them returning

addicted2sp33d 01-16-2012 02:20 PM

"All but five were undersized". That little guy must be about the size of a crawdad.

Not a big fan of the MPAs, but I think I'm OK with this bust.

mbaha 01-16-2012 03:46 PM

Well the commercial guys are trapping the hell out of the southern most section of the new LJ cove MPA

Aaron&Julie 01-16-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d (Post 105042)
but I think I'm OK with this bust.

I should say so.
I sometimes can't believe the arrogance of poachers. When I worked for Qualcomm (QPE), later bought by Kyocera, I had a guy, who knew I fished, and he was proud to tell how he could take his boat over to North Island in San Diego bay, and get 50 lobsters in a night. Mind you, he was talking about any size, any time of the year.
I have a neighbor, not a friend, who's family might not even be legal. He knows I both fish and go after lobsters from my kayak. So, he tells me, as if to brag, or compare his results to mine, how he recently went to Sunset Cliffs with friends and got a bunch of lobsters on rod and reel. I'm sure if they're breaking one law, they don't give a crap about having the license or report card.
If I could have made a call to bust either of these poachers, I would have been glad to do so. But, it's all hearsay and after the fact.
I think to myself, just the people that have told me about taking illegal lobsters, have done 10 times more damage than all of the legal bugs Julie and I've ever taken the last few years. And the ones we kept, had a chance at procreation to sustain the species, while these poachers don't care about their size.
So, the environmentalist whackos, are going to worry about and keep a vigilante on otherwise honest fishermen crossing some ill-identified, completely corrupted, "non-fishing zone", while poachers get a slap on the wrist?
They should give out the maximum fine/penalty to poachers, but I've never heard of this happening.
And the whackos should be patrolling the locations where real crime is occurring.
Aaron

bus kid 01-17-2012 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WahooUSMA (Post 105037)
Secondly, so much for no funding for enforcement.

No kidding, that's a nice cat :eek:

note to self: stop flipping the bird to silver cat named thresher. :the_finger:

blitzburgh 01-17-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bus kid (Post 105080)
note to self: stop flipping the bird to silver cat named thresher. :the_finger:

LMAO!!!!!!!!