Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Anyone have a good batter option for the hobie livewell (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35973)

Hillbillymad 12-14-2020 07:00 PM

Anyone have a good batter option for the hobie livewell

The switch on the live well broke and it’s wired to go straight to the batter but I need new battery if anyone uses a certain 6v please let me know

SoCalEDC 12-14-2020 09:28 PM

Can your just put a new switch on it?

dorado123 12-15-2020 05:18 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Powersonic-PS...%2C202&sr=8-47

I use them , I think it last 5 yrs and I changed switch long times ago it's easy

https://www.amazon.com/MIDIYA-Heavy-...s%2C255&sr=8-3

Pull on off is better IMO

DanaPT 12-16-2020 06:36 AM

Switches go bad. I also direct wire the battery to the bait tank. I use wire twist caps to keep them on.

I'm using a standard 6v battery I picked up at my local hobie shop.

summers in kuwait 12-16-2020 08:42 AM

The hobie switches on the older design livewells stink.
Mine died after 3-4 months of heavy use. Replaced with new switch and died after another 3 months. Bypass the switch and go direct.
Simply place the battery in the pocket and secure during launch and then connect the battery once ready to make bait. Very easy.

Lots of cost-effective battery options online or locally. Just confirm the size, to ensure it fits. Also, you'll need to rewire depending on the current wiring setup if you go with a non-hobie battery. Not a big deal, but just an FYI.

Batmann 12-16-2020 06:17 PM

I removed my switch and coated it using liquid electrical tape then reinstalled. Seems to have held up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

LEEZO 12-16-2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summers in kuwait (Post 312060)
Mine died after 3-4 months of heavy use. Replaced with new switch and died after another 3 months. Bypass the switch and go direct.
Simply place the battery in the pocket and secure during launch and then connect the battery once ready to make bait. Very easy.

Lots of cost-effective battery options online or locally. Just confirm the size, to ensure it fits. Also, you'll need to rewire depending on the current wiring setup if you go with a non-hobie battery. Not a big deal, but just an FYI.

agree 100% had to bypass the rusted switch at the launch recently. needless to say no more buying switches. hardwire with twist on wire nuts from here on out.

JohnMckroidJr 12-17-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

I came to the same conclusion. Even the newer conductant switches break. When it failed again after replacement, switched to the bypass system as on my older livewell.

summers in kuwait 12-18-2020 09:22 AM

There are other switch options that can be used. For example on DIY bait tanks I've used waterproof toggle switches from West Marine and had good results. At the end of the day though, you want reliability and something you can count on. Nothing worse than launching or getting out there and the bait tank is dead.

:jig:
These never need batteries though:D

deptrai 12-18-2020 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillbillymad (Post 312034)
The switch on the live well broke and it’s wired to go straight to the batter but I need new battery if anyone uses a certain 6v please let me know

I'd like to buy a vowel please. Are there any "Y's"?

TJones 12-19-2020 04:19 AM

is it an older tank?

Quote:

run battery direct, bypass switch.

jorluivil 12-22-2020 06:24 AM

I've only had luck with one switch but it cost me $30, but like most switches it ended up failing. If cost is an issue do just like everyone else and bypass the switch, it's not hard to connect the battery to the pump when you're on the water, I've done it plenty of times.

Just remember to not connect the battery you start making bait and don't forget to disconnect it once you're done, you do not want to fully drain an SLA battery.

Denis_Ruso 12-24-2020 08:03 AM

Since this is kinda related, no issues with my switch but just killed my 2nd battery.

Can I just pull the wire/connection off the old one and solder it to a generic 6v?

Batmann 12-24-2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 312216)
Since this is kinda related, no issues with my switch but just killed my 2nd battery.

Can I just pull the wire/connection off the old one and solder it to a generic 6v?

Just curious if anyone has figured out a good option for a 6V lithium battery?

JohnMckroidJr 12-24-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batmann (Post 312218)
Just curious if anyone has figured out a good option for a 6V lithium battery?

Some of the kayakers in my area are using "blue bricks"(cheap generic lithium batteries) off eBay. They need to be housed in a watertight container that can readily be found at Walmart. Usually hard to find 6V, but some are using 8.4V while others are using a voltage regulator to drop the power. Batteries from China are cheap, often not the Ah or voltage they claim. With that in mind, sometimes a 12v one is just fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 312216)

yes, I have done that.