Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   When Animals Attack: Drama in real life. (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=15516)

Necron 99 10-11-2012 07:20 AM

When Animals Attack: Drama in real life.

I'm new to this game. I've been fishing out of LA Jolla lately. The other day I went out and dodged lobster pots all morning fishing the kelp edges. Mainly trolling mackerel, one fly lined and one dropper looped. Other than seeing a couple barries chasing sardines, I got no love. I decided to try to troll along the edge of the canyon with the dropper loop as I always see marks on the fish finder at around 120 feet, never gotten a bite there though.
I saw a sea lion working his way along the canyon edge coming towards me. Sure enough, after passing me he grabbed my bait. I got it away from him and he chased it all the way to the yak. He looked kind of pissed. He then started swimming away about 50 feet and coming right at me at full speed. Ever played chicken with a sea lion? At the last second, he would drop under the yak. After about four of these passes, I started to think that he might dump me if he hit me, and gave him the chewed up bait. We then parted ways. I hope I haven't encouraged bad behavior, but he seemed to be getting more and more worked up on every pass. I didn't feel like going for a swim. Any thoughts?

ctfphoto 10-11-2012 07:33 AM

Sea Lions are very aggressive. I just get more aggressive.

One tried to steal my WSB and I got it back from him with no damaged and a little fight.

Another grabbed a big sheepshead that I had hanging over the side and almost flipped me. I got that fish back with no damage as well, but I did loose a fishing pole in the ordeal.

Two holes in my hoop nets from other dogs.

I like the sea lions as I am a nature lover even tho they are a pain in the b..

They make great stories ....

Deamon 10-11-2012 07:43 AM

I was out bugging one time and I had a very aggressive one that had me just a bit concerned. I knew this dog could've messed me up big time...banging the yak and throwing things at him (Coke cans) only agitated him further.

J.Mac 10-11-2012 07:52 AM

I made a Hawaiian spear gaff to "gaff my catch." ;-) but its also nice knowing I have some sort of defense to poke back

Deamon 10-11-2012 08:18 AM

With the effervescence glow in the water at night, this beast kept charging me blowing his lungs out underneath and around the yak. It was a trip and I was thinking at any time, he was going to jump the yak, grab my stash of macks and flip me in the process.

taggermike 10-11-2012 10:52 AM

The dogs can be a serious PITA no matter what you fish from. They're just way more intemadating when you're on a yak. They have been trained that boats=fish and are damn good at it. I have had fish taken by dogs but never attacked or bumped. I have had the huge knotheads come in VERY close and then come up out of the water high enough to look down in to the tankwell and cockpit. Sorta "shopping" you might say. I try to always be mindful that they are out there and just take defensive meassures. I don't hang fish over the side or leave fish in plain view on the deck. When a dog bites a bait and all I get back is the head I don't throw the head over board until the dog has split. Like being in bear country, make precautions a habit. Mike

bus kid 10-11-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Mac (Post 136031)
I made a Hawaiian spear gaff to "gaff my catch." ;-) but its also nice knowing I have some sort of defense to poke back

Bad Idea Mac. try a paintball marker, aim for the back of the neck.

http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Marine-Mamma...-Pinnipeds.pdf

OutdoorAdvntr 10-11-2012 10:59 AM

have you tried stuffed(habanero, ghost pepper, etc.) bait and throw it on him? so it will think that what you have is no good :D

Baja_Traveler 10-11-2012 11:37 AM

Wrist rocket and a bag of marbles - that will get it's attention in a hurry.

tehburninator 10-11-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bus kid (Post 136048)
Bad Idea Mac. try a paintball marker, aim for the back of the neck.

http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Marine-Mamma...-Pinnipeds.pdf

youre right, the only thing that looks fun on that list is the paintball marker :rolleyes:
looks like another toy for when the fishing isnt the best

Necron 99 10-12-2012 12:11 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll try the bear country method. Keeping the deck clear, not hanging fish over the side, etc... As a last resort, I'll have to try some of the other methods. I have never heard of anyone getting mauled by a sea lion.

Drake 10-12-2012 11:09 AM

A slingshot and some Ice cubes.

taggermike 10-12-2012 11:13 AM

I don't think a sealion would straight out attack you unless you messed with a bull on a breeding beach. But like any big powerful carnivore, if you get between them and what they want to eat you can get hurt. Crap, i've been knocked aside by a horse heading for the alfalfa. Imagine a 600 lb dog haulling out on to your yak to get a fish and then both of you going back in to the drink together. I wouldn't call that an attack, but still. Deterents are just that, deterents. If they really want what you have they're going to get it. Talk to the guys that work on the bait recievers. If you've seen vids of the males fighting on the beaches you know that a paint ball or high speed marble is nothing compared to the hits they give each other. I doubt a .22 would make it through there hide, fat, and muscle to hit some thing vital. Mike