Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Gonzaga Bay, MX Nov 23-27 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=30229)

Denis_Ruso 11-11-2016 09:52 AM

Gonzaga Bay, MX Nov 23-27

A BWE member and I have decided we will be heading down to Gonzaga Bay over Thanksgiving Weekend, starting early morning Wednesday Nov 23th and coming back Sunday Nov 27th. We intend to drive down on Wednesday, fish from Thursday to Saturday and drive back on Sunday.

Any one care to join us?

This will be our first trip down to Gonzaga so any suggestions are welcome! Especially areas to fish, depths, how to locate structure in the bay.

I have been to Baja in the past, so I am familiar with basic rules to follow. Travel by day, Mexican insurance, passports, etc..

Dannowar 11-11-2016 12:39 PM

I plan on heading down the day you leave.

Denis_Ruso 11-11-2016 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 271794)
I plan on heading down the day you leave.

Dang... Would have been nice to have a free diving buddy.

SDROB 11-11-2016 12:54 PM

I just sent you a pm.

chris138 11-11-2016 01:03 PM

I'll be down there then... bringing spear gear as well.

Denis_Ruso 11-11-2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris138 (Post 271798)
I'll be down there then... bringing spear gear as well.

Wetsuit necessary this time of year?

I might have to pick up a reel for my gun if I'm spearing.

makobob 11-11-2016 01:59 PM

Lot's of turtles around and they eat Jelly fish, yes you might need a suit. Water should be in the high 70's or low 80's. Good hunting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 271799)

Dannowar 11-12-2016 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 271799)

Do that...99.9% reef diving besides the yellowtail that will come check you out in the open. Even then. Guess where they're gonna run...I'd suggest rigging your shooting line with coated cable and keeping it as short as possible. Be patient and get a good holding shot. These fish are strong. You don't need to be tearing off slow growing fish because you got too excited. As soon as you get a shot off HIT THE BRAKES. Even with large grouper once you turn the head you've won a majority of the battle.

Also. Bring a wetsuit. You're gonna have to schralp around some good size rocks and terrain not to mention digging fish out of holes. Rocks hurt.

Dannowar 11-12-2016 02:15 AM

Also, if you're kayaking, launch out of papa Fernandez,kayak out to punta Willard. That whole point is loaded with Pargo/cabrilla. Not too deep either. Gonzaga bay itself isn't usually a spearing hot spot.... you're gonna have to go north. Anywhere you see rocks isn't a bad gamble.

Dont shoot the golden grouper. It's bad luck.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...3f5f284629.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Druko 11-12-2016 10:20 AM

Looks like a party... Can't wait!

Denis_Ruso 11-14-2016 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 271816)
Also, if you're kayaking, launch out of papa Fernandez,kayak out to punta Willard. That whole point is loaded with Pargo/cabrilla. Not too deep either. Gonzaga bay itself isn't usually a spearing hot spot.... you're gonna have to go north. Anywhere you see rocks isn't a bad gamble.

Dont shoot the golden grouper. It's bad luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips. I need to brush up on the species available in the area.

What Depths can I expect to be diving?

Denis_Ruso 11-14-2016 07:49 AM

Also, went to Bob Sands Tackle shop and bought upgraded split rings and hooks. An assortment of jigs, wire leader and got my reels serviced.

This week will be for making sure the fluids are topped off and maintenance is done on the truck.

SDROB 11-15-2016 12:56 PM

Good news guys,

I just got off the phone with the owner of Playa Del Sol. Which is about 2 mile's north of Bobs place.
He just got back today and said they were catching Yellowtail 10-12 lbs from shore. He said the last 3 days in a row they have been killing it from the shore of his house on cabrilla, corvina and Yellowtail.

He said as soon as the sun comes up they have been boiling all around. Let's hope it lasts. Will have a lot more range on the yak and will hopefully get into some bigger models in deeper water.

makobob 11-15-2016 01:17 PM

Rob, that whole area from our place to well past the tree holds fish, specially just before high tide. Also the beach area just before reaching Punta Buefo. We pass through Sunday on our way to Asuncion. Tight Lines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDROB (Post 271948)
Good news guys,

I just got off the phone with the owner of Playa Del Sol. Which is about 2 mile's north of Bobs place.
He just got back today and said they were catching Yellowtail 10-12 lbs from shore. He said the last 3 days in a row they have been killing it from the shore of his house on cabrilla, corvina and Yellowtail.

He said as soon as the sun comes up they have been boiling all around. Let's hope it lasts. Will have a lot more range on the yak and will hopefully get into some bigger models in deeper water.

SDROB 11-15-2016 01:26 PM

What time do you guys expect to get in on Sunday? It's gonna be nice seen you, Jim and Buddha. Hopefully we can all get on the water!

Denis_Ruso 11-15-2016 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDROB (Post 271948)
Good news guys,

You really know how to get a girl excited :D

chris138 11-15-2016 03:38 PM

YEA BOI!!!!!!!!

makobob 11-15-2016 04:06 PM

With Jim driving, hard to tell, I usually arrive by 1pm. Jim should be able to make it there by noon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDROB (Post 271950)
What time do you guys expect to get in on Sunday? It's gonna be nice seen you, Jim and Buddha. Hopefully we can all get on the water!

John M 11-16-2016 07:12 AM

Bob
Colin, Fitz & I will be camping with some non kayak friends on the beach at Nuevo Mazatlan south of San Felipe. Stop by for a visit if you have time.

John

makobob 11-16-2016 07:30 AM

I would expect we will be in a HURRY, we have to load the truck when we get to our place. Tight Lines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John M (Post 271972)
Bob
Colin, Fitz & I will be camping with some non kayak friends on the beach at Nuevo Mazatlan south of San Felipe. Stop by for a visit if you have time.

John