Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How close to the Ocean do you live? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=9000)

lacofdfireman 12-25-2010 12:31 PM

How close to the Ocean do you live?

I love reading all these Ocean Fishing stories on this forum, it makes me want to be on the water as I type. Also makes me wonder how close all of you live to the waters edge? I live in Tehachapi, Ca so for me a trip to the Ocean is gonna take me 3hrs or so to get there. Not that it's a big deal but from reading some of the stories on here it seems some of you go :reel: almost every day. I have still not put my Kayak in the water to fish from yet but am hoping it's soon. I will most likely fish more freshwater than Saltwater but that's mostly due to demograpics. You guys are some lucky bastards to be able to go to the Ocean all the time like it seems like you do. Anyone else on the board here have to travel a few hours to get to the Ocean? Also having never fished at places like LJ etc is there places there to camp to make a couple days of it? RV? Trailers etc? Also Merry Christmas. I get to work at the Fire house today... :cheers1:

Regor 12-25-2010 12:44 PM

J St (Harbor) - 10 minutes
Mission Bay area - 20 minutes
La Jolla - 30'ish minutes

Overall, pretty close compared to your 3 hours.

steveooo 12-25-2010 01:29 PM

Almost exactly 100 miles from my driveway to LJ shores...

Iceman 12-25-2010 02:14 PM

little more that 1 mile to Bolsa Chica/Sunset Beach...1.3 hours La Jolla

roby 12-25-2010 02:34 PM

1hr from Malibu
1hr from Cabrillo Beach
1hr from Newport Harbor

lterrero 12-25-2010 03:04 PM

I lived in La Jolla,Ca. for 20 years, only 5 long minute to the Shores & it takes me for ever to get all my gear set up at the beach to go in the ocean. My friend Yani from Dana Point live in LA now; poor guy... I want him to move next door so we can go out fishing together more often.:)

yani 12-25-2010 03:35 PM

It takes me 1.5 hrs from Downey to LJ. But I'm only here
until I get a couple of surgerys.

I've always lived by the water, and frankly, my heart
goes out to those less fortunate. What a pain in the ass
making those long drives...

Merry Christmas to all, and don't worry Leo, like Arnold says,
I'll be back.

tunaseeker 12-25-2010 03:59 PM

lacofdfireman,

3 hrs., my heart go out to ya brother... I'm about 20 min but have not been OTW in 2 months now... Work seems to get in the way. Hopefully we cross paths, I was up at Del Valle training your new hazmat crew 2 weeks ago. Wanted to fish Castasic Lake but could not fit it in...

There is Campland by the Bay in Mission Bay that you could check out. Only about 15 min to LJ.

Merry Christmas!
Hazmat7:cheers1:

driftwood 12-25-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yani (Post 71694)
It takes me 1.5 hrs from Downey to LJ. But I'm only here
until I get a couple of surgerys.

I've always lived by the water and frankly, my heart
goes out to those less fortunate. What a pain in the ass
making those long drives...

Merry Christmas to all, and don't worry Leo, like Arnold says,
I'll be back.

Your surgery will go well Yani. Won't be long before you and i will be fishing together again and hooking up Y.T. and 50lb White Seabass just like last year. trust me on that! I'll keep you posted cause i only live 25min from La Jolla.

Come feb thru may - my business slows down and I'm home free!! Hey, I can't decide between a revo or a PA. Josh says He loves his PA over his Revo. So maybe I'll get a PA. Hope you get your soon.

lbsurf2ca 12-25-2010 05:31 PM

I'm on the waters edge in Encnitas. Blessed to live where I do. I fish la jolla every once and a while but love the local kelpbeds out front.

Anybody ever wants to paddle out in Enc or solana let me know.

FARRIER 12-25-2010 05:42 PM

My door is always open to you for those fours and six's. Im on C div here and live 10 minutes from the launch. Shoot me a pm if you wanna crash so u can launch early sometime. Patrick

bus kid 12-25-2010 06:34 PM

10 mins from Seal Beach, 15 to LB or OEX Sunset Beach 1.5 hours to La Jolla in her van or 45 mins in the bug but it cost me $$$ in gas.:D

T Bone 12-25-2010 07:06 PM

I am 111 miles from LJ.About 30ish from NPH and 45 or so from Dana pt.Just go and plan on getting a room for the night because LJ will take a lot out of you when you hit it hard.

wiredantz 12-25-2010 07:16 PM

City: Los Angeles
45 mins to Malibu
15 mins to marina del rey
1 hour to sunset beach

2 hours to la jolla

Tman 12-25-2010 07:45 PM

Ha ha...let the hate roll...

One beach - walk, 17 min
- bike, 4 min
- drive, 9 min
Other - walk, 9 min
- bike, 3 min
- drive - too long...

Merry Christmas...

jorluivil 12-25-2010 07:55 PM

The way it was raining last week in our neighborhood I was only 50' from the waters edge

City: Norwalk
LJ - Far, but not far enough to keep me away
DP - Closer, but not close enough
LB - A hop two skips and roughly four jumps away

Madbeaver 12-25-2010 09:15 PM

1.5 miles from Oside harbor, but it sucks so I drive 10 mins to carlsbad or 25 or 30mins to la jolla

StinkyMatt 12-25-2010 09:25 PM

1 hr from Newport
2 hr to LJ. Going there.....It seems like 4 hrs coming back..(including a nap in some parking lot:D)

lacofdfireman 12-25-2010 09:45 PM

Ya, just as I figured. You are all lucky to live so close. I could only dream of living somewhere near the waters edge. Not gonna happen anytime soon though since we have lost all the equity in our home. For now it's just a pipe dream. Would like to make it down that way sometime though. I have my X-Factor and Stealth 14 that have never been in Salt Water...

MVC 12-26-2010 06:39 AM

15 minutes from Newport, 30 minutes from Dana Point and 1hr 15 minutes from La Jolla but La Jolla is my favorite.