Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Stickers (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=10873)

Matar 07-15-2011 07:49 AM

Stickers

Can someone help me with tips on how to get stickers to stick to a Hobie.
Thank you

bigFISHINyak 07-15-2011 07:55 AM

Peel off the backing........ :stupid: Sorry I had to just say that and be that guy.

Darkstar 07-15-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigFISHINyak (Post 89629)
Peel off the backing........ :stupid: Sorry I had to just say that and be that guy.

ROFL .

:cheers1:

blitzburgh 07-15-2011 08:08 AM

I have always just made sure the surface area was clean with no oily residues. I haven't had any problems. Sometimes the decal itself will have weak adhesive. In that case, you might want to try adding some spray adhesive.

bus kid 07-15-2011 08:13 AM

Wash the area with Dawn dish soap and dry it thoroughly. Oh and peel off the back of the sticker. :biggrinjester:

Matar 07-15-2011 09:19 AM

OK OK I fell into that one.
I just did not know if anyone had had problems with them coming off.

bigFISHINyak 07-15-2011 09:26 AM

Here comes a legitimate answer.....no jokes from me this time. I have had multiple hobies and did not have any issues with stickers coming off. The slick surface is perfect for stickers but if you plan to put some on the top rails or anything there might be an issue as the plastic is a little more bumpy and not quite as smooth. Make sure you pick a smooth plastic area so that no air can get between the adhesive and the plastic. Also make sure your stickers are newer and haven't been sitting around for a long time because the adhesive might have gone to crap. The clean surface is a must but that has already been mentioned. Hope this response helps unlike my previous response!

Matar 07-15-2011 09:41 AM

Yah clean surface will be done, i just remember that when i had other water toys water would always get under them and peal them off.
Thank you

Holy Mackerel 07-15-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigFISHINyak (Post 89629)

This is what I was gonna say, beat me to it! :doh:

Good luck with your sticker project! :cool:

PapaDave 07-15-2011 12:01 PM

I have put a few stickers on my PA on the smooth areas and so far no problems with them sticking...

dorado50 07-15-2011 12:59 PM

It amazes me how putting on stickers can become such a project. I surly would welcome my daily life's projects to be uncomplicated such as stickers! Good luck, I know you'll be able to figure it out...

maui jim 07-15-2011 04:50 PM

Careful guys... :eek:

You'll need to hire a professional like myself, and you'll need to know the current and local and State laws concerning the proper handeling,:confused: Disposal of the backing and glues, and how to deal with todays VOC free adheasives and proper resperator reqirements..( so you dont breath in the dangerous fumes, and pollute the enviroment), with over 40 + years of adheasion skills and various application techniques.. I know stickers...

Make sure you decals are Ocean friendly...and meet all of California enviromental requirements.......:cool:

Matar 07-15-2011 05:06 PM

Sorry I asked.
Some of you remind me of the Jimmy Buffett song about him driving down I95.

speedydk 08-31-2012 09:54 AM

I know this is an old thread but in case anyone is interested I found 3M Tape Primer 94 is recommended for Triumph boat owners. The Ropelene material used to make these boats is similar to the polyethylene in our kayaks. I haven't tried it (I generally don't like stickers and stuff) but if anyone was to have an issue trying to get them to stick I thought this might help. And yes those boats do seem to be nearly as tough as our yaks and as low maintenance as it gets with an outboard attached.
Darren

eddier68 08-31-2012 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm a sticker whore myself, clean surface with alcohol, apply sticker. Good to go!

Kelp Cutter 07-10-2013 10:42 AM

sticker size?

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddier68 (Post 131461)
I'm a sticker whore myself, clean surface with alcohol, apply sticker. Good to go!

What size decals should i get for my new Cuda 14? i like that Bloodydecks!

Kelp Cutter 07-10-2013 10:44 AM

sticker size?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDave (Post 89685)
I have put a few stickers on my PA on the smooth areas and so far no problems with them sticking...

what size decals are good for kayaks? on the wesite Hook1 there are several different sizes....

Dan 07-10-2013 10:56 AM

I'm now running guided sticker placement tours of La Jolla. Plenty of Pros rocking thoughtfully placed stickers. Tours start at $250.

Kelp Cutter 07-10-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 163051)
I'm now running guided sticker placement tours of La Jolla. Plenty of Pros rocking thoughtfully placed stickers. Tours start at $250.

I'm in!

erinoo 07-10-2013 12:00 PM

Ask Wade