Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Project Reefer (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=20724)

ful-rac 01-27-2014 05:15 PM

Project Reefer

I sent my new $400 with warranty...gopro black, down to the reef on sunday after Wade's Radys tournament.

It's awesome that we can actually do this from a kayak! Thanks to the old dawg Gregandrew for pioneering this filming method. If it was not for him...I don't think I would have ever tried doing this. Especially with a 4-500 dollar gopro.

I guess If I ever lose it on the reef..I can blame him for that too. :luxhello:

:cheers1:

Enjoy the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdATKklP5q0

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UdATKklP5q0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

makobob 01-27-2014 05:29 PM

That should make you an even better butt fisherman. Nice.

rhyak 01-27-2014 05:32 PM

Very Nice Man, Greg setting the bar...

Ive dove that reef when I use to dive pretty cool structure thats for sure...

t-$money bussard 01-27-2014 06:25 PM

awsome video :luxhello:

alanw 01-27-2014 07:15 PM

Boo false advertising.

jorluivil 01-27-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 180518)
Boo false advertising.

I agree.

I saw a few pipes but they were empty. :D

IN2DEEP 01-27-2014 09:03 PM

Wayyy cool! :party:

Do you have a picture of how you have the camera rigged?

I've been wanting to send my Hero HD down under. The Hero3 stays above the water for now. Have a dive housing on order for the hero hd.
Hope to able to film up around MDR

Thanks!

Hunter (The 80's Man) 01-27-2014 11:50 PM

Really cool video. I've never seen a reef built or dove on one, but I envisioned a lot more structure.

SASQUATCH 01-28-2014 04:09 AM

Weird how the music sounds the same underwater too....D

Cool trick

Fiskadoro 01-28-2014 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 180500)
I guess If I ever lose it on the reef..I can blame him for that too. :luxhello::cheers1:

First off I love the camera stuff but I've never used a Gopro and I've got a feeling that I'm not only old school but kind of old fashion when it comes to this stuff.

Back over a decade ago there was this guy Malibu Frank that was really into lobstering and bought a aquaview underwater camera for filming his nets. When he upgraded a color model I bought his camera and used to use it for hoopnetting checking out reefs and drifting for halibut.

My Aquaview is a BW and IR underwater camera that is weighted with a keel and a hundred feet of cord and a little TV so you can see it in real time. For lobstering I'd set it up on the net then watch for lobsters to climb into it. Short of taking a vcr with you there was no way to record with it though.

Are you guys dropping a whole camera down without being able to see down there or can you see what the camera sees in real time?

I haven't played with the thing in quite a while but for me, I was always concerned with hanging it up, but at least I could see exactly where it was at any given time, and I think I paid like a hundred bucks for mine.

Your vids great it really reminds me of the time I first dropped my camera down on Hermosa reef. You think there would be structure everywhere but it's actually just some junk on the bottom really spread out.

Cool stuff thanks for the vid.

ful-rac 01-28-2014 07:54 AM

Yes we are dropping the whole entire $500 camera down there...risky but rewarding...and the bwe UNIVERSE gets to learn with us. When you have the camera deployed, you have to be glued to your fishfinder...otherwise bad things can happen, fast. You have to watch the reef and the swell to get your camera dialed in at just the right distance from the reef, and cross your fingers you don't get hung up.

No we are not watching live wireless video, the technology isn't there yet. But, we can review as soon as we retrieve the camera.

Hermosa reef is on the list of areas to check out...I know there's a couple of car bodies down there that would be interesting to see.

Fiskadoro 01-28-2014 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 180546)
Yes we are dropping the whole entire $500 camera down there...Hermosa reef is on the list of areas to check out...I know there's a couple of car bodies down there that would be interesting to see.

Dude you got some big brass ones :D

Hermosa is cool. The best part are the telephone poles which are supposedly concrete, but there is a bunch of junk down there over a wide area. I'd be careful there because some of the poles stick up several feet off the bottom.

Cameras are cool and they definitely change the way you see things. I used to play with mine a lot but burned out.

It's funny but one night I was watching mine on the IR setting hooping and it was really cold and really slow. There was a bunch of little crap in the water with some current and with the IR setting it was like watching snow blowing across the screen. After about three hours without a legal I was shivering in my boots and suddenly I was like F this I'm sitting here doing nothing, watching a blizzard on a four inch screen, no wonder I'm freezing!!

I pulled up the camera went back to standard hooping with five nets all up and down the breakwall and I don't think I've used the camera since. Were talking like eight to ten years ago. :D

You keep posting videos I might have to take it out again. Thanks for the vids they are pretty cool.

Jim

GregAndrew 01-28-2014 08:58 AM

You mean this Hermosa Reef?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XMPytkgLO7o?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bluesquids 01-28-2014 09:44 AM

If anyone ever loses one of those things, take the gps #'s .....or a marker buoy and/or visual cross bearings on land. I can maybe help go down and get it for you.

Fiskadoro 01-28-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregAndrew (Post 180553)
You mean this Hermosa Reef?

That's IT!!! :D

It's pretty amazing and as you can see some of the structure comes way up off the bottom. I got my camera hung up pretty bad there one day but I kept messing with it and eventually got it loose.

It's great that your vid is recorded and also has color. The black and white in real time is enough for you to know what your looking at but with no record of it, it's a total one off, and a completely different thing.

Jim

StinkyMatt 01-28-2014 10:41 AM

Jim, Greg and Tony should go out there together one day.

Tony and Greg run their underwater cameras while Jim utilizes his real time feedback to guide the other two guys and helps them avoid trouble. Teamwork like this would really elevate these videos to an even higher level.

Working as a team would be fun for you guys since you all have a common interest.

I for one would LOVE to see the fruit of such close teamwork.:D

ful-rac 01-28-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMatt (Post 180566)
Jim, Greg and Tony should go out there together one day.

Tony and Greg run their underwater cameras while Jim utilizes his real time feedback to guide the other two guys and helps them avoid trouble. Teamwork like this would really elevate these videos to an even higher level.

Working as a team would be fun for you guys since you all have a common interest.

I for one would LOVE to see the fruit of such close teamwork.:D

Matt your a master at making people

PUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! :ack2:

Caden 01-28-2014 08:38 PM

Good stuff Tony, been so busy about my new barbershop, work 7 days a week, no time to fish maybe for couple months