Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Monday Yard Sell (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=25452)

Johnny Bluefish 05-05-2015 06:34 PM

Monday Yard Sell

Well I'll start at the beginning. Meet Patrick at the launch at 0630 half hour late got ready realized I left my tackle tray at home. Launched anyway not bad a little ruff made bait easy on to fishing. About two hours in lost peddle drive pulled it out some 40# test for temp repair. Yellows showed up dropped yo yo down second drop on the way up yellow on seal thought it was a easy meal 15 minutes later he finally broke me off, not without showing off my fish as he eat. Decided to call it a day headed in got to about where the sail boat was anchored when my rudder control cable broke turning left into a swell happen fast over I went next thing I knew I heard my auto inflate going off up to the surface I came under my yak cleared my yak turned it right side up got back on it before I got organized next swell rolled me again lost my VHF on that on as I had just unzipped the pocket I keep it in. Got my yak right side up this time I was starting to cramp up pulled out a pen flair gun I have one miss fired three up good Lifeguards to the rescue got back on top as they got to me stripped off my waders got towed in. I don't always wear my PFD but with the swell I did. DONT GET CAUGHT DEAD WITHOUT IT. I will always wear mine I don't want to be at the bottom with my gear, wife and daughter agree. Well hope my lesson helps you to be safe. Will be back out after I can make the money for repairs and replacement gear. STAY SAFE MY FRIENDS

Caseym 05-05-2015 06:57 PM

Glad youre alright. Takes a man to swallow his pride, admit he needed and benefitted from help, then take the time to inform us all of his personal misfortune for our own safety! Glad u took the time for the community, without a doubt youre owed some gratitude...the yellow kind :yt::yt:of course!!

FISH11 05-05-2015 07:14 PM

Glad you are OK. As mentioned Thanks for manning up and telling your story, it might help someone else who thinks, it can't happen to them. It is best to be prepared for the worst. One thing I don't think most people practice is getting back in their Yak while wearing all their gear. It makes a difference and can save your life. Thanks for sharing. Better luck on your next trip. It was a real washing machine out there on Monday. I usually stay out 7 to 11 hours and on Monday I started back in at 12:20pm, way early.

iethinker 05-05-2015 07:17 PM

Thank You Johnny Bluefish!

I appreciate members being humble enough to share some of their more unfortunate moments. Its valuable and important to share critical information regarding kayak safety and lessons learned. These things can happen to any one of us. Now for sharing information about bait, terminal-tackle and fishing spots...that will remain a debate!

ful-rac 05-05-2015 07:27 PM

Sounds like an adventure....:eek:

Good on you, for man'n up to tell us your "I almost died story"....
Glad you made it back OK.

momo fish 05-05-2015 07:31 PM

Glad your ok and quick thinking made things a lot safer on your part...

And look on the bright side, you made it to the " I almost died kayaking" club...

ceviche eater 05-05-2015 07:44 PM

glad your ok

alanw 05-05-2015 09:08 PM

That stinks, wear your PFD always, good advice. What yak is it, a PA?

King Saba 05-05-2015 09:09 PM

A trip is never complete without going over. Glad your safe.

Johnny Bluefish 05-05-2015 10:49 PM

Outback

silentsmell 05-06-2015 09:33 AM

I've never considered the use of flares on a kayak. Thanks for the reality check. Very helpful report, especially before summer when we get a surge of guys braving the waters.

Kayak_Bernie 05-06-2015 09:55 AM

Glad you made it out OK, it could have ended much much worse. This is a great testament to why one should always always wear your life jacket. Unexpected things can happen and you don't always have time to grab the pfd and put it on.
Thanks for sharing your story!!

bigbarrels 05-06-2015 10:11 AM

Glad you and Patrick made it off the water in the nasty weather with mechanical issues. Way to go on putting out a safety reminder for everyone. PFD's, VHF, waterproof phone case, sump pump, whistle, compass/gps, flare

Raskal311 05-06-2015 10:39 AM

Glad you are ok and are able to share. Question can a flare gun get water logged? Can they be used if they get dunked?

TJones 05-06-2015 03:43 PM

You might as well have been fishing Monkey Land

Any fish landed? :confused:. I've done many bone head things on the water . Sometimes the elements can surprise us , much less kick us in the behind . I usually wait a year or two before I post them . Thanks for sharing your experience . What a nightmare . Your family is grateful you are alive . One manufacturer of self inflating vests has more water protection on the capsule . The pill needs to be submerged for a certain duration , as opposed to contact with water . This prevents less misfires . If you are a stong swimmer ,one option might be to make the vest a manual fire . Possibly carrying a second vest during launchings and landings . Glad you are well.

TJones 05-06-2015 03:50 PM

ORAAAAHH

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo fish (Post 227000)
Glad your ok and quick thinking made things a lot safer on your part...

And look on the bright side, you made it to the " I almost died kayaking" club...

It takes balls to step onto those yellow footprints , and balls is all it takes . When you have a near miss , such as this one . You will never forget it .

Johnny Bluefish 05-07-2015 08:31 AM

The pen flair gun I use is seal in a vacuum bag with a notch added for easy of opening once out it still fires even when wet.

undrH2Ohntr 05-07-2015 08:53 AM

Shows how quickly things can go sideways, I'm glad you are OK.