Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   This Weeks 'I Almost Died' Story (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29711)

jorluivil 08-02-2016 07:49 PM

This Weeks 'I Almost Died' Story

Can you guess the species? Sorry for the shitty camera work, it was hard trying to fight the fish and get footage at the same time.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/04kIMRKAZuQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MITCHELL 08-02-2016 08:06 PM

Looks like a white shark tail. ....

What's the story. .....

ful-rac 08-02-2016 08:30 PM

Looks like a baby wheel to me!

murphy 08-03-2016 05:57 AM

Whatever it is its the biggest fish ever caught on a
Cardiff 400

PapaDave 08-03-2016 06:24 AM

Did you hook that shark up or did it just swim by? I've had GW's come by checking out my catch occasionally out at DP, little ones.

taggermike 08-03-2016 06:58 AM

When the shark is finning the fin color looks like the shiny blue of a mako. But in the under water part it looks pale grayish of a white shark. It also looks on the thick side for a mako. Either way, you got the fish and the shark didn't make any contact. Win-win right there. Congrats. Mike

maquinapescado 08-03-2016 07:39 AM

GSW? Is that for Great Sewer White?

stairman 08-03-2016 08:05 AM

The border between white and the colored portion of a gws is irregular...you were there what did you see?....it is allso much more of a very defined white to darker color border makos' are more of an indistinct gradual color change.The tail shape on makos and gws are very similar but that cut water keel in front of the tail was wider then the dimensions of most mako's i've seen

conclusion......none
guess possible gws but i wouldn't bet the mortgage payment on it

btw that camera work didn't rise to the level of horrible lol

jorluivil 08-03-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDave (Post 266685)
Did you hook that shark up or did it just swim by? I've had GW's come by checking out my catch occasionally out at DP, little ones.

I had a greenback at the bottom in about 85' of water.

Pinhead 08-03-2016 02:25 PM

Camera work .... meh .......but top notch music selection and mixing. I was on the edge of my seat.

And a big *Atta-Boy* for getting out there and mixing it up!

Dave Legacy 08-03-2016 04:05 PM

There's not much evidence to work with, but you did get a pretty good shot of a top or bottom view of the tail and what struck me was the lacking of prominently defined keels. I feel like it's something that I have noticed in small makos, but not made much note of on Great Whites. My guess is GWS.

GregAndrew 08-03-2016 05:46 PM

Chupacamidshipman for sure.

Aaron&Julie 08-03-2016 05:56 PM

With the width of the body just right before reaching the tail, I'd guess GWS.

MITCHELL 08-05-2016 03:08 PM

Could you elaborate some more. .....

On the part where you said I almost died I'm assuming the fear factor was overwhelming did it try to bite ya

Rufus 08-06-2016 08:11 AM

My two cents....the cadual keel was really wide on this animal for it's size. Favor: WS. The pelvic fins were fixed and triangular and didn't seem to have a separate trailing edge like a mako. Favor: WS. Swimming style was a bid lazy and flexible. Makos swim like a wound up rubber band, kinda like a tuna. Favor:WS.

My guess: The man in the grey suit coming to collect the rent. A whitey.

FISH11 08-06-2016 08:17 AM

Hey Jorge, I'm not 100% sure but it looks like a "Johnny Bass" Ha Ha Ha.

HobieOneCanoebe 08-06-2016 04:58 PM

Just my input 1 A mako would've jumped 2 that size of mako would not be landable on that tackle they are very angry sharks, they take huge runs and jump multiple times that shark didn't even look like it cared that it was hooked lol 3 holy shit that's scary that looks like a smaller version of the fin I saw off of solona! good job making it home safe! :you_rock:

FullFlavorPike 08-08-2016 12:01 PM

whitey!

knightnsd 08-08-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike (Post 267024)
whitey!

my same thought, I went up north Friday to San Clemente on my striper and passed a huge shark 15 miles off Oside, water was dark as it was cloudy all day but the tail splashed out of the water maybe 6 feet behind a large 14-16 inch dorsal as we pulled alongside of it. Even in the dark water that day and small wind-chop I saw that fin from far away. Maybe 2 hours earlier we had left some spear-gunners in on the paddy holding dodos that were as lock-jawed as the bft we chased all day.

heard of one hookup on a bft, other was a porpoise, the bft's ate chovies around everyone most of the day and passed on everything else