Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   First WHITEY... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=1516)

Pat 01-03-2007 09:50 AM

First WHITEY...

...SHARK of the year! :shock:

Conditions were stellar this morning, but nothing came of it.

Paddling in at 9am in the reserve (375 ft of water) I noticed a ripple moving along about 100 feet away to my left. No fin protruding but the ripple was clearly moving along.

It suddenly turned and started coming at me, at about 60 feet the ripple sank out. About 2 seconds later an ~12 ft grey topped, white sided, pointed head, large gills and dorsal swam right by the back of my kayak at about 10 mph about 5 feet under the surface. I got a great look at it perfectly down glare, and the water is ~15 vis.

Got the juices flowing for sure.

Second trip in a row that I haven't seen a seal or sea lion all morning.

BTW: It's not April 1st. :)

Holy Mackerel 01-03-2007 10:04 AM

BS without pics! :)

Just kidding, damn that would be scary as hell, makes me shaky just reading about it, glad it didn't bite into your kayak, must have been an amazing site to see!

tylerdurden 01-03-2007 10:16 AM

Who wants to swim from the cove to the buoy and back now? With all the little to mid size makos around and this big brother, feet up.

Grego 01-03-2007 10:17 AM

Amazing, damn lucky you had that kelp/tree camouflage yak so it couldn't see you.

aguachico 01-03-2007 10:20 AM

Pat;

that white just knew your too much of a bad ass to mess with.

I watched a shark tourney on cable. Guys fishing Mako in Socal chummed up a 15ft GWS. This shark was so big it scared off a big mako then it started bouncing off the sporty.

AC

FISHIONADO 01-03-2007 10:26 AM

Is your yak gray on the bottom? Maybe it thought you were a potential mate? :twisted:

Arne 01-03-2007 10:32 AM

Re: First WHITEY...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat
Second trip in a row that I haven't seen a seal or sea lion all morning.

I'd much rather see the greysuit than one of them damned sealions.
Arne

madscientist 01-03-2007 10:38 AM

With all the little seal mcnuggets that have been around I guess it was only a matter of time till mr. smiley showed up. Might want to give the newspaper a call. Maybe if we get some press out about how the seals are attracting the sharks they will finally kick the little bastards out of the children's pool.

Shame you were in the reserve. How cool would it be to see that thing boil on an iron? 8)

Thanks for making my morning paddles out in the dark a little bit more exciting. :shock:

Corey 01-03-2007 10:49 AM

AWESOME!!!!!!! Wow Pat, that must've been a thrill. I can't imagine how exciting that must've been. I don't think I'd want to see one any bigger than that, though!

madscientist 01-03-2007 11:30 AM

Anybody wanna make a seal shaped cutout from a boogie board and go trolling?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Ob8UUmN_Y

Holy Mackerel 01-03-2007 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madscientist

What an awesome beast... :shock: 8)

Corey 01-03-2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madscientist
Anybody wanna make a seal shaped cutout from a boogie board and go trolling?

I'm game. From a real boat, that is.

Adi?

lamb 01-03-2007 11:49 AM

I'm here.

That's scarry chit if you ask me. :shock: Me no like sharkz.

I just told Jasmin to charges batteries on our skiff for a possible trip tomorrow in the AMs...

Ya' know, it's important to air ventilate you kayak every once in a while. :alien:

gary sullivan 01-03-2007 11:54 AM

I guess we won't see Adi out in his kayak for awhile. :lol:

madscientist 01-03-2007 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamb
I just told Jasmin to charges batteries on our skiff for a possible trip tomorrow in the AMs...

Need some chum?

dmr 01-03-2007 12:37 PM

I saw you paddling on your way in. I must have been in the shark free zone. I had a teenage sealion follow my iron up to the rod tip and proceed to harass me for a few minutes. At least he left my deep bait alone.

I saw a few people swimming the short route near your shark sighting spot around 10:00. That would something to see through your googles.

Beautiful day, but no fish.

Iceman 01-03-2007 01:46 PM

3 foot surf scares me more than 12 foot sharks :lol: :lol: :lol: I am charging up the head cam for tomorrow!

Zed 01-03-2007 02:16 PM

T-Man,
As your friend I strongly suggest you don't try it, Clay or no Clay!

Zed

Tman 01-03-2007 03:16 PM

Yah, don't think I would cast to that...it could have been my dog, after fattening up on some holiday sea lion meals...

Ya know, I always wanted to hand feed a Mako....scratching that off my list of things to do one day...

Hook 1 01-03-2007 04:45 PM

Dam Pat, that will make you go turtle.
T-Man.........pu$$y.