Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   First Cabo Dorado (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32649)

Baja Marty 03-12-2018 05:20 PM

First Cabo Dorado

1 Attachment(s)
Fishing has been scratchy here. The bait guys aren't working nearby rocks any longer. I have to hope to flag down a bait boat passing by, so it's hit or miss. Then 2/3rds of my bait died due to brain lock. I was 10 minutes from skunking when this little guy attacked my last lively Sardina.

I know, it's on the small side for a Dorado. But it's a keeper, my first from a kayak and meaty enough for dinner.

Will give it one more try before heading home.

sculpins4bait 03-12-2018 05:56 PM

Congrats. How hard is it to catch your own bait down there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baja Marty 03-12-2018 06:57 PM

I gave up making my own bait. The brown bait I was catching with sabiki jigs wasn't productive. Fish here want Sardinas, and you need to use throw nets to get them off the rocks. That's hard enough from a skiff, impossible from a 'yak.

Otherwise jigs work fine when the bite is on.

JohnMckroidJr 03-12-2018 09:16 PM

Congratulations on your first kayak Dorado ! Off Sth Florida the hardest thing about Mahi is finding them. They are normally not too picky -- when live bait is too big, or used up, I have taken them on strip baits. Consider bringing a few frozen Sardinas with you. Troll nose hooked on on a light lead head, and it would not surprise me if a DoDo swallows the whole thing.
Cheers.

MITCHELL 03-13-2018 05:08 AM

They will find you if your on a rock pile working the bottom.

I would have some cut bait ready to chum them, anything you got sardines Bonita squid they will hit Chuck bait or lures ...they don't call them dodos for nothing, I have caught them on cedar plugs, tuna feathers, rapalas, crocodiles.My next venture is popers,congratulations good eating fish tuff adversary to catch and gaff :cheers1:

Iceman 03-13-2018 08:15 AM

Another feather in your cap! Congrats!:luxhello:

kurt 03-13-2018 11:37 AM

I'd take it! Watch it grow as time passes. Nice job.

Baja Marty 03-13-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 291034)
Congratulations on your first kayak Dorado ! Off Sth Florida the hardest thing about Mahi is finding them. They are normally not too picky -- when live bait is too big, or used up, I have taken them on strip baits. Consider bringing a few frozen Sardinas with you. Troll nose hooked on on a light lead head, and it would not surprise me if a DoDo swallows the whole thing.
Cheers.

Good tip. I have a bunch in my freezer and will try that. Thanks!

Baja Marty 03-13-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 291040)
Another feather in your cap! Congrats!:luxhello:

Thanks Andy!

I'm trying to convince my neighbor to buy a Revo for fishing. Since he's from Calgary it would make sense to buy from you for shipment to Mexico.... Will keep you posted.

Valek 03-20-2018 11:25 PM

Very nice for kayak catch!
:cheers1: