Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   LJ 9/20: First YT on the yak! (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35737)

Salty 09-21-2020 09:35 PM

LJ 9/20: First YT on the yak!

5 Attachment(s)
Finally landed my first yellowtail on the kayak at La Jolla this Sunday. Pretty awesome experience and not one I'll be quick to forget. Definitely nothing like landing one on a boat, that's for sure!

Thanks again to everyone here that provided tips for how to safely launch/land through the surf. Launched around first light and the waves were significantly larger and more consistent this time. So even though there was a little adrenaline going after punching through a few sets, kayak stayed upright, all gear stayed secure and all reels and electronics stayed dry(even if I didn't...). Again, really appreciate everyone here that's allowed me to learn from their knowledge and experience. Can't wait to get back out there!

soyaky 09-21-2020 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 310705)
Finally landed my first yellowtail on the kayak at La Jolla this Sunday. Pretty awesome experience and not one I'll be quick to forget. Definitely nothing like landing one on a boat, that's for sure!

Thanks again to everyone here that provided tips for how to safely launch/land through the surf. Launched around first light and the waves were significantly larger and more consistent this time. So even though there was a little adrenaline going after punching through a few sets, kayak stayed upright, all gear stayed secure and all reels and electronics stayed dry(even if I didn't...). Again, really appreciate everyone here that's allowed me to learn from their knowledge and experience. Can't wait to get back out there!

That’s so awesome! One day I’ll get out there.

YakDout 09-22-2020 05:04 AM

Right in front of the 1/2 day boat. Love when that happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the dude 09-22-2020 07:12 AM

that's a legit 1st, congrats!

Sully1 09-22-2020 07:20 AM

Great bendo shot. That's how its done. How about that fight on your talica, must have been a reel treat!

ProfessorLongArms 09-22-2020 07:57 AM

DUUUUDE. Nice catch!!!

Way to share the stoke. Awesome photos and write up :you_rock:

Also I’ve kind of come to love having a wave completely take the bow and cover me head to toe on launch...
Better than coffee some days.

I’ve found the more you do it, the more confidence you get, the less stressful it is. Always a little “pucker factor” but less dread more excitement

govomit 09-22-2020 08:37 AM

LJ waters were full of boats Sunday late afternoon. 'New Seaforth' reported 10 YT in the morning. Wonder whether there were more unreported YT catches that day...

cris 09-22-2020 09:33 AM

Nice work man!!

Thanks for the report, heading out there after work today.

C

JohnMckroidJr 09-22-2020 09:43 AM

Well Done! Congratulations! :yt:

fishnfoool 09-22-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by govomit (Post 310711)
LJ waters were full of boats Sunday late afternoon. 'New Seaforth' reported 10 YT in the morning. Wonder whether there were more unreported YT catches that day...

Of course there were. Gotta keep the secret. Don't want a million kayakers there or boaters.

NiksYak 09-22-2020 10:52 AM

Great. Congratulations. Hope you get many more. I'll be trying my luck there in a few weeks.

Salty 09-22-2020 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 310707)
Right in front of the 1/2 day boat. Love when that happens

LOL yeah it pulled me in closer to the cattle boat and I got a couple hoots when I brought it up. That was pretty awesome

Salty 09-22-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the dude (Post 310708)
that's a legit 1st, congrats!

Thanks dude! Was super stoked on it. Who am I kidding, I'm still stoked on it haha

Salty 09-22-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully1 (Post 310709)
Great bendo shot. That's how its done. How about that fight on your talica, must have been a reel treat!

Thanks! Talica is a hell of a reel. In all honesty, I got this way before I got my kayak and it's been my go-to SCI/paddy hopping setup for a while. Never intended it to be a kayak reel initially, but it's a perfect little YT setup, so I take it every time! And I'm especially glad I had it this time too

Salty 09-22-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms (Post 310710)
DUUUUDE. Nice catch!!!

Way to share the stoke. Awesome photos and write up :you_rock:

Also I’ve kind of come to love having a wave completely take the bow and cover me head to toe on launch...
Better than coffee some days.

I’ve found the more you do it, the more confidence you get, the less stressful it is. Always a little “pucker factor” but less dread more excitement

Happy to share the stoke! It's the least I can do for you guys :cheers1:
And it's funny; I've surfed my whole life in a range of conditions and sizes. As we were getting ready to launch that morning watching how much bigger the waves were than last time and making ourselves more nervous, I looked at my buddy and said, "Dude, wtf! I've never been so sketched out by 2-3' surf in my life!" So we just laughed and went for it. The "pucker factor" is definitely real though... I had coffee in my dry bag too, so I was definitely awake!

Salty 09-22-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiksYak (Post 310718)
Great. Congratulations. Hope you get many more. I'll be trying my luck there in a few weeks.

Thanks! Good luck out there! Water's still warm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 310713)
Well Done! Congratulations! :yt:

Thanks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cris (Post 310712)
Nice work man!!

Thanks for the report, heading out there after work today.

C

Thanks! Good luck, hope you get bit out there :yt:

SoCalEDC 09-22-2020 01:47 PM

Nice catch man :you_rock:

LEEZO 09-22-2020 04:00 PM

very nice catch. congrats!:reel:

FISH11 09-22-2020 05:41 PM

Congrats on the first kayak Yellowtail. That first kayak Yellowtail, taste better than any you've pull in on a boat, because it involved more work on your part. Like mentioned above I love that bendo shot, cause you don't get to feel than power from a boat. No matter what the La Jolla surf forecast many times the surf is higher or has bigger sets when it's your turn to launch. I love the comment to your buddy, WTF! I have said that to myself many times when surf looks easy while setting up and when ready to launch they are twice the size. Yellowtail always look better on the deck of a kayak than on the deck of a boat. Love the shot in front of 1/2 day boat. Guys in boats always get a kick out of seeing a guy in a kayak land a nice Yellowtail. I always wondered if they are thinking how much they had to pay for the trip and tips as compared to the guy on the kayak not having had to pay and getting a little exercise to boot.

Jxjones 09-22-2020 06:03 PM

Nice catch. You never forget your first...congrats!